EH doing her best Schaben

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Tough matches for ISU this weekend. Got smoked by PSU and lose in 5 to LSU. Hopefully the two 5-set losses to LSU and UCF don't come back to haunt ISU's NCAA at large chances if they are on the bubble again. And the ease with which PSU won is another indication of the large gap that now exists between ISU and the sport's top programs.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
3 straight service errors by Holthaus, Schuler, and Mauck were the difference in set 5. This has been an ongoing problem for this team. We really need to be doing better than this.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Tough matches for ISU this weekend. Got smoked by PSU and lose in 5 to LSU. Hopefully the two 5-set losses to LSU and UCF don't come back to haunt ISU's NCAA at large chances if they are on the bubble again. And the ease with which PSU won is another indication of the large gap that now exists between ISU and the sport's top programs.
We have fallen very far behind in facilities. I don't think we have any chance of catching up until these problems are addressed.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Even though we lost to PSU, the team looked pretty good, and somewhat clean.

Today, what a mess on hitting and serving errors and mental mistakes. However, LSUs strategy of hitting to Piper all the time took our setter out of setting, and wore her out. Also, our serve receive was not great, team looked caught off guard a lot today.

Also, LSU looked way more fit and athletic than ISU.

Team is young and has a lot of talent. Hopefully they come together more as the season goes.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We have fallen very far behind in facilities. I don't think we have any chance of catching up until these problems are addressed.
The top programs in the Upper Midwest all play in smaller intimate venues and I think that now hinders ISU VB recruiting to some extent. It may take a partnership with the City to build a competition venue for VB and Wrestling similar to what TOE has done for VB.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Even though we lost to PSU, the team looked pretty good, and somewhat clean.

Today, what a mess on hitting and serving errors and mental mistakes. However, LSUs strategy of hitting to Piper all the time took our setter out of setting, and wore her out. Also, our serve receive was not great, team looked caught off guard a lot today.

Also, LSU looked way more fit and athletic than ISU.

Team is young and has a lot of talent. Hopefully they come together more as the season goes.
LSU had a server who went on 6-0 runs in the 1st and deciding 5th set. Those runs were arguably the difference in the match.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Most volleyball teams play in front of a small crowd if any crowd at all. If ISU had a vb specific venue that would certainly help with the atmosphere. In 2017 we averaged 2,500 UNI 2,400 Iowa 1,800- Stanford is around 2,300 Creighton 1,800 and they are good every year. It would certainly help to not be in the cavern of Hilton but we are not way behind either.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Most volleyball teams play in front of a small crowd if any crowd at all. If ISU had a vb specific venue that would certainly help with the atmosphere. In 2017 we averaged 2,500 UNI 2,400 Iowa 1,800- Stanford is around 2,300 Creighton 1,800 and they are good every year. It would certainly help to not be in the cavern of Hilton but we are not way behind either.
Even if ISU can't afford to do this, hanging curtains to drape off the balcony could do a lot to make Hilton more intimate. If they hang truss relatively permanently they could have curtain that drops and pulls up relatively easily and economically.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Get a facility the size of the lower concourse of Hilton and you would have a nice olympic venue.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
There is more to facilities than just the competition venue. There is the weight room, video room, study area, common room, probably most important a practice area that is not Hilton. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd really like to know, but doesn't the VB team do all of this in Hilton.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Unless specially designed, curtains may make it look more full, but they also tend to absorb the sound.

The KU volleybal facility is just a lean-to shed attached to their big old barn they call Allen.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Unless specially designed, curtains may make it look more full, but they also tend to absorb the sound.

The KU volleybal facility is just a lean-to shed attached to their big old barn they call Allen.

That place holds our average attendance of 2,4000

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think the bigger issue is no dedicated practice facility. Having to "share" Hilton's schedule and having no dedicated place for kids to practice off time. Playing in Hilton seems less an issue to me.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Good for them. Basketball must really help bring the dough in. Other than being too small for out team, i felt their old arena was a good idea. Far better than the big barn which is really drafty for womens sports.

ISU needs a facility like this.
I am hoping the yet to be announced project in the ISU Center area includes multipurpose space that could serve as a game venue for VB and Wrestling. Likely won’t but hopeful for the benefit of the VB and Wrestling programs.