Does wigginton injury keep him here an extra year?

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
So, first off, I hope Lindell recovers quickly and has an amazing season along with the team as a whole. But if he doesnt get back for awhile, do you think it would make him more likely to want/need to return for his junior year?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I hope not, for his sake. I think he'll go either way. Hell, if he comes back and is basically the same guy as last year, but has a stretch of games late where he really looks capable of running the point effectively, that might be all he needs to get the look.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Depends on how he comes back from the injury.

This. It's not a question of how much time he misses, it's what he's able to do once he comes back. Even if the injury is slow to heal and costs him all or most of December that still leaves him with a chance to put together a strong stretch of play.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I don't think so. He'll have plenty of time to recover before summer, unless it is something that nags for an extended period.

• Agree
Reactions: King David

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This type of injury should not hinder his shot to be a first rounder. Still needs to perform well in conference play but we always knew that.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Think Kyrie Irving. What did he play for Duke...5 games? If Lindell recovers to any degree, he's probably gone.

• Agree
Reactions: kilroy

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Doubtful he sticks around regardless. I know he wants to be a first rounder, and the injury may hinder that a bit, but these guys do so much NBA draft prep with the combine and team workouts that if he's healthy going into those it shouldn't matter.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Not sure what he’s going to play in the NBA because he’s not a point guard.
So far, I agree. This year was/is big for him, in that regard. He will get drafted but this could affect how early.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Won’t likely impact decision. He really wants to go this year so I’m expecting it even if he slips to 2nd round.

There are some questions about his position in the NBA and I think answering that will be a focus come conference time.

• Agree
Reactions: Dingus

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was just thinking last night that the way Shayok plays plus having multiple options on offense now in Jacobson, Lard, and THT to compete with Wigginton's stats at least from a scoring standpoint could suffer a bit since by the time he gets back and up to 100% Shayok will have become our primary scorer and there may just not be as many shots available for Wigginton as there was last year when he had to carry the bulk of the scoring responsibilities. That's not a bad thing from a team standpoint but Wigginton's future in the NBA is likely at PG with him being 6-2 188 he's a bit undersized for a SG or wing player at the next level. The injury probably is a setback for his NBA hopes because he will need to be 100% healthy plus have to find his role on this team that will have played at least a handful of games or more by the time he returns.

Right now most places have him at a 2nd round pick before the injury. He could improve on that with a good season obviously but looking at how this team is built he's going to have to be a more efficient player than he was last season with his shooting % and turnovers to take that next step forward and be in the conversation of a 1st round lock. If he goes cold shooting or is careless with the ball in a game this year there is a lot more depth on this team that could potentially take away touches and minutes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Somebody brought up Kyrie --

Does this injury cause Wigginton to just shut it down and worry about the next level?

I can see the logic in that from his standpoint in avoiding further injury. Then again, Wigginton was never the presumed first overall pick like Irving was, so he probably has to play himself into the First Round against the Big 12 this season.

...Right?

I do not think that would happen. If he and Lard come back 100% with what we already have, this is going to be a very good basketball team in 2019.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think he wants to go no matter what and will be gone no matter what.

I'm not sure his pro stock is as high as everyone thinks - he's not a great true PG and that's the only position he can play in the NBA IMO.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I was just thinking last night that the way Shayok plays plus having multiple options on offense now in Jacobson, Lard, and THT to compete with Wigginton's stats at least from a scoring standpoint could suffer a bit since by the time he gets back and up to 100% Shayok will have become our primary scorer and there may just not be as many shots available for Wigginton as there was last year when he had to carry the bulk of the scoring responsibilities. That's not a bad thing from a team standpoint but Wigginton's future in the NBA is likely at PG with him being 6-2 188 he's a bit undersized for a SG or wing player at the next level. The injury probably is a setback for his NBA hopes because he will need to be 100% healthy plus have to find his role on this team that will have played at least a handful of games or more by the time he returns.

Right now most places have him at a 2nd round pick before the injury. He could improve on that with a good season obviously but looking at how this team is built he's going to have to be a more efficient player than he was last season with his shooting % and turnovers to take that next step forward and be in the conversation of a 1st round lock. If he goes cold shooting or is careless with the ball in a game this year there is a lot more depth on this team that could potentially take away touches and minutes.

First this thread need to tap the breaks on trying to predict in November on Wigginton's draft stock. A lot can happen over the next 7 months, injury and overall team dynamic and the results of the season. That was always the case and will be for all the players. (Granted that isn't what message boards are for but still.)

For this point, I think this having additional options will actually help Lindell's stock. Last year he was forced to be the leading scorer every game and was the primary focus of the defense. Credit to him he proved he could produce in that situation thus getting the attention from the NBA. During the evaluation scouts questioned if Lindell's handle and running an offense as a PG (his best position as a pro) to get into the first round. Having other players that can finish off possible assists, help space the floor and overall demand the defense attention will give LW the opportunity to show those skills. If he can get a jump in his assists and lower his turnovers his stock will rise, and he can do that and score more efficiently to get ~16+ pts per game like last year.