ESPN Out for B1G TV Rights

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Not just coaches.

It's only a matter of time before players are truly being paid directly by the ADs and that's when the difference becomes insurmountable. Penn State players are already establishing a union.
Yup, it’s a matter of time. It’s fairly doable to overcome coaching salaries and facilities in an arms race. Where the gap widens is if they can allocate 20-30% for the players that the non-P2 conference’s simply won’t have resources for.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
SIAP but I read a quote from Mack Rhoades and he said the Big 12 could nip the heels of the SEC/BIG10 in terms of $$$.

Now, I find that hard to believe and maybe we have different definitions of "nip the heels"

I'm no expert, but let me throw out a hypothetical.

NBC and CBS paid $350M for 1 Big 10 game a week. To pricy for ESPN, Amazon, Apple.

How much would ESPN pay for 1 Big 12 game a week? $175M
How much would NBC pay for 1 Big 12 game a week? $175M? Create a 3 game triple header each Saturday?
How much would Amazon pay for 1 Big 12 game a week? $175M?

In theory, that would be those networks valuing a Big 12 game as half the value of a Big 10 game. If that's correct and the Big 12 stays at 12 teams, that'd be $44M per team. Lets say the other 2 or 3 Big 12 games each week earn each team $10M total (lets say ESPN+, FS1, Peacock, Paramount+, Apple) and that Tier 3 rights earn each team $4M total, that would be $58M per team in the Big 12 in media rights, which would be a pretty solid deal.

Honestly, I don't think my numbers are that far fetched.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Agree on the thought of needing content, but that content is going up against their T1 BIG games.

Is it better that be other BIG games in which viewers taken from the T1 game benefits the conference you have a stake in, or a more cost effective discount league in anticipation those games won't be top rated?

I’ve read this five times and I don’t understand the point.

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
I'm certain BTN will still be a thing, so Big Ten fans will potentially have to have all these networks plus any related streaming service to make sure that they can watch all the games. That would be annoying.
All those networks are pretty standard. I think most people already have them and have been watching college football on them for years

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Sorry, here is the whole list of Football viewership for B12 and P12. This shows that the B12 is in the bottom of the list. It does not include our new 4 teams, as they did not have the broadcast coverage we had.

TEAMVIEWERS
Oregon1.96 million
Stanford1.83 million
Washington1.73 million
Washington State1.59 million
Colorado1.49 million
Utah1.44 million
Oklahoma State1.28 million
California1.27 million
TCU1.22 million
Arizona State1.19 million
West Virginia1.10 million
Baylor1.07 million
Iowa State1.04 million
Texas Tech866,000
Arizona815,000
Kansas State748,000
"Our"

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sorry, here is the whole list of Football viewership for B12 and P12. This shows that the B12 is in the bottom of the list. It does not include our new 4 teams, as they did not have the broadcast coverage we had.

TEAMVIEWERS
Oregon1.96 million
Stanford1.83 million
Washington1.73 million
Colorado1.49 million
Utah1.44 million
California1.27 million
TCU1.22 million
Baylor1.07 million
Iowa State1.04 million
Texas Tech866,000
Arizona815,000
Kansas State748,000
So……..there are only 16 teams in the 2 conferences right now?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Kind of depends on whether NBC decides to throw a game on Peacock, or CBS on Paramount +, does it not?
Between CBS and the Fox weekly games for big ten. And then all the FS1 coverage fox coverage and ESPN 2 games - the big 12 will still be on tv. A lot. There are too many ranked teams in the league for it not to.

Now does Yormark need to be in "dawg mode" to get some more pac 12 teams so that gives us more leverage in the next go around? You bet. He needs to make some stuff happen in the next two years.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

TEAMVIEWERS
Oregon1.96 million
Stanford1.83 million
Washington1.73 million
Colorado1.49 million
Utah1.44 million
California1.27 million
TCU1.22 million
Baylor1.07 million
Iowa State1.04 million
Texas Tech866,000
Arizona815,000
Kansas State748,000
Just stop. These exclude PACN games. Most of these teams played their 4-6 worst games on PACN. As an example last year half of Cals games were on PACN. If those games had been like Big 12 and got 300k on ESPN 2 now Cal is at 775k. If you want a true comparison take the top 7-8 games for the Big 12 and see what happens.

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Viewership chart from The Athletic, July 25 by Stewart Mandel.

I note that there about a dozen sites with differing viewership numbers. Pick the one you want, none is probably accurate as some will exclude/include non-conference, or play off, or bowl numbers, And, who is to say the team/broadcaster estimated audience is accurate.

Perhaps the best way to measure support is game attendance plus t-shirt/jersey sales numbers.

Besides where would you like to play a December game, at Stanford, or at Minnesota.

Go Cyclones

Go Chiefs

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Will there be other power conferences?

Ask the G5 how that goes- they currently get $85 million COMBINED between 5 conferences.

A new CFP structure is getting worked on. If PAC, Big 12, and ACC don't like it, they can try to "outvote" the P2, but the P2 could just start their own, and avoid legal issues by inviting the others as they see fit. as they do with NCAA tournament and G5 now. Those invites will be more numerous and profitable if not obstructing earlier.

If the P2 are 40 or 48 of the most valuable and powerful schools, the other former power conference MUST combine into a 3rd "other guy" conference, and work to get some type of treatment closer to P2 than G5.

I mean, this is driving realignment as much as individual school value. And why the former Utah AD is stuck in a different era in saying $5 million more in revenue isn't enough to kill a conference over. That is living in a different era. The only tenable path for those outside the P2 is working together and killing conferences, and if you get more per school in the TV rights contract for doing so, even better.
As I keep saying "Go Big or Go Home!" Merge the B12 and PAC and go after the P2 as we will be the first Mega Conference. With the new broadcast players there is enough money to go around.

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Well, there's your problem.
I recommend reading the article, as it discusses in depth the analysis that uses Neilson Ratings and other data from 2015 through 2019 (2020 & 21 are excluded due to Covid). It excludes all PAC network game data.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I recommend reading the article, as it discusses in depth the analysis that uses Neilson Ratings and other data from 2015 through 2019 (2020 & 21 are excluded due to Covid). It excludes all PAC network game data.
Here, read this

Reactions: Clonedogg

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Viewership chart from The Athletic, July 25 by Stewart Mandel.

I note that there about a dozen sites with differing viewership numbers. Pick the one you want, none is probably accurate as some will exclude/include non-conference, or play off, or bowl numbers, And, who is to say the team/broadcaster estimated audience is accurate.

Perhaps the best way to measure support is game attendance plus t-shirt/jersey sales numbers.

Besides where would you like to play a December game, at Stanford, or at Minnesota.

Go Cyclones

Go Chiefs

You used numbers Stewart cherry picked in favor of the PAC.

• Winner
Reactions: Clonedogg

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I posted this in the other thread, probably should of been here:

I wonder what stipulations were conceded by FOX when CBS and NBC spent 350m each for one game a week? Can they air other B1G games at the same time?

B1G will have 8 games a week, 7 on bye weeks, to broadcast. I would assume B1GNet will still have a week night game (1). FOX Big Noon (2). CBS (3). NBC (4). FS1 two Sat games (5 and 6). B1GN two Sat games (7 and 8).

FOX might still need content to fill afternoon and maybe primetime games, and FS1 1-3 more games each Sat. It really seems they are not interested in PAC, will they bid on Big12? or fill with G5 or non-CFB content?

If Big12 is last to eat and FOX still needs the content, I'll be bullish on the Big12's position.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Look at what games are excluded - those on PACN. They are mostly the worst 4-6 games for each team. The same level of game that is on ESPN2 or FS2 for the PAC gets like 200-300k, 400k max. Those are all thrown out in determining the “average” viewership while ISU-KU on FS2 or whatever gets counted toward their viewership.

There really isn’t anything complicated in all this. The viewership of the conferences looks comparable…as long as PAC gets to not include the worst 1/3 of their games.

There’s a reason the dollar rumors are what they are. The networks aren’t dumb and see that it takes one conference to throw out it’s worst games and get double the OTA/ESPN slots to be similar.

Big 12 is more valuable, and everything except dimwit Mandel’s spin points to it.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I posted this in the other thread, probably should of been here:

I wonder what stipulations were conceded by FOX when CBS and NBC spent 350m each for one game a week? Can they air other B1G games at the same time?

FOX might still need content to fill afternoon and maybe primetime games, and FS1 1-3 more games each Sat. It really seems they are not interested in PAC, will they bid on Big12? or fill with G5 or non-CFB content?
Based on what I've read, Fox will not carry B10 games opposite CBS at 2:30 CT and NBC at 7 CT so they presumably will have the late afternoon and early evening windows for the B12 (assuming they aren't doing the PAC). If CBS decides to pick up another GOTW, they will have 11 AM and early evening windows available.

The talk of the PAC possibly going all in with ESPN/ABC is ridiculous given that ABC's only available window is at 11 AM CT given they have the SEC at 2:30 and SEC or ACC at 7 PM. The PAC can't do 11 AM and even the B12 will likely not get exclusivity for 11 AM on ABC.

If the B12 and/or PAC don't get an exclusive weekly OTA window out of this process, it should be considered a failure.