Drinking on the job.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Decided to take an entrepreneurship minor my last year in college. I had a professor that I had for 1 class first semester in a 3 hour night class. Second semester I had the same professor for the final class to get the minor.

His biggest thing was networking. Well he was a smoker, so during his 15 minute breaks, I would go out and ******** with him over a cigarette, asking if we were going to get out early etc.

Well that was the only lesson I needed to learn as I was supposed to write a 50 page business(over half your grade) plan in the second semester class. I stopped going to that class after 2 weeks. He must have remembered me and still gave me a D so I got my minor.

Wish I remembered his name, but if you have entrepreneurship, remember networking.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
One time, my buddy on the Drunk bus told another friend that he was going to "Jon Laucena his ass." Cute girl said to him, "Not cool man." I can verify, it was not cool, man.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I apologize if my comment seemed offensive. I definitely wasn't meaning to reference that incident. As Cowgirl said, I went to school before that accident and it was common to reference your roommate dying or getting hit by CyRide as reasons to get all A's or free tuition.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I used to have to go get a philosophy prof out of a bar. He refused to wear a watch and he would be drinking with a foreign language prof at lunch/mid afternoon. Perfectly acceptable to have a pint or two outside of "Merica" but he was never legless or slurring.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I'm pretty sure Sarah didn't mean anything about that accident. It was a common rumor when I was on campus that if you were hit by CyRide, your tuition was free.

You have got to be kidding me. I was hit by a CyRide turning left onto Lincoln Way as I crossed the street heading south on Welsh. It was below zero, and I was looking straight ahead with tunnel vision through my parka hood. Next thing I knew, boom, and I am looking straight into the eyes of a CyRide driver who looked like he was going to crap his pants.

I wasn't hurt, just embarrassed, and kept walking and hoping no one saw what happened. Had I known I could get free tuition, I could have done a flop like no one has ever seen before.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Technically, you are required to have some sort of class meeting for that final exam period.
I'd like some confirmation on that A thing, because I don't buy it. I can see the department assigning someone to assign the grades on a scale that eliminates the final, but I'm not seeing the automatic A.

As it is, it sounds like someone trying to create an urban legend or new drinking story.

Isn't there also a rule where you aren't supposed to have any test or projects on dead week? I know for a fact, that that rule isn't followed.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Thanks to this thread bump, I had that damn dream where I have to take a final for a class I forgot I had the whole semester. I hate that damn dream

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
In Wisconsin (back to OP) it was not uncommon to have a bottle on hand at paper mill jobs. Retirees remember fondly how the days went by under the influence and getting paid for it. Changed just before the millennium. Thereafter you were an "alcoholic" doing such and got treatment. Well yeah.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Thanks to this thread bump, I had that damn dream where I have to take a final for a class I forgot I had the whole semester. I hate that damn dream

I'm to there the point where I have that dream, but for work. I feel like I'm forgetting something I was supposed to do and it's the end of the quarter. Those suck too

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Isn't there also a rule where you aren't supposed to have any test or projects on dead week? I know for a fact, that that rule isn't followed.

This happened in my day:
- 5 of us sat in the back of class and loosly paid attention the entire semester.
- The Proffessor does course review the week before dead week, because he said he'd covered all the material. We thought it was weird, but assumed he was going to do more review durning dead week.
- We walk into class dead week and he's handing out the Final.
- All 5 of us say, WTF is this?
- Proffessor says he announced the final would be dead week at the start of prior class. He literally spent 10 seconds during the chaos of class starting and people still talking. No reminder at the end of class or syllabus info. Then all of us somehow go through an entire week oblivous to our class mates apparently.
- 5 of us say, we didn't hear him and again WTF?
- Proffessor had to allow us to take exam during finals. I think he pulled some BS where he took 5 or 10% off our test score, but there was zero chance I was going to take that test dead week because I hadn't looked even considered starting to study for it yet. I think it dropped me from a B to a B- or whatever, so wasn't worth figting at the time. Just always thought it was a bush league move on his part.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011