Ernst

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Actually I wouldn't and people probably shouldn't.
By all means, keep your head in the sand if you wish, but doubting he'll contribute and giving credence to the multiple words of caution isn't a CW nugget situation. This is a player that has never significantly contributed in several stops. In Big 12 basketball the burden of proof is usually on the side suggesting such players will succeed, not the other way. The question is what makes anyone think he'll contribute.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
By all means, keep your head in the sand if you wish, but doubting he'll contribute and giving credence to the multiple words of caution isn't a CW nugget situation. This is a player that has never significantly contributed in several stops. In Big 12 basketball the burden of proof is usually on the side suggesting such players will succeed, not the other way. The question is what makes anyone think he'll contribute.

This is funny. He's 6'10"! That is CF's wet dream right there. Nothing else matters except 6'10".

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I mean Holden only averages 1 more ppg than our freshman guard Long. Our bigs aren't that amazing this year. Young is still raw, Holden was a miss, and Bowie is a toss up. I would put more stock into our bigs aren't that good instead of him not trusting them.
And some of that poor play, or no play, is on Prohm. While I agree there's not a whole lot of risk free options and that's mostly on Fred, is Prohm getting the most from them or apt in his approach to developing them? If he was going to not be able to coach good play out of his recruit Holden, and then bail on Holden, he should have been giving Young a lot more investment minutes (which he essentially admitted to doing with Holden).

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I mean Holden only averages 1 more ppg than our freshman guard Long. Our bigs aren't that amazing this year. Young is still raw, Holden was a miss, and Bowie is a toss up. I would put more stock into our bigs aren't that good instead of him not trusting them.
Holden obviously was a miss but let's look at some game examples.

Against Baylor with plenty of time left in the first half (10:00 or so) Holden, Bowie, Young, and Burton I believe all had 2 fouls. Now I know people bag on Carter and I don't think he needs regular minutes but that would have been a great time to give him a couple minutes to bridge the gap. Send him out to play as hard as possible. Now obviously it worked out but that's a big risk to leave bigs in with 2 fouls.

Just in general Prohm also doesn't seem to rotate bigs in as much. Specifically Young. He is still learning but he will be playing well and need a break. We then don't see him for an extended period of time.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Guess what I would do if a guy quit my team? Talk **** about him. That's the worst place to get info from.
Fair enough. I guess my cause from concern is the lack of good news we've heard regarding Kasongo. Almost every sit out transfer we've had, there's been rumblings of how good the player looks in practice. Just last year Prohm said Nick Weiller-Babb would be in rotation if he was eligible. I frequent CF, Scout and 247 and have yet to read one encouraging nugget regarding Kasongo from his time at tennesse or, more importantly, his 8 months here so far at ISU.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Coaches miss on guys, particularly bigs that came on late due to a myriad of factors . Have you watched our post game the past few years? It's reasonable to say we don't appropriately value the contributions an athletic, but still developing, big guy brings. Carter still being here and riding the pine is not sufficient in saying Ernst. Frankly, Ernst was smart to leave. There are plenty of successful programs that know how to develop and utilize a guy like him.
We do not have a post game.

Reactions: nickcyv

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Prohm likely didn't think Brady would fit his system or was counting on being ok with Lard and Malou. It could have been a mistake, but I'm trusting Prohm until he proves otherwise. He's just now getting into his second conference slate and has the record I thought he would, with a better showing against Baylor than I expected a month ago.

With Ernst, I think most of us were hoping we found that diamond in the rough. We root for the Iowa guy. We want him to be the next Jared Homan. The thought of him going to a high profile school like Xavier and possibly having a solid career when we had him in cardinal and gold sucks, but I still wish him well. I have nothing against him in the slightest.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Fair enough. I guess my cause from concern is the lack of good news we've heard regarding Kasongo. Almost every sit out transfer we've had, there's been rumblings of how good the player looks in practice. Just last year Prohm said Nick Weiller-Babb would be in rotation if he was eligible. I frequent CF, Scout and 247 and have yet to read one encouraging nugget regarding Kasongo from his time at tennesse or, more importantly, his 8 months here so far at ISU.
There was a kosongo thread, it didn't seem very positive

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Prohm likely didn't think Brady would fit his system or was counting on being ok with Lard and Malou. It could have been a mistake, but I'm trusting Prohm until he proves otherwise. He's just now getting into his second conference slate and has the record I thought he would, with a better showing against Baylor than I expected a month ago.

With Ernst, I think most of us were hoping we found that diamond in the rough. We root for the Iowa guy. We want him to be the next Jared Homan. The thought of him going to a high profile school like Xavier and possibly having a solid career when we had him in cardinal and gold sucks, but I still wish him well. I have nothing against him in the slightest.

This is a solid post. Totally agree...Prohm probably felt pretty confident in what he had coming in (without the knowledge he wouldn't have it.) This program has absolutely failed in recruiting and developing Iowa kids. Epic failure would be my thought. There's some good talent in Iowa but ISU hasn't had a decent Iowa kid since Homan, and that's been forever ago.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
FYI for you basketball nerds in Central Iowa...

Ernst and Indian Hills will play in Marshalltown (Community College) Wednesday, January 25 @ 7:00 pm.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Has anybody asked Brady whose decision it was to leave. Are we sure Prohm asked Brady to leave? Maybe just maybe it was Bradys decision all along?

• Agree
Reactions: 83Clone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Until his thread and his picture with Lard at the game this weekend I had totally forgotten he was even here.

storycy

Nov 4, 2014
Until his thread and his picture with Lard at the game this weekend I had totally forgotten he was even here.
To be fair, Tennessee fans were questioning Barnes after ISU signed Kasongo wondering if he had screwed up letting Ray go if a program like ISU wanted him. Now our fans are second guessing Prohm (myself included though I was firmly in the "wanted Brady to stay" camp from the git go) because Ernst is headed to a top 25 program. Time will tell if the decisions were right or wrong.