Dr. Geoffrey to the rescue!

bojicy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2010
Okoboji, IA
Sounds like he was very instrumental in getting the ball rolling and saving this conference. Well done Dr. Geoffroy!!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Re: Dr. Geoffroy to the rescue!

Sounds like he was very instrumental in getting the ball rolling and saving this conference. Well done Dr. Geoffroy!!

Yes. I think he is VERY respected in the conference. That sure doesn't hurt us at all.

Cloned

SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009

I have had dinner with him a couple of times and I always managed to briefly turn the conversation to ISU athletics. I was very impressed with his knowledge and passion. Very good guy to have on our side.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

We needed a President like Dr. Geoffrey instead of Gordon Eaton or Martin Jischke back in the old days.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
No doubt about it, both GG and JP have a pair the size of bowling balls. They were always two steps ahead of Texas as they quietly and cleverly maneuvered the Longhorns back into the Big 12. Those two deserve another big raise, they are both geniuses.

TXClone04

Jun 13, 2010

We needed a President like Dr. Geoffrey instead of Gordon Eaton or Martin Jischke back in the old days.

This is absolutely true. I spent my first year at ISU under Jischke, and just assumed that students were suppose to be at odds with their president. Almost as if it was part of the college culture. However, Geoffrey came along and completely changed that mentality in my opinion.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly

Where's this information coming from? How was Dr. Jeff instrumental. (not being negative, just curious thanks)

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Where's this information coming from? How was Dr. Jeff instrumental. (not being negative, just curious thanks)

The plan to save the conference was vetted with Geoffrey and the K State president before presentation to everyone else.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The plan to save the conference was vetted with Geoffrey and the K State president before presentation to everyone else.

Yeah, except they didn't say much about what this "plan" was, except to let Texas start their own sports/TV network and throw more money at them. Lotsa non-answers though.
More than one source states that the Pac-10 refused to give in to Texas, so they came back to the Big 12 who ultimately did...

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I was waiting for Dr. Geoffrey to look into the camera and state that he was so proud to be the ISU President. :wink:

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, except they didn't say much about what this "plan" was, except to let Texas start their own sports/TV network and throw more money at them. Lotsa non-answers though.
More than one source states that the Pac-10 refused to give in to Texas, so they came back to the Big 12 who ultimately did...

A lot of people can't seem to get the fact that ISU didn't have a whole lot of other options.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
A lot of people can't seem to get the fact that ISU didn't have a whole lot of other options.

No, I get that. I was responding to the concept that there was some ingenious "plan" that Geoffroy had somehow drawn up to convince Texas to stay, (and thereby OU and A&M). It was $$$$, please just say it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No, I get that. I was responding to the concept that there was some ingenious "plan" that Geoffroy had somehow drawn up to convince Texas to stay, (and thereby OU and A&M). It was $$$$, please just say it.

First, no one said Geoffrey made up the plan. Second, no one has denied it was money. Don't be over-dramatic.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

Of course it was money. The thing about Geoffrey was the fact that he does hold quite a bit of sway with other leaders in the conference, and the fact that Beebe came to him and the KSU pres with it shows that he is pretty respected in all of this.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

This is absolutely true. I spent my first year at ISU under Jischke, and just assumed that students were suppose to be at odds with their president. Almost as if it was part of the college culture. However, Geoffrey came along and completely changed that mentality in my opinion.

Same here. It probably didn't help matters that the guy would drive around central campus in his Lexus when it was -20 degrees out waving at students while they were freezing their arses off walking to and from class. While he really couldn't do anything about students freezing their arses off, he could have picked a more appropriate time for his "student relations" stunt.

How the guy got the honors building named after him less than 5 years after he left is beyond me.

TXClone04

Jun 13, 2010

How the guy got the honors building named after him less than 5 years after he left is beyond me.

Jischke was a hell of a fundraiser. However, I think Geoffrey's people skills will payoff more in the long haul.

If Jischke had the honors building named after him for his 9 year tenure, Geoffroy might as well get all of central campus named after him when he steps down (hopefully not for a long time).