do's and don'ts of the best man's wedding speech

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
1) don’t be afraid to tell a funny story about the groom, but for the love of Christ, keep it to something completely non-sexual. The best best-man speech I witnessed involved the one brother telling a hilarious drunk idiot story about the brother getting married that had the room in tears.

2) don’t get hammered. A buzz is fine, and helps if you’re someone who is a little stiff sober. But slurring your speech and rambling loses everyone and you look like a dumb ass.

3) prepare in advance. Nothing wrong with ad libbing, but know your main points. When I did my brother’s wedding speech, the theme was built around how he went through intense phases of interest in a subject or hobby, but his wife was the first thing in his life that stuck. My SIL was in tears.

4) Keep it quick. 2-3 minutes tops. Like a good pop song. It’s awful when the speeches drag on because no one can piss or get a refill.

5) if you’re inserting an inside joke, don’t linger on the reference. The people who get it will get it. The people who don’t will be confused.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Once attended a wedding where the maid of honor was talking about how many men the bride had dated before meeting the groom, when the groom's father yelled out, "How MANY? We wanta KNOW."

Yeah, no, that marriage did not last long.

Hope your speech went/goes better for everyone's sake.
Went to a wedding once where the father of the bride gave a speech. In reference to the groom, he said “when she brought him home I was not a big fan. To be honest I’m still not a huge fan. But she loves him, so..”

He did not laugh. It was not a a joke.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
The easiest best man speech should sound something like this, "A best man's speech should not last longer than the amount of time it take the groom to make love after the party. I'm out of time, have a good night!" add the mic drop if you want.

Reactions: madguy30

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am also doing this in a few months for the first time. Following the thread but nothing said is world shattering.

The big discussion is do I bring up or do something with the Maid of Honor, the sister of the bride, and it's been a running joke for several years that we should date/marry. I'm leaning no since it's too inside of a joke at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Years ago, we went to a wedding where the best man told the groom, his actual brother, that he "considered him a brother". He wasn't joking. I wish I could remember what other dumb things he said, but my wife and I were in tears from laughing by the end. It was the greatest and must unintentionally funny best man speech I've ever heard.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Years ago, we went to a wedding where the best man told the groom, his actual brother, that he "considered him a brother". He wasn't joking. I wish I could remember what other dumb things he said, but my wife and I were in tears from laughing by the end. It was the greatest and must unintentionally funny best man speech I've ever heard.
A friend mentioned that he went to a wedding where the best man, the actual brother said “I have known him for a long time.”…….

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones01

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I am also doing this in a few months for the first time. Following the thread but nothing said is world shattering.

The big discussion is do I bring up or do something with the Maid of Honor, the sister of the bride, and it's been a running joke for several years that we should date/marry. I'm leaning no since it's too inside of a joke at this point.
Inside jokes told in front of crowds never go well.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

If you can subtly mix it in where it doesn't impact the flow or confuse the audience

Otherwise stay away

Reactions: cowgirl836

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A friend mentioned that he went to a wedding where the best man, the actual brother said “I have known him for a long time.”…….
I went to a wedding where the best man, the groom's brother, was telling a story about the groom and stammered "So, as many of you know, my brother and I grew up together...as siblings often do.". He actually got a pretty good laugh out of the crowd.

Reactions: cstrunk

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I’ve done this a few times. Here are my pointers (some have already said these):
  • Make the focus the bride/groom, not you.
  • Mix in humor but keep it tasteful. There’s a line here depending on your relationship with the couple.
  • Have a point to the stories you’re telling. It needs to tie to the marriage. (An easy one is a story about when they met or the first time your buddy told you about this girl)
  • Look up YouTube videos on basic story structure (before, change, after, etc)
  • Don’t try and memorize it or rely on your notes if you can avoid it.
  • Above all, speak from the heart. That’s the most important thing.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I wish someone had given this advice to my wife's underage sister.

Just kidding it was hilarious. Still hold it over her head 11 years later.
At least the best man speech from that wedding was great

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

The MoH isn't into pizza knivers so you have no chance.

Reactions: BCClone

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Went to a wedding once where the father of the bride gave a speech. In reference to the groom, he said “when she brought him home I was not a big fan. To be honest I’m still not a huge fan. But she loves him, so..”

He did not laugh. It was not a a joke.
Yeah, I've been to some weddings where the "mic time" was a bit much (dads, best man, maid of honor, sisters, etc) and I've seen similar to what you shared....more a short courtship and all speeches had a weird "haven't known them long, but seem to be a great fit"

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe