Dubuque photo with Chicago and Orion's Belt in the background [edited, not Des Moines]

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
For pilots, planes done always take the exact direct path do they? Don’t they pass near a few airports in case of emergency or incase gps has issues. Was thinking that was the case

Yes but not really at play for a flight over land in the US. The most direct path will still keep the plane within minimums to an alternate; there are plenty of airports. That’s more for over-water routes.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
For pilots, planes done always take the exact direct path do they? Don’t they pass near a few airports in case of emergency or incase gps has issues. Was thinking that was the case

It depends. Weather and winds is the biggest factor. Continental flights do not take enroute airports into account but always have alternates if the destination is not accessible for whatever reason.

Not sure. There are lots of flights over the arctic and a plane can glide around 80-100 miles from 36000 ft. Been done before.

ETOPS (Extended Twin Operations) or (Engines Turn or People Swim) is a certification that rates twin engine aircraft on their ability to operate on one engine en-route given in minutes it can fly away from a suitable airfield. For instance the A350XWB has an ETOPS 370 certification meaning it can fly roughly six hours from a suitable airfield making nearly any route possible on earth.

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
There are ETOPS rules that apply to both the airline and the individual airplane as well in order to fly those overwater routes away from alternates. For example, the same mechanic can't do the same maintenance on both engines. Since the entire concept is predicated on the fact that a dual engine failure is so remote, they have to eliminate possibilities of the same failure affecting both engines. The airline then has to prove that actual engine reliability in service is maintaining a certain threshold (99.99+%...I don't remember the actual number).
It depends. Weather and winds is the biggest factor. Continental flights do not take enroute airports into account but always have alternates if the destination is not accessible for whatever reason.

ETOPS (Extended Twin Operations) or (Engines Turn or People Swim) is a certification that rates twin engine aircraft on their ability to operate on one engine en-route given in minutes it can fly away from a suitable airfield. For instance the A350XWB has an ETOPS 370 certification meaning it can fly roughly six hours from a suitable airfield making nearly any route possible on earth.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1 and aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
There are ETOPS rules that apply to both the airline and the individual airplane as well in order to fly those overwater routes away from alternates. For example, the same mechanic can't do the same maintenance on both engines. Since the entire concept is predicated on the fact that a dual engine failure is so remote, they have to eliminate possibilities of the same failure affecting both engines. The airline then has to prove that actual engine reliability in service is maintaining a certain threshold (99.99+%...I don't remember the actual number).

I believe this was the issue that Southwest got into a couple of years ago when they "accidentally" flew a non ETOPS 737 to Hawaii.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
It’s terrible that the media will write/report stories without having at least two sources verify the information. I guess that’s par for the course these days…

Reactions: khardbored

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If you're a pilot and don't know you're over Dubuque vs. Des Moines, that seems a bit concerning.
It's all ok as long as she doesn't land her big-arse cargo plane at an airport with a runway that doesn't meet spec for the plane...

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's all ok as long as she doesn't land her big-arse cargo plane at an airport with a runway that doesn't meet spec for the plane...

I still lived down there then. That was quite the day, took a different route to work just to see it.