Electric chain saw recs

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
How often will you be using it? I have a plug-in one I bought from Harbor Freight. Because I don't have that many trees in my yard, my yard isn't that big and I use a chainsaw once every few years or so. I have 3 friends who each all have a different brand, but all have the battery ones. They all seem to work well. Sorry, I don't remember the brands of two of them. I know my one friend has an Ego and he has a place in Northern Wisconsin, so his gets used a lot. It has held up very well. The other guys are like me, maybe one every few years they pull out a chainsaw. If not used on a regular basis, I'd be worried about the batteries sitting for long periods of time.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I've used this one the past 2 years. it's a pole saw but the saw portion separates easily to become a small chainsaw (10"). it works well for the price, although if you're using it hard you get maybe 30 mins out of a battery so I've bought extras and have 5 of them in a rotation.

only thing I've found is you need to replace the chain (they're cheap) if you're using it a lot, especially for pole-sawing. when it gets worn and stretches it will use more oil and start slipping off the bar when you get a little sideways (which is easy to do on a stick 15' above you)

it's rinky-dink if you have real big trees, but for in-town use it's perfect.

batteries fit their leaf blower & hedge trimmer that I have as well. Those go much longer on a single battery.

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
I've got an Ego polesaw and a 16" chainsaw. Love them both. I'm in the Ego ecosystem though so had the batteries and such already. A power saw is awesome compared to gas since you release the trigger and the saw stops, pull the trigger and it's running again. Of course, before I was using a gas saw from my Dad that was a pain to get started and keep running. With the big Ego batteries, I've used it on/off for an hour and still had over 75% of the battery remaining.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cy4Lifer

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Assuming you are looking at cordless, are you already invested in some sort of battery system? If so, that's the way to go unless you are doing serious tree removal.

Essential Craftsman on YouTube had pretty nice things to say about the Makita and Milwaukee. He still has his big gas powered units (former logger in the PNW), but wa very impressed with the Makita.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and AgronAlum

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I have a bit of buyer's remorse after reading reviews of Ego's the last few years, but I invested in the Kobalt (Lowe's brand) of battery yard tools a while back and have been pleased. Chainsaw works fine for smaller jobs which is about all I use it for. If I need a big tree removed I'm hiring that out. I've also got the pole saw, weedwacker and leaf blower. Leaf blower gets the most use. I have had a few batteries go bad and am now experimenting with off-brand replacements.

• Informative

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I have the Ryobi family of battery powered yard tools, which includes a 10" chain saw that can work with a pole. The chain is the most important part of the equation. That little chain needs sharpening twice a year if you use it frequently. Having a replacement chain on hand is helpful.

The small saw does a decent job on medium size logs (12" or less).

• Informative

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I bought a Milwaukee as I already had Milwaukee tools so the batteries are interchangeable. My father has a stihl for the same reason. Both work great.

I think if you're only doing small jobs you'll likely be satisfied with whatever you buy.

• Informative

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I remember Eastern Iowa completely out of chainsaw chains immediately following the derecho. wild times.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have a Greenworks 40v (along with several other Greenworks tools). It works surprisingly well for around 6" or smaller limbs. Their batteries are interchangeable with Masterforce tools too.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Looking to supplement my chain saws with something handy for little stuff. Already have 2 good gas saws for big stuff along with a pole saw I like.

Thank you everyone for your input!

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I have Stihl tools. Best thing I ever purchased. They are so easy my wife uses them. We have a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, weed eater, and leaf blower. The chainsaw, with a new chain, will eat through just about anything. I haven’t fired up my gas one in years.

I have a Dewalt pole saw also. It’s been good. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the name brands. With these kind of tools, you get what you pay for so spend the money on the quality tools.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Looking to supplement my chain saws with something handy for little stuff. Already have 2 good gas saws for big stuff along with a pole saw I like.

Thank you everyone for your input!

If this is the case, buy one that matches your current battery platform for your other tools. Absolutely no reason to think any further than that.