EA Sports NCAA Football game

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Between the full release video not showing actual gameplay, player movements having that same "clunky" look that Madden just can't figure out, and the different editions being so focused on ultimate team type stuff I'm somehow becoming even more pessimistic.
I'll wait and see, but I definitely value games that have tight controls, innovative ideas and fun gameplay over ones where the selling point is mostly great graphics.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Between the full release video not showing actual gameplay, player movements having that same "clunky" look that Madden just can't figure out, and the different editions being so focused on ultimate team type stuff I'm somehow becoming even more pessimistic.
I'm someone who is probably going to play for Dynasty mode only, maybe some Online Dynasty, so I don't really care about the microtransactions part of this. NCAA14 had microtransactions too when it was still supported. You could buy additional uniform packages, coaching, and recruiting boosts. 14 also doesn't have the smoothest movements. For me, it's always been the speed of the game, the ease and ability to throw and move the ball downfield, and above all else recruiting.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wish they'd show some actual gameplay, rather than all close-in/highlight type replays. That's where the game needs to look (and play) good.
It's not exactly atypical for an announcement trailer to not show a lot of gameplay. RDR2 comes to mind, among others. I'm sure there will be a specific gameplay trailer down the line. That's how they used to do it with previous versions anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's not exactly atypical for an announcement trailer to not show a lot of gameplay. RDR2 comes to mind, among others. I'm sure there will be a specific gameplay trailer down the line. That's how they used to do it with previous versions anyway.
Yeah, no doubt. I'm just not really into cut scenes and stuff like that (I mostly skip them), but don't blame them for releasing this kind of video now, because I'm sure a lot of people are.

Reactions: CycloneErik

cloneclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2018
This guy lays out some of the features and release schedule that EA tends to follow. Is it going to be an overhaul to Madden on field gameplay, probably not, but looks like there might be some tweaks to give it more of a college feel.

Reactions: Saul_T

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Typical EA Sports. They are the best marketers in any business. What little you could gather gameplay wise out of that trailer appears to be a Madden reskin. All sizzle, no steak. The game is going to be a huge success financially for them, but will be a huge disappointment to those that buy this and fall for the EA Sports marketing.

Think you're overestimating how many people will be disappointed in this. There will be plenty who hate it/complain, sure, but many more who will enjoy the hell out of it.

I could see a lot of people just stick with this one and not buy every year if it's just a reskin, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Agclone91

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I thought looked great - At the end of the day it's a video game.

There's some folks in here that I'm pretty sure wont be satisfied regardless of what EA does with the game. I'm just pumped to have the series back.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I thought looked great - At the end of the day it's a video game.

There's some folks in here that I'm pretty sure wont be satisfied regardless of what EA does with the game. I'm just pumped to have the series back.
There's an entire cottage industry devoted to hating on Madden every year. EA definitely doesn't have the best track record, especially with yearly sports releases, so you can't blame anyone for being skeptical, but Madden remains very playable, if a bit uninspired. The micro transaction angle is unforgivable for some, regardless of how they might be implemented.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
There's an entire cottage industry devoted to hating on Madden every year. EA definitely doesn't have the best track record, especially with yearly sports releases, so you can't blame anyone for being skeptical, but Madden remains very playable, if a bit uninspired. The micro transaction angle is unforgivable for some, regardless of how they might be implemented.
I think a lot of people are forgetting how cut and paste a lot of the NCAA years were. The biggest tweaks they usually made were to recruiting, adding game modes, maybe some new tackle graphics. The gameplay was, for the most part, the same from year to year.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I definitely get the micro transaction hate, but that is mostly limited to one specific game mode and cosmetics. I don't like them either so I avoid those modes.

Micro transactions have started extending into every day life in a lot of different ways and will only get worse.

• Agree

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
They've got a month, they'll get at least a couple more trailers out before it hits. And EA will probably get it in the hands of some youtube/twitch folks in a couple weeks. Which you should take with a grain of salt but you'll get your gameplay video.

Looking at the feature list it looks like they're hitting all the tentpoles, personally a lot of my enjoyment comes from the recruiting system, so I want to see some detail about what that'll look like.

I remember in the old games in my first year at ISU I'd make sure to take some guys from Missouri so it'd be a pipeline state. Missouri always sucked so I'd have a good shot at landing the top handful of their recruits the next year.

Reactions: CloneIce

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I remember in the old games in my first year at ISU I'd make sure to take some guys from Missouri so it'd be a pipeline state. Missouri always sucked so I'd have a good shot at landing the top handful of their recruits the next year.
Rookie mistake Bigman. Begin your coaching journey some play like California, Texas, or Florida, then move to ISU. That way you keep your pipeline states as long as you keep plugging them. I really liked how 14 improved recruiting and streamlined it. I used to take hours recruiting and determining how their visit should go, it was nice to just focus on getting the guys you wanted/needed.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Don't care. My penis may or may not be erect and I am glad I am working from home.
Yeah I wasn't sure how excited I was or wasn't for this. Then I watched this video and there was some evident swelling going on below the belt.

Reason I may not be excited is just because it's been so long. The last time one of these games came out was probably the last time I binge-wasted hours every day playing a video game. My life has changed a lot in 10 years and even when I think I want to pick up a video game, life usually gets in the way. So in essence, I am not sure how I am going to make time for this when it comes out, but I know I want to try.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Rookie mistake Bigman. Begin your coaching journey some play like California, Texas, or Florida, then move to ISU. That way you keep your pipeline states as long as you keep plugging them. I really liked how 14 improved recruiting and streamlined it. I used to take hours recruiting and determining how their visit should go, it was nice to just focus on getting the guys you wanted/needed.

Agreed. I also liked the offseason skills development where you could run drills to improve your players’ ratings.

• Agree

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Agreed. I also liked the offseason skills development where you could run drills to improve your players’ ratings.
I was meh on that and liked it better in the Madden setting. I preferred my guys to improve throughout the year or game to game. I would almost like them to slow down the progression this year as it was almost too easy to get your star players to 99 no matter where you were playing/coaching.

All this NCAA chatter is going to force @ChrisMWilliams to reopen the gaming forum and I'm here for it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Who’s setting up the CF online dynasty? Either having everyone in two 16 team conferences or 8 in four different conferences would be so much fun. I’d volunteer but have a wacky work schedule at times to run it well

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Who’s setting up the CF online dynasty? Either having everyone in two 16 team conferences or 8 in four different conferences would be so much fun. I’d volunteer but have a wacky work schedule at times to run it well
The last time (2013 I think) it didn’t last that long because people didn’t play their game because they were busy. So everyone got stuck. Hopefully there would be guidelines and ability on when the commissioner could just sim their games

• Agree