Double secret probation parking?

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
We have some friends that are going to drive in NEXT Saturday (SEPT 17th) morning for the Ohio game and stay with us that night in the RV village. I have looked at all the free parking maps and have some of my own known spots they could park, but wanted to see if anyone else has some good ideas for spots they could park and walk/uber over to the RV village to stay with us?

Thanks in advance!

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I always liked the street parking on Little or Big Bluestem off of Mortenson.

Reactions: Ingynow

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Sounds like you've already looked at the campus map, but that's what I'd recommend.
https://www.parking.iastate.edu/where
There are a few free lots up around the power plant that I'm sure they'd find a spot in if they are getting to Ames early. We parked in lots 57 and 100 a few years ago.
Obviously that's going to be a bit of a walk to the RV village.

I'm not sure about overnight parking though. Based on your post they are staying with you Saturday night.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We dropped a couple people off in the Hobby Lobby lot after the game Saturday. Their vehicles never got towed.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
The mall and CyRide will be the cheapest option. Free parking and $1.00. Red then transfer to Blue or Plum will drop off pretty close to RV village. Cheaper than an uber anyway.

There's closer places to park, but not sure you can count on them being available on game day Saturday.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Park in the Teachers lot (good after 5 pm friday or so) that is just north west of Oak/Elm and SE of Heady/East Hall.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The hot free tailgating spot is the east parking deck, but you have to get there pretty early. Lots by Forker also an easy walk.

Spots up by Lied go fast too.

There is a good tailgating group up by the greenhouses.

Can often find a spot by State Gym/Helser.

The place that is a longer walk but always has open free parking is up by the Biorenewables complex north of Howe.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
If I get them just a $25 parking pass for the grass lots south of the RV village, does anyone know when they would need to move their car out of there?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If I get them just a $25 parking pass for the grass lots south of the RV village, does anyone know when they would need to move their car out of there?

Yes, they don't allow over night parking.

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
Yes, they don't allow over night parking.
I figured, but thought that if they waited until things cleared out, then moved their car Saturday night to a close spot (or maybe we could sneak them into the RV village later that night ) it may be the easiest and closest.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
We dropped a couple people off in the Hobby Lobby lot after the game Saturday. Their vehicles never got towed.

That's where I parked last Saturaday also with no problems. Hobby Lobby roped off a portion of the lot to save it for their customers, but there seems to be a "designated/understood" portion of the Hy-Vee/Hobby Lobby parking lot that is allowed for game parking.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I figured, but thought that if they waited until things cleared out, then moved their car Saturday night to a close spot (or maybe we could sneak them into the RV village later that night ) it may be the easiest and closest.

I think the haunted forest will let you park over night. I would check that out.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So I feel like that's been the "rule" for years, but whenever I'm back for a game I always see a couple lingering vehicles there the next morning. At least after night games. Do they make the occasional exception?
Hmm I though they were pretty firm on that rule.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In the past, when the RV's were in the main lot, I've seen a parade of tow trucks hauling cars away after midnight Friday.