Down goes Freddy

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I thought the covid year was for the 2019-20 season since there wasn't an NCAA tournament.

The NCAA has a helpful (eye-roll) chart - spring 19-20 gets an extra year. Basketball is a winter sport, so 20-21 is the extra year. And, frankly, I’m happy to pretend the 20-21 season never happened, so it works for me.

Reactions: nallen34

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
The NCAA has a helpful (eye-roll) chart - spring 19-20 gets an extra year. Basketball is a winter sport, so 20-21 is the extra year. And, frankly, I’m happy to pretend the 20-21 season never happened, so it works for me.

The NCAA definitely screwed over 19-20 winter athletes by not announcing the extra year waiver right away. I would have been so pissed if I was a basketball player and didn't get a chance to play in the NCAA tournament my senior year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You may not realize it but some big donors are letting the ship sail. They are thinking schools/kids don't need the money and you can always get a good ticket if you want to go.
Since not many on this forum donate, probably not much understanding of that here.
You're correct about coaches salaries. Pushed admission costs to prevent a lot of people from going. Hard to enhance young family fan base when they can't afford it. Have you looked at housing costs lately or fuel. I'm sure most of you want student loan forgiveness as well. It would help those on partially aid.
Yeah, I don't know a ton of people IRL from this forum, but I'm pretty sure every one of the people I do know donate.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
So do they pay taxes
If they receive $600 or more from any entity, the paying entity is required to issue a 1099, and report all 1099's issued to the IRS.

An easy cross-reference for the IRS to implement.

So,.......keep all business with any specific entity under $600, and daddy has a slush fund!!!! Cash all checks and build stacks o' Benjamin's.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The G league doesn’t have NIL per se. There’s no point in it.
He was suggesting that the NBA no longer had a reason to defer to the NCAA's amateurism model and not consider players out of high school given the way that had changed with NIL. But I always felt that this was going to be the ultimate purpose of the G-League, they just needed to get it up and running first.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
With the development of the G-League into a legitimate entity I’m surprised there hasn’t been a push to get the best high school players into a G-League “draft”. The ones not drafted then could go to college and play hoops.

Reactions: Halincandenza

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
With the development of the G-League into a legitimate entity I’m surprised there hasn’t been a push to get the best high school players into a G-League “draft”. The ones not drafted then could go to college and play hoops.
Not sure a player can do that … applying for the draft essentially declares your intent to be a professional. Now if they withdraw prior to the draft ….

Besides some players can make more money playing for Duke under an NIL than playing in the G-League.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure a player can do that … applying for the draft essentially declares your intent to be a professional. Now if they withdraw prior to the draft ….

Besides some players can make more money playing for Duke under an NIL than playing in the G-League.
Not sure if it’s still relevant or not, but it used to be if you didn’t sign with an agent, you could return to college.