Dubuque photo with Chicago and Orion's Belt in the background [edited, not Des Moines]

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
The obvious answer is to find a poster on here who is a pilot so they can go out and try to recreate this shot for comparison.

We have staked out the Ames airport for coaching searches, and had posters head several interesting places to verify things in the urban exploring thread. The obvious next step is that CF takes to the sky.
I like it. Anyone got a drone that can go to 33K feet?

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Someone should fire up the new Microsoft Flight Simulator to solve this.
I've got that, but my flight controller is a flight stick from the 1980's! Looking at getting a new one but haven't decided on one yet.

Reactions: huntt26

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is anyone flying from DM, CR, WLOO to Chicago soon? This might help get more information.

Reactions: aauummm

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
That seems to be the right size to me.
After looking at it again, it sure fits the photo better than Des Moines. What's bothersome is that Dubuque's downtown is north-south along the river and not spread out to the west. There's only residential area west of downtown until you get a couple of miles west on highway 20. But everything else really lines up nicely.

Reactions: Clone83

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
View attachment 91973
If it’s Dubuque, then the orange line would be highway 20, red circle is Clinton, and blue circle is QC.
But yeah it would be weird if this professional pilot is this far off
I don't think it's Dubuque because you'd see the Mighty Mississippi carving throughout. Those two circled wouldn't be in Iowa, they'd be on the Illinois side.

If this is Des Mones, I think Hwy 5 is behind the photo meaning the airport is directly below. I think the blur from the lights is giving a false sense of perspective. From this angle, the blue could be Altoona, red Bondurant...The issue is, 80 doesn't run that direction if we're looking east. As someone who lives near the airport and tries to find their house every single time...I'm really confused by this picture and I'm confused that an airplane which certainly has an accurate GPS, would be able to mess this up.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
1636999352124.jpeg

Okay here is my latest:

i think the image is almost folding up in to itself on the left side, it’s making the DSM river appear as if it’s running East/West. The blue lines represent where I think the DSM and Raccoon Rivers are in the pic.

green is where I think 235 is but it’s the worst part of the pic (maybe due to airspeed?)

Orange is Fleur drive (approximately). Yellow is Carlisle.

My final verdict for now is that the image is highly distorted around the lower edges in an upward arc from where the western edge of downtown starts.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I just showed this to a coworker that also deals with maps and aerials all day. We've come to the consensus that it's Dubuque. The blue is the river, the lights on the right are Clinton in the distance. Not familiar enough with Dubuque to really do a street layout. However, this matches well with the idea that the distant glow is Chicago and the street grid meets the proper layout. See the google earth shot.

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just showed this to a coworker that also deals with maps and aerials all day. We've come to the consensus that it's Dubuque. The blue is the river, the lights on the right are Clinton in the distance. Not familiar enough with Dubuque to really do a street layout. However, this matches well with the idea that the distant glow is Chicago and the street grid meets the proper layout. See the google earth shot.

View attachment 91982

View attachment 91983

Makes sense. I think you’ve nailed it. For someone not from Iowa Des Moines/Dubuque is all the same.

CYaeger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 23, 2019

View attachment 91982

View attachment 91983
This is the winner. I am now convinced this is 100% Dubuque. Everything matches up.