Door County Trip

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Since this is turning into a travel forum….

Wife and I are doing a long weekend in early June for our 10th anniversary. One night in Sturgeon Bay, 2 nights in Sister Bay.

Our plan is to basically bike around the peninsula as well as Washington Island over 3 days. 50-60 miles each day, with plenty of stops at bars/wineries/breweries as well as hitting up spots like Peninsula State Park, and Whitefish Dunes/Cave Point Park too. At night we’ll go out in the aforementioned towns.

Just looking for some recs, tips, and advice from folks more seasoned with area. I went twice in grade school (early 90’s) and my wife has never been.

Reactions: baller21

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I went about 20 years ago and it's a pretty area. Washington Island is worth the trip. I was underwhelmed with the fish boil that they really promote up there. I wouldn't say not to do it as you get lots of food but I think I had it built up in my mind that it was something really cool to see and it basically wasn't anything worth watching.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Reactions: isucyfan

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Great thread. Headed there camping in August and haven't researched the area yet.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
There is an outdoor theater that is called Norther Sky Theater Park that is really cool. The shows are based around Wisconsin type of things. It is in Fish Creek. There is a lavender farm on Washington Island that is interseting. Al Johnson's Swedish restaurant in Sister Bay is good food and their claim to fame is that they have live goats on the sodded roof outside. A lot of the towns have little restaurants and shops that are neat too.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Love DC. Great resource here: https://www.doorcounty.com/discover/guides-and-reports

Fish Boil... meh.

Edgewood orchard galleries is a good stop (friend owns it).
Eat the cherry pies ..... or just the cherries (prolly too soon for this years crop).
Lakeside park is nice and has easy access (they do a polar plunge every Jan 1st).
Lastly Egg Harbor in the evening is top notch.

Enjoy your trip.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am correct in my analysis that a car is necessary to get around? Would rather fly-in but it wouldn't be worth it to then have to rent a car.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There is an outdoor theater that is called Norther Sky Theater Park that is really cool. The shows are based around Wisconsin type of things. It is in Fish Creek. There is a lavender farm on Washington Island that is interseting. Al Johnson's Swedish restaurant in Sister Bay is good food and their claim to fame is that they have live goats on the sodded roof outside. A lot of the towns have little restaurants and shops that are neat too.
We’re staying 2 blocks from Al Johnson’s

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Oh and if you are driving through Oshkosh I am insanely biased but HIGHLY recommend going to the EAA museum. We have a lot of really cool, different and historic aircraft there.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It's not Door County, and I'm not sure how you're getting there, but if you're at any point passing through or near Baraboo I'd highly recommend Driftless Glen Distillery. The food is amazing, and their bourbon is solid. I had a walleye dish and a blackberry Old Fashioned that kind of changed my life.

Enjoy your trip.
I live in far northeast Iowa. I’ll go through La Crosse. Baraboo is on my day trip list though

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Everyone traveling to my fave places today. And I'm onboarding to a new client and have little to do yet.

So we've done DC four times now, about to book our fifth. Caveat, we've always gone with young kids so restaurant experience is mostly carryout.

We've always stayed in or very near Fish Creek.

Peninsula State Park -

Hikes - Eagle Trail is the best but definitely a little iffy in spots. Though the 4yr old has made it twice and I've done it with a baby in a pack. But have needed spouse's help a few times.

Biking the 10 mile loop in Peninsula park is really fun. We always rent from Edge of Park literally at the entrance. If you go when it's warm, stop for a picnic at Nicolet Beach. They do have food trucks now as well.

The new tower is great, definitely do that. There are other hikes as well and lots of lookout points.

Whitefish/Caves - so I'd recommend going on a windy day to see Caves at their best but it might make Whitefish unenjoyable because it gets SO windy on the lake side. The beach itself is gorgeous. We've done the longer Whitefish hikes in the fall on calm days and that was very peaceful.

Bailey's Harbor food - Chives and ...think it's called the Market something.

Newport is the dark sky park and we've hiked once through to a little cove which was neat - probably very buggy in summer. Bea's Ho-Made is up there and worth a stop.

Ferry gets full and I'd try to get to Gill's Rock before 10 to get in line. But we also did that for the first time last August when it was peak visiting time. But lavender fields were in full bloom and that was cool. I was coming down sick that day so I didn't have as much fun - but we hit up Schoolhouse beach with the cool rocks and then Sand Dunes beach which was so beautiful. I felt like **** though and mostly napped on the beach.

Hiking at the county parks is good too - especially liked Door Bluff. Ellison has a great lookout and stairs out closer to the water.

The Ridges Sanctuary was very cool to hike as well and has a lighthouse you can tour. We haven't done Cana yet because it's been closed for reno.

Sister Bay in the summer is really nice - the main beach had food carts, music, and very shallow water, good sand. We haven't been to the Pebble Beach yet. Chop and Lure are great for food. Door County Creamery with all the goat stuff was good for cheese and ice cream. One Barrel is a fun spot in the summer.

Fish Creek - I hate sharing this but Fika is the very best bakery ever in the entire world. So good and delicious so only go when I'm not there! Cinnamon rolls are to die for. Restaurants are changing lately with staffing - Blue Horse is another great breakfast spot as is Julie's. White Gull is famous for their stuffed cherry french toast but imo Julie's is just as good. Fish boils are popular but we haven't done because little kids. Thyme was pretty good for dinner as well but we have new places I want to try this summer.

The amazing ice cream/pie spot is getting new ownership but last fall we stayed down the street from Not Licked Yet's last week open and we went every night. I think their cherry pie is the best. Custard is great too.

The ice cream place in Sister Bay - something factory is also great. Wilson's in Ephraim is skippable, imo. I know that's sacrilege but it's Cedar Crest Ice Cream, it's nothing fancy.

Egg Harbor - skip Mezzanine for food. We had really good food at a place that did kind of southern brunch - Big Easy I think. Spouse really liked that.

A lot of places are closed Mon/Tues night so that's usually when we get Wild Tomato but just check around because staffing has been a big issue so it can be hit or miss if places are doing carry out, taking reservations, etc.
Wickman House and Trixie's are both super popular fancy restaurants - we'd like to go but not with kids. If I were doing an adult only trip I'd go and you'll want reservations for Wickman way in advance.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Fish boil is overrated. Lots of food but the food tasted bland. (It’s boiled fish, I prefer it prepared another way.)

Pub on Washington island is a must.

Plan on a long wait at Al Johnson’s and try to go at a non-peak time.