Earl Campell, Texas Legend.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
In the Austin American-Statesman, Brad Buchholz catches up with a legend. But sadly, this isn’t a feel-good story.

“This is Earl Campbell, University of Texas icon,†“Winner of the 1977 Heisman Trophy. The soul of the ‘Love Ya Blue’ Houston Oilers. The Tyler Rose. The most elegant power runner to play the game. And this is Earl Campbell, a man who has yet to see his son Tyler play a college football game at San Diego State because it’s too difficult for him to negotiate the stairs at stadiums.â€

Mr. Campbell is just 52, but he hasn’t slept in a bed for nearly seven years and must use a walker when he isn’t in a wheelchair.

“He relies on a driver — his longtime friend James ‘Sugar Bear’ Yates — to take him to work, or to fetch a can of Sprite at the 7-Eleven, or run him up to visit his brothers and sisters in Tyler,†Mr. Buchholz writes. “The most indomitable running back in the history of Texas football — as a collegian and a professional — has come to know what it is to be vulnerable.â€

And if you really feel like being depressed read the rest of the article....

Link:
Earl Campbell, an old, hurting man at 52, remember his runs

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
That is sad... you'd think they could find him a place to watch the game though. Sideline or something? I mean, he IS Earl Campbell.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
One of my absolute favorite RB's of all time. Man he would just punish people when he ran. I consider Earl along with Barry Sanders the two best RB's I have ever seen. Completely different styles...both awesome to behold.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There was a "Real Sports with Bryant Gumble" piece on him a few months back

When you see video of him now - it just compounds the sadness.

There was also a fairly famous shot of him with the other Heisman winners, from just recently. They all were standing in a line, doing a Heisman pose I believe. Except for Earl who sitting. He couldn't even do that for a picture.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I saw the "Real Sports" piece on him as well. His story is a sad one, but luckily he has some resources to be able to cope with his situation.

How many other NFL alumni are already gone or in worse shape today? The NFL needs to step up and take care of these guys. There is plenty of money in the owners pockets to help with this cause.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron