Electric Snow Blower

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Which is why I snow blow the street to the curb so the plow has nothing to block my drive. Adds about 15 minutes but saves me fighting the plow when they come back. Probably get run over some day.

Also this avoids the frozen clumps that have broken my plastic shute.
I use to do something similar at my old house, but it does no good in my current situation. My house is at the junction of a T intersection, so my house is at the end of a road. When the plow comes down that road and turns all the snow comes off the plow blade and into my driveway, and during heavy snow it dumps a lot of snow at the end of my driveway. Way more than my neighbors or any of the old houses I've lived in. It really sucks.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
After watching some neighbors this afternoon I have really come to appreciate my Ariens, particularly the automatic differential. Its almost painful watching them try to lug around their machines and lift them up to turn. The ariens turns on a dime with almost no effort. They're not the cheapest option but damn they're nice.
Couldn't agree more. My Ariens worked like a charm today. I have a large driveway, and my 28 inch blower handled it very well.

Reactions: NoCreativity

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So I told my parents to buy an EGO two stage in part because of this thread. They purchased it yesterday, charged the batteries indoors and only got half of their driveway/sidewalk done today before it quit. It’s a three car wide driveway and a typical Ankeny sized corner lot. I’d expect a little more out of a 1500 dollar snowblower.

It has since been returned for a Toro gas.

My 15 year old Craftsman fired right up yet again last night. Adjusted the skids and off it went.

Did they have the power turned up to turbo? That will eat through battery in no time but is basically beast mode. If I remember right you mentioned earlier that they have several other Ego tools. Did they use the batteries from those? If so what size are they?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Did they have the power turned up to turbo? That will eat through battery in no time but is basically beast mode. If I remember right you mentioned earlier that they have several other Ego tools. Did they use the batteries from those? If so what size are they?

Nope, no other EGO tools. I mentioned that I was planning on going EGO when my gas stuff starts to die. They were the batteries that came with the blower.

I don’t know anything about how they were running it. Just what was said over the phone.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Nope, no other EGO tools. I mentioned that I was planning on going EGO when my gas stuff starts to die. They were the batteries that came with the blower.

I don’t know anything about how they were running it. Just what was said over the phone.
Gotcha, must have mixed it up with something else in my brain.

My guess is either they had the power turned all the way up or possibly infant defective batteries.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Gotcha, must have mixed it up with something else in my brain.

My guess is either they had the power turned all the way up or possibly infant defective batteries.

Out of curiosity, would you not want the power turned all the way up with 8-10 inches of heavy snow?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Out of curiosity, would you not want the power turned all the way up with 8-10 inches of heavy snow?

I guess it depends on how far its kicking it out. If you can get it well clear of the driveway at an 8, no need to burn the battery on a 10

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

So what store did they return the EGO 2 stage to if you don't mind. I might call and see if they have any returned EGO 2 stage snowblowers at a discounted price......:)

I have a single stage EGO and it handled 90% of the snow just fine except for end of drive. First pass was tougher but taking half swaths it worked fine. Last year I had a 24" tracked gasser that was a beast and it would have handled everything with ease, but pain in the a$$ to store and not worth keeping for storms like yesterday that come 1-2 times in 5 years. I have neighbors that still have the 22-28" gassers and they were even having issues with the wet stuff so yesterday's type of snow is tough for most blowers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think you were using the shovel wrong.

kelce-travis-kelce.gif

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So what store did they return the EGO 2 stage to if you don't mind. I might call and see if they have any returned EGO 2 stage snowblowers at a discounted price......:)

I have a single stage EGO and it handled 90% of the snow just fine except for end of drive. First pass was tougher but taking half swaths it worked fine. Last year I had a 24" tracked gasser that was a beast and it would have handled everything with ease, but pain in the a$$ to store and not worth keeping for storms like yesterday that come 1-2 times in 5 years. I have neighbors that still have the 22-28" gassers and they were even having issues with the wet stuff so yesterday's type of snow is tough for most blowers.

Ace Hardware in Ankeny.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have two driveways and one had 4-5' drifts in it last night. My tractor blew a hydraulic hose right off the bat so I had to do the whole thing (about 130 yds total) with my 4-wheeler and blade. Took me about 3 hours:mad: Also, picked a bad year to not put up snow fence.

Sorry, off topic. But just shows bigger equipment can also be a PIA.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

How heavy is your EGO blower? You mentioned easier to store also, what makes the big EGOs easier to store?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Wish they made giant flame throwers to just melt the crap and you'd maybe keep warm at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: herbicide

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
How heavy is your EGO blower? You mentioned easier to store also, what makes the big EGOs easier to store?
When I was talking about easier to store I was referring to my 21" single stage snowblower where you can fold down the handle and put it in the basement storage room and it takes up about 2' x 3' x 2' area. Easier to store that way in garage as well during snow season. If I buy the 24" double stage then not so much, altho I could still store it in the basement storage room in the off-season.

How heavy is it? Not sure about the double stage but the single stage is light enough I have no problem picking it up and throwing it in the back of the truck to go take care of my parents house. Another big reason I made the switch.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Ace Hardware in Ankeny.

Not that I was expecting any deal by buying a return, but I called the Ace in Ankeny and got someone who told me they have no inventory of EGO snowblowers and when I asked if they ever get any returns, she said she can only remember one but that was some time ago. She said to call back tomorrow to see if another truck showed up with more. LOL

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Not that I was expecting any deal by buying a return, but I called the Ace in Ankeny and got someone who told me they have no inventory of EGO snowblowers and when I asked if they ever get any returns, she said she can only remember one but that was some time ago. She said to call back tomorrow to see if another truck showed up with more. LOL

I just purchased one at the Hickman Ace this morning, partly because of this thread since I had been looking at electric snow blowers for awhile. Go to Ace's website and it will show you inventory around the metro.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

No idea. They took it back yesterday with a 50 dollar restocking fee.