Energy Doctor

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
My wife and I were at the energy fair they had in Ames on Saturday when the solar car race went through. While there, we talked with someone from Energy Doctor. Last night a couple of salesmen came by and talked some more about one of their products - Energy Guard.

The Energy Guard is basically two sheets of aluminum foil held together by a polymer. It is placed in the attic on top of your existing insulation and is supposed to reflect the heat from the sun back up in the summer to make it cooler and the heat already in the house down in the winter to make it warmer. Does anyone have any experience with this particular product or anything similar? Does it work as well as advertised and will it actually save us some money on our utility bills?

They are out of Ankeny and their website is http://www.energydoctorinc.com/. Any feedback or personal stories are appreciated.

Thanks.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have a two-story house and had this product installed about 2.5 years ago. I did it mainly to help the central A/C to cool the 2nd story in the summer. Before I had to install a window unit in my BR to make it bearable or crank the central air down to 66 degrees. I was frankly surprised at how much of a difference it made. I haven't installed the window unit the last two summers now. They told me I would notice a difference more with cooling than heating since my attic was already well insulated and also since I like the thermostat at 56 degrees to sleep in the winter anyway. I've been pretty satisfied with their product.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
I just recently installed a like product. I purchased online called atticfoil. We have 100 percent electric and have had atleast a 40 percent savings in usage over the past 3 months.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
My neighbors had something like that, but they had to rip it all out when mold grew underneath. Big cleanup bill.

Help Support Us

Become a patron