Electric Snow Blower

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have a single stage and a double stage. I’ve used the double once in the last three years. I’d have been way ahead to just go with the single and hire somebody for the once every three years snowfall.

I have both as well (a gas 2 stage and a battery single stage I was gifted) and while there are times I think this, the end of the driveway snow from the plow always makes me glad I have the 2 stage. The single stage just can't handle that stuff, or the wetter snows.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I’ve had a 2 stage 28”snowblower on tracks and it was a snow eating mother. Then my parents moved in town from the farm and I bought the single stage EGO for him to use. Then we got 7” of snow late last winter and I thought I’d give it a try before I got the big one out and was shocked. The EGO took care of my 3 lane driveway and sidewalks and then did about half of the parents before the batteries died. Never used big Bertha after that, sold it this summer and had the parents buy their own EGO.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
This is my biggest concern and what’s keeping me from buying. My EGO mower works great but the cold weather and extreme temps has to impact the battery performance.
I got the single stage snowblower with 2 5amph batteries, bought a mower with 6 amph battery and blower with another 5amph. If I drain all we we had a crap load of snow. Only thing I won’t do with it is when the snowplow goes buy and pushes the packed heavy crap and the end of the driveway

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like they’ve been good for people but have some drawbacks which I had already assumed.

CysLoveChild

Dec 8, 2011
Ames, IA
Last year I bought a Worx Single stage Battery powered snowblower. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I already have a Worx mower, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, and weed Wacker. I was surprised at how well this little battery powered unit did. However, more important, was I had the mower batteries to use in the snow blower because I could only do about 60% of my driveway (Single lane, can fit 3 cars before the sidewalk) on one set of batteries. So without a 2nd set of batteries, I would probably be super frustrated. But now I also have a 2nd set of batteries for the mower, became a win win.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I’ve got the gas version of this. Best of both worlds on two stage vs single stage. Hands down the fastest and easiest to use, the self propelled feature is :otz:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve been waiting for my 15 year old Craftsman to die but it just fires up first pull every year. I’ve changed the oil once. It just won’t quit. I want to get on the EGO train so I can get one of these.

mb1505-2_minibike_1000x1000.png

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Mowed my neighbors yard with his EGO self propelled this past summer. Disappointed with the battery!! I would mow with it once a week and put the battery on the charger every time I was finished. Came back a week later and times the battery wasn’t fully charged or I was mowing and it would stop and flash red lights. I’d pull the battery out and put it back in and all was good.

This fall trying to mulch two sycamore trees worth of leaves with it was bad. Finally had to quit using the self propelled option as battery just drained like nothing going through those huge leaves.

I did switch from a single stage 2 cycle snow blower to a 4 cycle. Got tired of smelling like gas/oil when I was done moving snow.

Last edited:

Helser 83

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2022
I had a Snow Joe 2-Stage 80V snow blower and it worked awesome. The best part about the battery powered ones is you're done snow blowing before you could even get the gas one started. In my experience anyway. Probably why I now have Stihl battery powered leaf blower, weed eater and chain saw, just pop in the battery and off you go. Don't miss pulling that friggin cord one little bit.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
This is my biggest concern and what’s keeping me from buying. My EGO mower works great but the cold weather and extreme temps has to impact the battery performance.
The cold can be an issue with batteries but it's really not that big of a deal as long as you keep the batteries above 0F. If you're going to have to blow snow when it gets below 0 bring the batteries in the house for 20 minutes to warm up and they'll be fine. The batteries will warm themselves up as you're working you just need to have them warm enough to discharge when you start.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'm probably going to look into getting a battery powered Snow Blower in the not too distant future. To me this makes a lot of sense to be the first battery powered big piece of outdoor power equipment since you never know how many times a year you'll use the thing. Maybe you'll use it a couple times or a couple dozen times and after having my gas one for 15 years I never know if the damn thing is going to start even with having a heated garage.

Based on the research I've done I think you want the Ego or the Toro one. I'm leaning towards the Ego one because I'm eventually going to get a Battery mower and I expect that the Deere battery mowers will eventually be able to take the Ego batteries.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Mowed my neighbors yard with his EGO self propelled this past summer. Disappointed with the battery!! I would mow with it once a week and put the battery on the charger every time I was finished. Came back a week later and times the battery wasn’t fully charged or I was mowing and it would stop and flash red lights. I’d pull the battery out and put it back in and all was good.

This fall trying to mulch two sycamore trees worth of leaves with it was bad. Finally had to quit using the self propelled option as battery just drained like nothing going through those huge leaves.

I did switch from a single stage 2 cycle snow blower to a 4 cycle. Got tired of smelling like gas/oil when I was done moving snow.
Sounds like a battery issue (which I have had on a ryobi trimmer) and would be replaced under warranty.
The cold can be an issue with batteries but it's really not that big of a deal as long as you keep the batteries above 0F. If you're going to have to blow snow when it gets below 0 bring the batteries in the house for 20 minutes to warm up and they'll be fine. The batteries will warm themselves up as you're working you just need to have them warm enough to discharge when you start.
This, just don't keep them in the garage.

Reactions: mramseyISU

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I bought a snow Joe single stage last fall. We get a lot of heavy lake effect snow where I live and it only struggles if it’s about a foot deep. I keep the batteries inside and can clear my driveway without needing to recharge.

Reactions: Candide

RamClone

May 6, 2018
Still using a corded Toro single stage that I bought in 2004. If it dies I might go to battery power, but this thing is just so darn reliable. Used on up to probably six inches. Three car driveway, 100 foot 12 gauge cord. Just go back and forth starting from right next to the garage door out to the street and the cord for the most part is not an issue. Thought about getting a corded hand held electric snow shovel; that would take longer but very easy to maneuver.

• Winner

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Maybe consider a plug in model? With just a driveway, you could spend anywhere from $100-200 and get a highly rated model from SnowJoe, Toro, Ryobi, WEN, etc.

Compared to the $1000-2000 EGO, it might be a more cost effective alternative for your needs.

That’s what I’m looking for. Older kids are aging out of some toys so I’m getting a little more room in the garage. I just kind of want a plug in that’s cheaper with very little maintenance.

• Winner

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Still using a corded Toro single stage that I bought in 2004. If it dies I might go to battery power, but this thing is just so darn reliable. Used on up to probably six inches. Three car driveway, 100 foot 12 gauge cord. Just go back and forth starting from right next to the garage door out to the street and the cord for the most part is not an issue. Thought about getting a corded hand held electric snow shovel; that would take longer but very easy to maneuver.

Similar boat. Got an Ariens a few years back and I hope to not have to buy another for a long time. But when we do, it’ll certainly be electric. There’s nothing wrong with our gas. It starts on the first pull, the 4 stage doesn’t smell at all unless I spill gas on my gloves which has happened more than I’d like to admit. But it just doesn’t get used enough to keep fresh gas all the time. So I end up dumping it into the cars every month or so and fill up the can whenever the weather thread on here pops up. As the battery tech comes along more of our outdoor tools become battery powered. Problem is that all my blowers and trimmers are 18V Ryobi, which won’t cut it for a snow blower. So I’m going to end up with multiple battery sets.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I’ve been waiting for my 15 year old Craftsman to die but it just fires up first pull every year. I’ve changed the oil once. It just won’t quit. I want to get on the EGO train so I can get one of these.

mb1505-2_minibike_1000x1000.png
I wonder if the same company makes EGO and Greenworks because they have a mini-bike very similar to that and I've been very pleased with my Greenworks producst. Also, the batteries for Greenworks work with MasterForce (sold at Menards) so maybe all 3 are the same company?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought this was going to be a joke thread about a snow blower for sale in Manhattan, KS. "Like new, never used."

• Haha
Reactions: huntt26