Downtown Chicago Apartments?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
For the last two years I've been living in the Chicago suburbs while my wife attends medical school. However for her rotations we need to move downtown to be close to the hospitals (Cook, Sinai, Swedish Covenant, etc). I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of a good apartment around the michigan ave, wacker and north lake shore drive area?

Here are the ones I'm looking at:

Presidential Towers on Madison (already looked at)
1212 S Michigan
North Harbor Tower
Chesnut Tower
Medical District Apts

If anyone knows anything helpful about these apartments or just living in that area I'd appreciate it.

CubsnClones

Dec 18, 2008
West Des Moines
With that kind of zip code in downtown, I'd figure you could afford a good real estate agent....:wink:

Last time I heard my Brother who lives in Barrington (lake county), looked at getting a place in the City so he could stay close to work for the week... A 800sq foot condo in that area was going for 450k or about ten grand a month for a rental property of the same size.

That's about the best I can help you with...I'm not familar with either one of the apartments you mentioned...

For the last two years I've been living in the Chicago suburbs while my wife attends medical school. However for her rotations we need to move downtown to be close to the hospitals (Cook, Sinai, Swedish Covenant, etc). I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of a good apartment around the michigan ave, wacker and north lake shore drive area?

Here are the ones I'm looking at:

Presidential Towers on Madison (already looked at)
1212 S Michigan
North Harbor Tower
Chesnut Tower
Medical District Apts

If anyone knows anything helpful about these apartments or just living in that area I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I remember that MrsPhaedrus and I once idly thought that if we didn't have kids and had the income for it, we thought a downtown Chicago apt. would be kind of a sweet setup.

Good luck on your apt. search.

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
If you have one or more cars you may have some trouble getting parking in all of those places except the Medical Center apartments. Really any place near Michigan ave. will be either with limited parking or a significant charge for a space. My personal opinion is to find a place in the west loop, since that will be cheaper and easier on parking than anything by the lake. It's also going to be very close to Sinai and Cook. I see the appeal though in living close to the lake, you just pay for it.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah we have two cars and parking ramp fees really suck. But I absolutely need my car for work (I travel around the upper midwest and could technically be called to work anywhere between LA and Chicago). The appeal of the high rises near Michigan have great security not so much being right by the lake. We had just kind of resigned ourselves to downtown because of 1) security 2) the cheaper apartments in uptown are run down and I don't want to live in a 100 yr old plus building that has had few if any renovations.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was on the west loop last week. My sister lives in Greektown and there seems to be plenty of available places. A big bonus is whenever I go and visit, it doesn't take forever to try and find a spot. Makes it handy to park there during Cubs games and hop on the Racine el.

My cousin lives in a newer building on Buchanan right by there, great building, good security, a few Bears even live there... Pretty convenient to get on and off the freeway too.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
There are a lot of great places to live other than the North Loop. I live in Lincoln Square. Much preferred to downtown.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Who would pay $120K/year in rent for a 800 sqft condo?

That can't be right, especially considering the condo is only $450k. Maybe if the condo was 4.5 mil...

Just be glad you're looking in Chicago rather than NYC... It's tough to get a good studio apartment (300 sf) in Manhattan or Brooklyn for $450k. I'm doomed to renting for as long as I'm in this city...

movingt

May 12, 2009
Wow. Those hospitals are all really far from each other. I would think you'd want something near the expressway. I would think west loop might work for you. What did you think about presidential towers? From what I remember there's a good amount reserved for low income. I know you're already in the area, but this site might help you: Chicago Real Estate, Houses and Apartments
Good Luck.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
There are a lot of great places to live other than the North Loop. I live in Lincoln Square. Much preferred to downtown.

With the hospitals you list, you may want to find somewhere equidistant from them on the north side. Swedish Covenant is a decent ways from downtown, but closer to Lincoln Square as mentioned.