Eastern Iowa Beer Tiers

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Toppling Goliath starting distributing in Texas a couple months back. Have seen Pseudo Sue, King Sue, and Pompeii at my neighborhood HEB and Trader Joe's. So dang good.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I live in Dubuque and was really happy when Dimensional opened. I used to frequent 7 Hills a lot, and while their beers never really blew me away, they were decent enough and as several people have already mentioned, do food really really well. I really like 7 Hills Red Ale, their west coast style IPA and their Brown Ale. Aside from their basics though, I really don't enjoy most of their seasonal/experimental stuff. Dimensional does that stuff way better and have a better variety of beers overall. Lived here for 4 years and still haven't tried Jubeck.

Other Eastern Iowa breweries I've stopped at that I haven't seen mentioned so far would be Tellurian in Charles City, Lime Stone in Osage, and Lake Time in Clear Lake. I especially enjoyed Lake Time Brewery in Clear Lake. I don't know what tier any of them would be on, but if I had to put them in order for myself personally, I'd say

1. Lake Time
2. Tellurian
3. Lime Stone
Like others have said, "Not really Eastern Iowa Breweries."

So in my opinion, West of a North/South line drawn through Waterloo/Cedar Falls and east of a N/S line drawn through Fort Dodge.. this is Central Iowa, North, Central, and South. You get extra points though for choosing breweries along the Cedar River (again, my opinion).

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Starting a thread for the microbreweries on the east side of the state, similar to the DSM tiers. Since we’re more spread-out, will have some TBDs in this:

Tier A
Big Grove (Solon/IC)
Toppling Goliath (Decorah)
Lion Bridge (CR)
Dimensional (Dubuque)

Tier B
Iowa Brewing Co (CR)
Third Base (CR)
Single Speed (Waterloo)
7 Hills (Dubuque)
ReUnion (Coralville)

Tier C
Quarter Barrel (CR)
Clock House (CR)
Backpocket (Coralville)
Kalona (Kalona)

Tier D
Granite City (CR)
Millstream (Amana)

Tier F
Thew Brewing (CR)

TBD (for me):
Franklin Street (Manchester)
Front Street (Davenport)
House Divided (Ely)
Jubeck (Dubuque)
Pulpit Rock (Decorah)
My Take on this. With some additions and commentary (note that this is only my preference, your tastes and preferences may vary.) :
Tier A
Big Grove (Solon/IC) - Solon.. worthy. Haven’t been to IC
Clock House (CR) – Always true to style.
PIVO Brewery (Cascade) – OMG!

Tier B
Iowa Brewing Co (CR) – Has fallen on my list, but still good.
Millstream (Amana) – Has risen in potential with new owners and canned beer. Always a good visit. Iowa’s oldest active brewery. DON’T DRINK THEIR BOTTLED BEER!

Tier C
Lion Bridge (CR) – Yeah, not normally my kind of beer available.
Third Base (CR) – Mostly a restaurant, But they do brew onsite and almost always have their Oatmeal Stout on tap.
House Divided (Ely) – Perhaps Tier C because they like Cyclones and have a very good porter.
Pulpit Rock (Decorah) - Yeah, it was cold and smelled like disinfectant when I visited. Some good beers, but somewhat spotty in my opinion.

Tier D
Kalona (Kalona) – I used to like many of their beers. But the batches vary quite a lot.
Toppling Goliath (Decorah) – Never liked their beer.
Thew Brewing (CR) – See Toppling Goliath and add “Thewdo Thew”
Backpocket (Coralville) – Impressive brewery. Terrible beers.
Allerton Brewing Company (Independence) – Interesting building, limited interest in their beers.

Tier F
Quarter Barrel (CR) – Video games, kids, terrible and terribly expensive food, and beer.. some they actually brew themselves. (Hint: If you like old video games, GO. If not, then why spend the time).
Granite City (CR) – Where do they actually brew beer? And NO, It isn’t any good.

TBD (for me):
Franklin Street (Manchester)
Front Street (Davenport)
Single Speed (Waterloo)
7 Hills (Dubuque)
ReUnion (Coralville)
Jubeck (Dubuque)
Dimensional (Dubuque)

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I'm about to try some Pulpit Rock and am looping forward to that.
Also, keep a look out for Pivo Brewery. They're from Calmar just SW of Decorah. I don't know if they have any cans our bottles distributed, but everything I've tried from them has been good to great.
Pivo is excellent. The beers arent as good as toppling, but the variety is massive. When we were there they had something like 30 plus beers on tap. We went back a 2nd time to try more.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Depends on the time of year. During lions bridge's barrel aged January, i would say they might be the best brewery in the state. Outside of that month they are much further down

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Pivo is excellent. The beers arent as good as toppling, but the variety is massive. When we were there they had something like 30 plus beers on tap. We went back a 2nd time to try more.
Pivo. In my opinion, BY FAR the best and most well monied brewer in the state. A large number of beer varieties, all of them brewed at a high level of competency. An incredibly sound brewery with respect to others in Iowa

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
And the beers better than Toppling Goliath?;. YES! IMHO ALWAYS better than Toppling Goliath inclusive of THEW brewing. PIVO IMO is by FAR the BEST brewery in Iowa, Barr none!!!!