Envy

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
15K in Carver-Hawkeye tonight. The atmosphere looked insane on TV.

Is there any chance we get near that level again?

Reactions: CyDude16

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
umm sat night...

Different sport. Obviously we will have a better atmosphere for our basketball game than they did for their wrestling meet.

But back to the original question: it would take us becoming relevant in wrestling again. Being on the verge of being ranked isn't doing us any good in a sport with much fewer participants, where we have been dominant in the past. In short, yes. But it would take an improvement in the team to do so.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

I don't see it. I don't follow wrestling closely, but my impression is it is a dying sport currently. So even with success at ISU, I don't see the fan base coming back to what it once was. It is much harder to win back fans than it would have been to maintain the fan base like Iowa did.

I could be wrong, and the support could be there. I just don't see it.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Considering the reference to Carver-Hawkeye, I hope we don't ever get to the level of 15,000 doosh-nozzle fans in attendance cheering for the Cyclones.

But that's just me....

CycloneNation18

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2012
Harlan, IA
We can get near the level but not until we fire Kevin Jackson and find someone who can bring life back into the wrestling program. We need to recruit the state much better and not let Iowa get the first pick of Iowa's top wrestlers.

Reactions: CyDude16

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I don't see it. I don't follow wrestling closely, but my impression is it is a dying sport currently. So even with success at ISU, I don't see the fan base coming back to what it once was. It is much harder to win back fans than it would have been to maintain the fan base like Iowa did.

I could be wrong, and the support could be there. I just don't see it.

It's not a dying sport overall but I can see where someone in the Big 12 might see it as dying considering the Big 12 went from a very good wrestling league with lots of wrestling schools to a not very good wrestling league with few wrestling schools. It will never be as big (or even close) as basketball even at a place like Iowa. I'd put it's importance on par with college hockey or womens basketball.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I doubt it. Like many things ISU that sport for us has simply taken too many kicks to the junk.

Twist it however you like - when Sanderson left us it may have been the final straw. I mean how many Gables can go through.

Bobby45

Aug 15, 2012
We can get near the level but not until we fire Kevin Jackson and find someone who can bring life back into the wrestling program. We need to recruit the state much better and not let Iowa get the first pick of Iowa's top wrestlers.

FIRE KEVIN JACKSON... I agree one hundred percent with that assessment. Until we er JP hires a wrestling coach who can recruit world class wrestlers we at ISU will continue to SUCK in Wrestling.

I watched the ASU meet last nite and I thought that years ago under Nichols/ Gibbons/ Sanderson we would have blown arizona state right outta the building. We have guys wrestling for us now that in our good old days would never have been offered a spot on our wrestling team.

Until We at Ia State hire a great wrestling coach we will continue to be a second class program.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
When ISU wrestling was at its peak, what kind of attendance did we see? I do not mean the Iowa dual, but against other B12 teams?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It's not a dying sport overall but I can see where someone in the Big 12 might see it as dying considering the Big 12 went from a very good wrestling league with lots of wrestling schools to a not very good wrestling league with few wrestling schools. It will never be as big (or even close) as basketball even at a place like Iowa. I'd put it's importance on par with college hockey or womens basketball.

Womens basketball and volleyball have a much larger following nationwide than wrestling. I would even put wrestling below hockey as well. People in Iowa (especially Iowa fans) tend to drastically overestimate wrestling as a national sport.

And actually when you look at the number of collegiate wrestling programs from the last 30 years to now it is a dying sport at the collegiate level. There are lots of schools adding other sports but wrestling isn't one of those sports being added.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I'd say FB>mbb>wbb>baseball then slightly below that hockey, volleyball, and wrestling are pretty close...

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Womens basketball and volleyball have a much larger following nationwide than wrestling. I would even put wrestling below hockey as well. People in Iowa (especially Iowa fans) tend to drastically overestimate wrestling as a national sport.

And actually when you look at the number of collegiate wrestling programs from the last 30 years to now it is a dying sport at the collegiate level. There are lots of schools adding other sports but wrestling isn't one of those sports being added.

I agree with you about women's basketball having a larger following, but definitely not volleyball. It just doesn't draw that many fans. Even when you have two highly ranked teams playing each other you can see on TV that there are very few fans in attendance.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
When ISU wrestling was at its peak, what kind of attendance did we see? I do not mean the Iowa dual, but against other B12 teams?

As far as I can tell, there's only been one non-Iowa dual to draw over 10K at Hilton.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
There are lots of schools adding other sports but wrestling isn't one of those sports being added.

This is patently FALSE. Wrestling is actually *growning* at the collegiate level. The growth isn't among the big schools but at the DII/DIII and NAIA level.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Gable created a great following for Iowa wrestling. That has not died. Iowa has an exciting style of wrestling to watch. They also have pretty much dominated the sport the last 30 years. I sucks to say but I would rather watch Iowa wrestle than ISU.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I agree with you about women's basketball having a larger following, but definitely not volleyball. It just doesn't draw that many fans. Even when you have two highly ranked teams playing each other you can see on TV that there are very few fans in attendance.

So volleyball games with 4-10,000 in attendance isn't well attended? Outside of a few wrestling programs very few get over 1500 in attendance. One thing to remember is that just about every school has a volleyball team so I would guess the overall attendance of volleyball is much larger than wrestling. The top 20 avg attendance in wrestling and volleyball look almost identical stats wise.

Wrestling
1. Iowa 9,014
2. Penn State 6,480
3. Ohio State 3,126
4. Iowa State 3,087
5. Minnesota 3,024
6. Oklahoma State 2,564
7. Lehigh 2,141
8. Cornell 1,981
9. Nebraska 1,620
10. Navy 1,595

Volleyball
1Hawaii126,827196,675
2Nebraska77,164184,287
3Minnesota53,050163,316
4Penn St.55,783173,281
5Wisconsin42,278133,252
6UNI33,015113,001
7Wichita St.34,792122,899
8Purdue48,566172,857
9Illinois33,713122,809
10Texas52,850202,643
11Iowa St.37,981152,532

We as Iowans view wrestling in high regards, I get that. But go else where in the US and the view is different. The south will tell you that softball, track and field, mens and womens soccer is much more important than wrestling. The west coast will tell you softball, soccer, swimming, etc. is more important than wrestling. Heck even as wrestling rich the NE is they may tell you that Lacrosse is more important than wrestling.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
We are we talking about volleyball and hockey? We drew big crowds at ISU before. Minnesota having a strong hockey program has nothing to do with that.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

The "wrestling is a dying sport" debate has been hashed out (and debunked) many times on here and don't feel like getting into it again.

You claim volleyball has a much larger national following yet the highest attendance figure was 6,600 (Hawaii who was also the only school above 5,000) and even at a school like PSU that has a great volleyball program the wrestling program doubles the attendance of the volleyball program.

ISU averaged just above 2,500 fans for volleyball which was a top ten figure. Even as down as the ISU wrestling program is they average more than that.

My point was that wrestling, like hockey or women's basketball are alike in that they have huge followings at certain schools, and are irrelevent at others.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron