Electric Lawnmowers - Pros and Cons

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
What's people's experience with the batteries? I just had my second Kobalt 80V battery go bad this spring for our blower and trimmer. At $160 for the low capacity replacement battery, I'm going back to using my gas trimmer exclusively. Wondering if the mower batteries are going to be the same way or if they have better technology? Seems at least for the Kobalt's, they just stop charging suddenly rather than die out slowly like the old NMh batteries did. Got 4 seasons out of each battery.
What kind of charger do you have? If there is a fast or slow option to charge always choose the slow, fast chargers will degrade the cells in your battery but the slow chargers keep the battery cooler during charging and it will extend your battery life.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
What kind of charger do you have? If there is a fast or slow option to charge always choose the slow, fast chargers will degrade the cells in your battery but the slow chargers keep the battery cooler during charging and it will extend your battery life.
Also keep the batteries inside (not in the garage) when charging and storing. Extreme hot and cold are no bueno for batteries in general.

Reactions: wxman1

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The charger didn't have a fast or slow option. Just plug and go. It did have a fan running on the batteries when charging.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Also keep the batteries inside (not in the garage) when charging and storing. Extreme hot and cold are no bueno for batteries in general.

So for lawn mowers, do you then take the batteries inside after mowing? I took the trimmer and blower batteries in during the winter, but did leave them in the garage during the summer. Granted, those are significantly smaller than the batteries for the lawn mower I was looking at. It would be kind of a pain to remove them each time to take inside.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Having never priced an electric mower, what is the average cost of a battery? I realize voltages vary per manufacturer.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Having never priced an electric mower, what is the average cost of a battery? I realize voltages vary per manufacturer.

The Ryobi 40v has really gone up from what I've seen. Was $100 - ish. Thinking $150 now.

I got a bootleg from Amazon that was cheaper and is currently working. *Knocks on wood*

franzrinkleff

Apr 4, 2006
i have used battery powered lawn mowers for the last 20 years. I think I am on my 4th one. They were all working when I upgraded them, although the capacity of the batteries had decreased. I sold them to people with smaller yards. The most recent one is by far the nicest. It is self propelled and I can complete my yard, almost .5 acre, in one charge. I leave my batteries in the garage year round. In one of the manuals, it suggested keeping the batteries below 50 degrees if not being used for long periods.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

This is my biggest concern. I was looking at the Ryobi riding mower, but the replacement battery is $899 (it takes 3 of them). Thankfully, our city utility company would give a $960 rebate on the mower, so it gets in line with a gas rider. But if I'm replacing the batteries then this gets too expensive to justify the electric.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So for lawn mowers, do you then take the batteries inside after mowing? I took the trimmer and blower batteries in during the winter, but did leave them in the garage during the summer. Granted, those are significantly smaller than the batteries for the lawn mower I was looking at. It would be kind of a pain to remove them each time to take inside.
I do. I have a spot in my utility room in the basement for my batteries to store and recharge. It's an inconvenience, but I don't have to worry about oil and gas and there is minimal maintenance on my lawn equipment, so its a good trade off IMO. After having electric over the last 5 years I will never go back.

• Agree

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
What's people's experience with the batteries? I just had my second Kobalt 80V battery go bad this spring for our blower and trimmer. At $160 for the low capacity replacement battery, I'm going back to using my gas trimmer exclusively. Wondering if the mower batteries are going to be the same way or if they have better technology? Seems at least for the Kobalt's, they just stop charging suddenly rather than die out slowly like the old NMh batteries did. Got 4 seasons out of each battery.

I went through two Ryobi 40V batteries my first year with the trimmer and blower. They warrantied them out and the third one came with a new charger and design. I think they had a flaw but it’s running on about 5 years now with no issues.

cysdaone

Mar 18, 2015
Des Moines Area
i have used battery powered lawn mowers for the last 20 years. I think I am on my 4th one. They were all working when I upgraded them, although the capacity of the batteries had decreased. I sold them to people with smaller yards. The most recent one is by far the nicest. It is self propelled and I can complete my yard, almost .5 acre, in one charge. I leave my batteries in the garage year round. In one of the manuals, it suggested keeping the batteries below 50 degrees if not being used for long periods.
Do you use the self propel the whole time? What mower are you using?