Eligibility Question

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This is purely hypothetical, but if I were to take one of the women's basketball players out for supper on a date type thing, would it be an NCAA violation to pay for their meal? Keep in mind this is purely hypothetical.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Are you kidding, go get her! Truth, I dated a female athlete on scholarship when I was there and no, nobody was hounding me about paying for dinner.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
This is purely hypothetical, but if I were to take one of the women's basketball players out for supper on a date type thing, would it be an NCAA violation to pay for their meal? Keep in mind this is purely hypothetical.
You would have to be a booster or friend of the program, financially for that to be considered a infraction.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Isn't a season ticket holder considered a booste?

Yes, because most times the location of your tickets require some sort of scholarship contribution.

Except if the ticket holder is a student. Student tickets do not require a contribution for seat placement. As long as the original poster is a fellow student then all is good.

Plus dinner and a movie does not surpass any benefit that a regular student could not get. However if IcSyU plans on taking her to Lake Tahoe via his daddy's Leer jet to have a meal catered by a 5 star chef who was flown in from Paris just for this one meal, then it may be a violation.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Per Cyclones.com:

Who is a representative of athletics
interests?
A “representative of the institution’s athletics
interests” (booster) is an individual who is known
(or should have been known) as a Local or National
Cyclone Club Member, anyone who donates money
to the athletic department, anyone that has ever
been a season ticket holder, fans, faculty and staff,
former students, anyone assisting in the
recruitment of a prospect, or anyone involved in
promoting the athletics program.
Once you have been identified as an institutional
representative of athletics interests, you retain that
identity FOREVER.
ONCE A BOOSTER, ALWAYS A BOOSTER!

Basically anyone that has ever purchased tickets to an athletic event could probably "technically" be considered a booster I think. I'm pretty sure if you ask an athlete about the whole paying for dinner thing they probably will know and if you are really concerned just email our compliance department and ask.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
That would be sweet to play that card with your girlfriend if she was an athlete, "Sorry honey, you know I'm not allowed to pay for dinner or the movie tonight. Make sure you bring your purse."

I would have saved probably thousands of dollars. :skeptical:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That would be sweet to play that card with your girlfriend if she was an athlete, "Sorry honey, you know I'm not allowed to pay for dinner or the movie tonight. Make sure you bring your purse."

Also coach said you have to be in at 10:00 so sorry you can't go to the bar with me.

I see endless possabilities.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006

The real question is could you even get a date with a bball player?