Drywall Recommendations

Deere2004

Nov 2, 2010
Ankeny
I'm currently working on my basement, and I'm ready to get some quotes for drywall. Does anybody have any recommendations for contractors in the Ankeny area? Any help is appreciated.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Hang it yourself, and then have someone come mud and tape it.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Or mud and tape it yourself too. It's only your basement. Unless you're in a huge time crunch, I'd say take a shot at it.
This may not be a real good idea. Unless you are really on a tight budget, I wouldn't recommend trying. Tape and mudding takes a lot of practice to make it look good and presentable. Its one of those things that when you aren't happy after your done, your pretty well screwed. Then you are going to be upset you didn't hire it done.

Deere2004

Nov 2, 2010
Ankeny
I was thinking about hanging it myself, but I'd like to at least get quotes on the mudding and taping or even the whole project. Any recommendations on contractors?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If you're thinking about mudding, etc., yourself, do the following test- drop pudding onto your head and eyes randomly. Then gather up large piles of fine dust, and allow that to sprinkle on your head and eyes for a few hours at a time. If you enjoy that process, have at it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I'm doing the same thing to my basement, I should have a quote from my guy monday morning, ill try to let you know. He did my neighbors, looks great. PM me if I don't remember to get back to you monday night.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
This guy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpbSJ308Mc]Drywall at the new mcdonalds - YouTube[/ame]

But seriously, drywall is easy. Yes, it's a very tedious job, but you'll save a lot of cash just doing it yourself.

07Clone

Aug 29, 2011
Johnston
My only recommendation is to NOT use **** Gallaway out of Des moines. I think his company name is ideas unlimited. That's who I used and had a terrible experience. Wasn't even the lowest quote.

tccoach

Apr 22, 2006
Iowa
If your basement walls are framed...and as said if you have the time, it is a good project to do yourself, but you also have to consider the electrical, some don't like dealing with running electrical for outlets...

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Hanging drywall CORRECTLY isnt something you just do. I did a couple drywall jobs myself with very good results after MUCH work. However, watching the 35+ yr pro do our current basement I learned a ton about hanging drywall as well. It makes tape and mud MUCH easier.

Most good drywall guys will charge just as much to mud only as they do to mud and tape.

JT88

Oct 7, 2009
Mullenbach out of Gilbert does great work at a reasonable rate. They did my basement when I finished it. Brought in the rock, hung it. taped, mudded and textured and cleaned up to the point I barely knew they were there. Saved me a bunch of headaches and more importantly time. I'm a pretty handy guy but if you can afford to do it have it professionally done.

Deere2004

Nov 2, 2010
Ankeny
I'm doing the same thing to my basement, I should have a quote from my guy monday morning, ill try to let you know. He did my neighbors, looks great. PM me if I don't remember to get back to you monday night.

Thanks for the help to ripvdub and everybody else.

My thing with the drywall is that I've heard from several people that if you get a good contractor, mudding and taping is hardly worth doing yourself because they are so good at what they do. I'll just have to see what the quotes look like though.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Hanging drywall CORRECTLY isnt something you just do. I did a couple drywall jobs myself with very good results after MUCH work. However, watching the 35 yr pro do our current basement I learned a ton about hanging drywall as well. It makes tape and mud MUCH easier. Most good drywall guys will charge just as much to mud only as they do to mud and tape.
Thats because when a homeowner does it, they usually have more work in mudding than what they do when they do it themselves.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Be carefull. There are prob as any if not more bad drywall guys as good ones. If you want to try it yourself buy a book and practice on a small part of your basement. If you dont like the way it turns out then call the pros. A few tips: buy good drywall knives, keep your mud bucket and pan clean, and you can alwasy add more mud but when you put too much on it is a ***** to sand.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Be carefull. There are prob as any if not more bad drywall guys as good ones. If you want to try it yourself buy a book and practice on a small part of your basement. If you dont like the way it turns out then call the pros. A few tips: buy good drywall knives, keep your mud bucket and pan clean, and you can alwasy add more mud but when you put too much on it is a ***** to sand.

Electric sander, just sayin'.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Electric sander, just sayin'.
Cant really use one. If you do, you run the risk of sanding to much and making it noticeable. This will cause you to fill that spot againYou have to use a sanding pole to make sure you sand perfectly flat to the drywall.

killtrapper

Dec 18, 2011
This may not be a real good idea. Unless you are really on a tight budget, I wouldn't recommend trying. Tape and mudding takes a lot of practice to make it look good and presentable. Its one of those things that when you aren't happy after your done, your pretty well screwed. Then you are going to be upset you didn't hire it done.

I did this for the first time recently on roughly half a midsized bedroom. I'm happy with the end result (flat paint with a decent rolled on paint texture), but it took about 8 mud/sand iterations and was messy and frustrating (and this was after watching a bunch of youtube videos detailing technique). I think the OP would be better off hiring a pro and spending his time on other things.