Dog Problem

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Sorry to jack your thread, but we're having some issues with our dog as well. She is also a 9 year old lab/border collie mix, who has had the luxury of a fenced yard for most of her life, up until we moved last month. We have been trying to train her to stay in the yard, and use a tether as much as possible, but she still gets away every once in a while. Since she is older, she doesn't go far, but I know it is probably ******* off our new neighbors. A privacy fence is really not an option, and we are looking into an electric fence, but we're not sure how a 9 year old dog will handle it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Forget the train her to stay there. My know-it-all nephew-in-law wanted to do this with our dog. First rabbit across the street, chasing the dog all over town. I think this is one not to try and teach the old dog.

RynoISU

Oct 28, 2010
Urbandale, IA
Forget the train her to stay there. My know-it-all nephew-in-law wanted to do this with our dog. First rabbit across the street, chasing the dog all over town. I think this is one not to try and teach the old dog.

So do you think the electric fence will work? Kind of the same issue with the "teaching an old dog" problem.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
So do you think the electric fence will work? Kind of the same issue with the "teaching an old dog" problem.

I have my doubts. I can teach my five year old dog fun tricks still but the time is over for taking away anything he already enjoys. I am a little scared to do anything that might hurt him at all, he was abused before we got him and it has been a challenging and rewarding journey. He was so scared of steps when we first got him, I couldn't stand for him to get zapped by a fence. Still they are all different, might work for yours, it is a big investment though.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We had to leave our dog with my sister the first winter we went to FL since the place we were staying (no choice at the time) did not allow pets.

Sister said she sat by the door and whined for us for 2 or 3 days then slowly adapted to the new environment and people.

We felt, "Awwww, isn't that sweet, she misses us SOOOOoooo much."

Then the next year after we bought our own place (in a bldg where small dogs are allowed), we, of course, brought her with us. Turns out she whined and carried on there for a couple days before settling down and adjusting.

Turns out she didn't miss US so much as her familiar environment.

So, I'm guessing after all this time it's just the change - and not that there's something evil or bad about the basement. I would venture to guess that eventually the dog would adjust to the basement, too. Of course if you're moving that's not any kind of long term goal. But just getting used to changes might actually help it when you move to your new place.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
If you're having dog problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a dog ain't one.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Update. We decided to give him full access to the house today. It's a risky move, but we had done this in the past for quite a while, until he got into something he shouldn't have (my fault for leaving it out). Without going into details, for his safety, we put him back in the kennel during the day when that happened.

Well, we "dog proofed" a bit, and just let him go. Now, we'll see how he does with himself. Might be looking at a 100% carpet credit for any potential new resident :smile:

For the longest time we used to lock out dogs in our unfinished basement during the day while we were at work. About 6 months ago we finished the basement and decided to give them free reign of the house while we are away and haven't had a single problem since then. Hopefully you guys have a similar experience!

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Sorry to jack your thread, but we're having some issues with our dog as well. She is also a 9 year old lab/border collie mix, who has had the luxury of a fenced yard for most of her life, up until we moved last month. We have been trying to train her to stay in the yard, and use a tether as much as possible, but she still gets away every once in a while. Since she is older, she doesn't go far, but I know it is probably ******* off our new neighbors. A privacy fence is really not an option, and we are looking into an electric fence, but we're not sure how a 9 year old dog will handle it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mouse traps. Lots of them.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Trust me, it's not ideal for anyone. I know he doesn't like it and I don't either. It makes my wife and me sick to our stomachs knowing he's having an issue, and I realize he would probably be better suited on a farm or something, but things happen.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice from everyone kind enough to offer. I definitely have some ideas.

Understood. Hey, if you want to keep the dog off the furniture, put mouse traps on the couch and whatnot. Works like a charm. It'll also help keep him from eating the cushions!

I had a blue heeler years ago. Loved that dog. The now ex-wife hit him with our car. Stupid beotch! No, I'm not talking about the dog.

Good luck!

Help Support Us

Become a patron