DSM area art classes

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
My nephew is 9 years old and is really interested in drawing. He's drawn up comic books for us in the past. My wife and I take care of alot of his needs because his parents can't or don't know how. We're looking for something to get him involved in. He's a good kid, but I think he just lacks some confidence. I've looked on the Art Center's website. They offer a drawing/comic book class. I'll look into it again this summer. I have no background in this area so I'm not sure where to look. Are there other places that offer classes? Art stores? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
My nephew is 9 years old and is really interested in drawing. He's drawn up comic books for us in the past. My wife and I take care of alot of his needs because his parents can't or don't know how. We're looking for something to get him involved in. He's a good kid, but I think he just lacks some confidence. I've looked on the Art Center's website. They offer a drawing/comic book class. I'll look into it again this summer. I have no background in this area so I'm not sure where to look. Are there other places that offer classes? Art stores? Any help would be appreciated.

I believe that the Des Moines Art Center offers a number of classes for kids. I would start there to see what they have or, if they do not offer what you want, they would be a great resource for getting names of other people who teach.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Check out the Des Moines Public Schools Community Education programs:

www.dmced.org

There is an amazing variety of activities available. Here is one that I'm cutting and pasting from the "Arts and Crafts" section:

Right Brain Drawing, Introduction

Tell a Friend about this Course
This is a great way to learn basic drawing. Learn to draw people and landscapes easily with Betty Edward’s Right Brain drawing method. Great for people who can only draw “stick figures." Bring an 11x14 sketchbook and a pencil to the first class. Material list will be available at the first class.
Code:A175201VDates:February 7-28, 2011 Check for other dates Meets:Monday: 7:00 PM-9:00 PM, 4 Sess Location:Hoover High 104 Instructor:Barb Vaske Fee:$58.00