Dyersville Field Of Dreams Visit

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
A visitor from New York State is coming for a week in August and has requested to see the Field of Dreams. Other than driving past Dyersville a few times, seeing the movie, and parts of the recent MLB games, I really don't know what there is to see there.

Thus, I'm calling on CFer's ever reliable bottomless font of information for some idea of what there is there to see/experience.

Thinking of making a day of it. Maybe up to Pikes Peak, and lunch or at least a piece of pie at Breitbachs. Website indicates it's only open Thurs-Sunday???

Anything else worth adding to the jaunt?

(One of the party is awaiting hip surgery so not extremely mobile, so nothing involving walking any distance is going to work.)

TIA

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
A visitor from New York State is coming for a week in August and has requested to see the Field of Dreams. Other than driving past Dyersville a few times, seeing the movie, and parts of the recent MLB games, I really don't know what there is to see there.

Thus, I'm calling on CFer's ever reliable bottomless font of information for some idea of what there is there to see/experience.

Thinking of making a day of it. Maybe up to Pikes Peak, and lunch or at least a piece of pie at Breitbachs. Website indicates it's only open Thurs-Sunday???

(One of the party is awaiting hip surgery so not extremely mobile, so nothing involving walking any distance is going to work.)

TIA
Take your gloves and have a catch. They offer tours through the house but we didn’t do that when we went.

Side note, thought breitbachs burned down…. Twice. Did they rebuild it, twice?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd guess it's missing some of the 'mystique' with the new stadium built there but last I knew it's free to drive up and see it.

• Agree
Reactions: agentbear

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

TIA

I am from Dyersville area originally and to answer your question…not much else to see in Dyersville. Well, if you want to see pretty churches go to Dyersville’s Basilica. New Vienna has a pretty church, but Petersburg’s church, my home church, is breathtaking. Unbelievable such a building is out in the middle of nowhere, and beats Dyersville hands down.

Textile brewery is a good brewery.

Dubuque has a lot of natural beauty - Eagle Point Park, FenLon elevator.

Take your gloves and have a catch. They offer tours through the house but we didn’t do that when we went.

Side note, thought breitbachs burned down…. Twice. Did they rebuild it, twice?
Yes, it was rebuilt after the second fire.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I am from Dyersville area originally and to answer your question…not much else to see in Dyersville. Well, if you want to see pretty churches go to Dyersville’s Basilica. New Vienna has a pretty church, but Petersburg’s church, my home church, is breathtaking. Unbelievable such a building is out in the middle of nowhere, and beats Dyersville hands down.

Textile brewery is a good brewery.

Dubuque has a lot of natural beauty - Eagle Point Park, FenLon elevator.

Yes, it was rebuilt after the second fire.
I agree with you that Dubuque would be the better place to go. Good news on breitbachs. When I was younger we spent a lot of time in that area as a good portion of my family was from the epworth/Farley area

Reactions: DBQR4CY and BigTurk

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm not even sure what's accessible since I think they're building the new big complex out there, which is why they're not doing the MLB game this year.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

TIA
Pikes Peak is my favorite state park. If your group is not wanting/able to hike you can drive to the top and see the best views just steps from the parking lot.
Textile Brewing in Dyersville has good beer and a small food menu.
In Dubuque, there’s a good Italian restaurant, Vinny’s Little Italy down near the river district. The original Vinny’s is in Galena but I’ve not been there yet.

Reactions: wxman1 and BigTurk

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Two other nice local restaurants include Pepper Sprout and L’May’s, both downtown.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How far to Mississippi River Distilling? Try some of their experimental products, such as bourbon finished in various beer and wine barrels. Or just introduce your friend to the new Amaretto flavored Iowish Cream.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Isn't there a diecast toy museum in Dyersville?

Reactions: bstegs

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
Textile Brewing in Dyersville is pretty good and has good pretzels and flatbreads if you need a food option.

Depending on how much of scenic day of driving you are looking for, here are some additional options.

There are a handful of wineries in the area, specifically Park Farm near Bankston and PromiseLand near Guttenberg.

Guttenberg also has some nice scenic overlooks of the Mississippi.

There is an Amish Bakery east of Edgewood with a great pie selection.

In addition to Pike's Peak, there is also Effigy Mounds nearby for even more hiking.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Also being from the area (I remember when they filmed the movie!), I agree with BigTurk and would also recommend Dubuque for a full day trip - it really is a nice downtown now. Bit of a drive from Dyersville (30 mins?) to get to the actual downtown. Lots of touristy stuff there, shops, restaurants, breweries, etc.

I would recommend Shot Tower Inn much more than Breitbachs personally. It's nothing special really, but has been there since forever, and its kind of a trip thru the way-back machine if you like that.

Eagle Point Park is a great place to look out over the river, the lock & dam, etc. Beautiful, peaceful. My grandpa helped build it, part of the WPA during the depression. You can usually park fairly close to the look outs so not much walking.

Bluff Lake is a long way to drive and wait to eat greasy mediocre catfish - have been there several times. Catfish Charlies is closer, nicer, better food and service.

Reactions: NWICY and Cy4Lifer

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s cool for about 5 minutes. Definitely bring a your gloves and a ball to play catch but other than that, it’s like going to a local little league after about 5 minutes

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron