ESPN Jinx

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
This is from ISU/KU press release:
"Since Feb. 24, 2001, ISU is 1-14 in games played on ESPN or ESPN2...the Cyclones have lost 10-straight games on ESPN...its last win in an ESPN televised game was a 79-77 win at No. 5 Kansas, Feb. 5, 2001."

What's up with this? I am guessing they match us up against quality opponents every time we're on...

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
Ouch, that stings a little.

Bottom line, gotta win some games! I remember when the football team was getting press that said they couldn't beat a ranked opponent or beat anyone on the road. Win some games and it shuts up the critics.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I'm guessing its because everytime we're on ESPN or the Dos, its not because of who we are - it because of who we're playing.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
This is from ISU/KU press release:
"Since Feb. 24, 2001, ISU is 1-14 in games played on ESPN or ESPN2...the Cyclones have lost 10-straight games on ESPN...its last win in an ESPN televised game was a 79-77 win at No. 5 Kansas, Feb. 5, 2001."

What's up with this? I am guessing they match us up against quality opponents every time we're on...

In 2004-2005 season we beat Virginia on ESPN, they were ranked 20th ish at the time. That is after 2001

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Its because of who we played. Since after the 2001 season we've struggled in general between LEs end and Wayne Morgan's sleepwalking years.

Out of those 14 times, 7 of the losses have come against Kansas and Texas. Throw in a loss in the NIT Semi-Finals, Ohio State this year, and a couple of losses each to Boston College and Oklahoma State and that's most of it. For the most part its been almost all against good teams exacerbated by non-coaching.

It will end very soon, we're getting back on track.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
All the more reason for us as fans to want to help our team get that gorrilla off of our collective backs. Hilton should be nothing less than rocking on Saturday. And BTW to the people who sit on either side of the court, when the students start jumping and motioning for you to stand up and cheer...it means that we are about errupt and it is time for you to get roudy as well. ;)

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I agree. I'll never understand why the students gave up their courtside seats for seats underneath the basket. That was the worst move that could have happened at Hilton.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
I think were also 0-6 on HD (the VA game wasn't HD)...i need a win to justify my 50" Sony HD !!!

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I agree. I'll never understand why the students gave up their courtside seats for seats underneath the basket. That was the worst move that could have happened at Hilton.

Yeah, I'm sure it was the students idea. "Hey AD, can we sit under the baskets instead. The courtside seats are just too good."

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah, I'm sure it was the students idea. "Hey AD, can we sit under the baskets instead. The courtside seats are just too good."

I don't know if it was their idea or not, but I think it was proposed to them and they agreed to it.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Propose it to us again and see what the response is. :frown3qg:

I'm with ya, but the old people and Pollard I'm sure aren't. Hilton Magic was created in large part because half of one side of the court was practically all students.

roostercogburn

Nov 20, 2006
Ames, Ia
The students had no say in where the student section is, it comes down to money and the seats we had make way more money than seats that are under the basket. It is actually surprising that the students get both ends of the court considering that we don't fill the whole section (upper level too) unless we have a marquee game

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Student support is a huge part of the Magic. If moving us to one side of the court (not the ends) would generate more energy and more excitement in Hilton...therefore making it a more intimidating atmosphere to play in for opposing teams, then why not? Students going crazy for a few hours straight in support and pride for their school and classmates is the what is what makes college baskeball such a pure form of athletic competition. Just IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron