Electric Snow Blower

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Step right up, I know where you can get a Snow Joe just like new for $100 (and the drive to come get it, but probably not a good idea today). The person who bought it never used it. It was gifted for resale to a local non-profit. The extension cord is new and worth at least $25 alone. PM me if interested. Seriously.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We have a Greenworks electric. 40V. I got through two passes before it quit. The snow was packed pretty good inside it. I cleared it, but the snowblower wouldn't start again. Sigh. I hope I haven't permanently killed it because it's brand new.
I bet it's fine. Let it thaw out a little.

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't own one but if I did, I think I'd keep the batteries indoors.

I learned that lesson the hard way on a 80 V Kolbalt trimmer and blower. Left the batteries in the garage over winter and they were dead the next spring. Wouldn’t even take a charge at all. Battery replacements cost more than the tools themselves.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think today would be a bad day to judge your new snowblower. My two stage was really struggling with this one. Almost like two layers of snow and my driveway is still a mess.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Good news. My electric snowblower worked fine on a second try. Just have to do smaller slivers of snow and watch so the chute and blade area don't get clogged. Today was not the best day for its maiden voyage, but it definitely helped minimize the shoveling.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
I bought a single stage EGO snowblower last year, took it back and returned it after trying to use it once, it didn't throw any snow, just pushed it and clogged up. We have an Ego lawnmore, chainsaw and blower that all work fine. May try a two stage Ego, ideally would like to stop having to store gas.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Good news. My electric snowblower worked fine on a second try. Just have to do smaller slivers of snow and watch so the chute and blade area don't get clogged. Today was not the best day for its maiden voyage, but it definitely helped minimize the shoveling.
Yea! I knew you couldn’t possibly break it!

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I got a used Toro gas snowblower about 10 years ago, that was probably made in the late 80s or early 90s. I got it for cheap from a friend that likes to work on small engines. Every winter I kind of assume it won't start/stop working and I'll buy a new electric. And every winter it keeps working with no issues. I don't do any maintenance other than draining the gas in the spring.

Reactions: Angie

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I've got a snow joe plug in electric snow blower. I would not recommend. I'll keep using it because I live in springfield illinois where we get a sizable snow once every other winter. Everything else I've got is greenworks 80v. If this one ever dies, I'd consider a greenworks snow shovel, or small snow blower.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I have the EGO 56V non-propelled version. Today was the first use of its 5th year.
In a "normal" snow it has enough battery life to do my small corner lot's sidewalk (about 160 feet of sidewalk), my 1 car width driveway, and my adjacent neighbor's sidewalks (about 140 feet of sidewalk).
Today was obviously much heavier and more volume than normal. So, I ran out of battery power while doing the driveway and after clearing my own sidewalk.

Its power output, longevity, and ease of use have put it into my list of good purchases for the home.

Biggest con - The bottom scraper blade is plastic. And it catches easily on the gaps between sidewalk sections. So, mine is beat to hell, and doesn't work as easily as it once did.
I end up going back with a shovel that has a straight, metal edge to get the last snow cleared off the walkways & driveways if it's the last snow for the day.

Plus, I haven't had a good storage setup for it. It sits on concrete in an unheated small shed. There is a lot of corrosion on the metal nuts, rivets, etc on the bottom of the unit. I'm going to look at replacing what I can in the spring (assuming the thing doesn't fall apart this snow season).
My fault there. I'll be getting a better storage, cleaning, and drying setup before purchasing whatever my next snow blower is.

Will I buy an EGO again?
If there is a reasonably priced unit with a metal scraper. Or If I can just get a replacement plastic scraper cheaply and replace it every few years that can work too.
The ease of use is huge - the wife is comfortable using this thing.
And I have an EGO mower, trimmer, and blower. So, I'm invested in their ecosystem enough that I might just get another EGO.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I will let everyone know how my big, heavy gas blower compares to the two neighbors with the battery ones. I'll do their sidewalks to assert my dominance! :jimlad:
My neighbor has a big boy. Nine times out of ten I've been out with my battery one and done my sidewalk plus his before he's gotten the gumption to get that thing horsed out of the garage. :jimlad:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My neighbor has a big boy. Nine times out of ten I've been out with my battery one and done my sidewalk plus his before he's gotten the gumption to get that thing horsed out of the garage. :jimlad:

Work smarter not harder. Why get out of bed early when your neighbor will do your sidewalk for you?

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Work smarter not harder. Why get out of bed early when your neighbor will do your sidewalk for you?
Golden rule.
It takes less than 5 extra minutes if I'm out there. So, for every hour of my time I'll have done his sidewalk over a dozen times.
A pretty cheap investment, in my opinion, to have the peace of mind to know I can text him if I'm ever unable.
Plus, they usually give me a Casey's gift card or something to feel like they don't owe me (which they certainly don't if something is done under the guise of the golden rule).

Reactions: Angie

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think today would be a bad day to judge your new snowblower. My two stage was really struggling with this one. Almost like two layers of snow and my driveway is still a mess.

Yeah, i just did mine, after already doing a pre-clear late last night with my single stage electric (a greenworks 40v electric). My 2 stage gas one was struggling to do today's stuff. Just so heavy and wet. The electric was doing ok with it last night other than that i had to periodically stop and clear it as it would get clogged up in the chute.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
How long does the battery last on these electric snow blowers? I live on a corner house with 2-3x the sidewalk, so it would be nice to able to actually complete the sidewalks and driveway before running out of battery.