enCYCLONEpedia: (Not) Going for it

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I went deeper down the fourth down rabbit hole as it applied to the 4th & 1 that Coach Rhoads opted to not try to convert in the 2nd quarter against Iowa on Saturday.

The main questions I was trying to answer that I didn't in a similar post a couple of weeks ago were if Rhoads has really changed by not going for it like he would've early in his tenure and how his decision is affected by the score and game situation.

Thanks for reading.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/football/news/encyclonepedia-not-going-for-it/

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I'm glad there are stats to back this notion up. It seemed like every game last year we had a 4th and short right before half and elected to punt to make them "earn" the points, only to come out in a prevent defense allowing them to move the ball with ease and get points before half.

He's lost his marbles it seems.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
One of the biggest issues with these situations for ISU is they don't have a good option for picking up a 4th and short. No big brusing back or "Belldozer" type player that you can just smash into the line and pick it up. We run everything out of the shotgun, which is utterly stupid on a down of less than a yard. The fact that Rhoads and Mangino don't have enough foresight to prepare for a situation that is critical to win football games is a pretty clear indication of why ISU isn't successful.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The contrast between the 2011 and 2012 seasons is stark. So what could have possibly happened between those two seasons that would cause a coach stop taking some risks/playing aggressive and start sitting back/playing it safe? Hmmmm.....

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
My thoughts are pretty simple. By not going for it in plus territory on 4th and short you're playing not to lose by making the opposition "earn" it instead of staying the aggressor.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
One of the biggest issues with these situations for ISU is they don't have a good option for picking up a 4th and short. No big brusing back or "Belldozer" type player that you can just smash into the line and pick it up. We run everything out of the shotgun, which is utterly stupid on a down of less than a yard. The fact that Rhoads and Mangino don't have enough foresight to prepare for a situation that is critical to win football games is a pretty clear indication of why ISU isn't successful.
Yes! And while I think the punt was definitely the right call (unfortunately Tucker got hurt and that, imo, allowed the hoks to drive so easily on their ensuing possession), part of the problem in these short yardage situations is the lack of being "ready to go" with the next play. Even against UNI, on 1st and 1 at the 1, the Clones needed to line up the QB (perhaps subbing in Lanning) behind center and go as quickly as possible. You either catch the defense off guard or force them to take a time out. We are so "slow" running this so-called up-tempo offense.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The contrast between the 2011 and 2012 seasons is stark. So what could have possibly happened between those two seasons that would cause a coach stop taking some risks/playing aggressive and start sitting back/playing it safe? Hmmmm.....
Are you talking about Herman because I'm not sure.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Zoom.gif

#7 Joel Lanning
Position:Quarterback
Height:6'2"
Weight:232

2 Mike WarrenRB6-0200RFr.Lawton, Okla. (Lawton)

6 Tyler BrownRB5-11188RSo.Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson)

I don't know if Lanning can be a "Belldozer", but he certainly puts our main RB's to shame in the measurables dept. Is it not worth a shot to give him some short yardage snaps?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Zoom.gif

#7 Joel Lanning
Position:
Quarterback
Height:
6'2"
Weight:

Mike Warren
RB
6-0
RFr.
Lawton, Okla. (Lawton)

Tyler Brown
RB
5-11
RSo.
Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson)

I don't know if Lanning can be a "Belldozer", but he certainly puts our main RB's to shame in the measurables dept. Is it not worth a shot to give him some short yardage snaps?

Interesting. Does anyone know who watched him play in high school - did he have any ball security problems.

I'm trying to guess why we haven't seen this tried. Maybe he doesn't have as much leg strength as the RB's do. Or maybe the coach just fails to try it.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
And didn't we take a time out as well? Immediately following the review. Only to come out and punt.. Or am I dreaming?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Take both guards and line them up directly next to center so that they are basically touching sides with the Center. Put Lanning in game under center and stick a lineman directly behind Lanning. Hike the ball and both Guards and Center move the DT and NG backwards while our 230LB QB moves forward being pushed from behind by a 300LB Olineman. Absolutely impossible to defend...impossible. If you can't pick up half a yard in that formation then the entire football program needs to be eliminated. I don't care if it's 4th and inches on your own 1 yd line. It's impossible to stop getting half a yard with what I just described.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Of course what I just described would never happen under CPR or MM. They would line up in shotgun in a pistol formation.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This fourth and one failure rate smacks what a crappy running team we have been.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Has it happened in any game situation at the college level?

All the time....with the exception of maybe a lineman pushing the QB for added comfort. But that's what I would do. This isn't rocket science. CPR mentioned during the pressed "what if a Dlineman stunts" etc. well no kidding. So what u are saying CPR is u have absolutely zero confidence in your Oline and QB to get you half a yard? Pathetic. I guarantee u with 100% certainty that Iowa goes for it. 100%. And they would have handed it off to the RB. We don't even need to do that. We have a 230LB QB who can easily get half a yard in a big formation. Easy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Getting one yard or six inches the weakest part of our team. Maybe we need to emulate what the pros do with their little swing passes.