ESPN the Mag's best sports history moment in Iowa...

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
"The Iowa State Cyclones derail Oklahoma State's 2011 BCS title chances, outgunning the Cowboys 37-31 in double overtime."

This was determined from a survey with 105,000 votes cast.

The runner-up with UNI's NCAA win over KU.

Apr 19, 2006
"The Iowa State Cyclones derail Oklahoma State's 2011 BCS title chances, outgunning the Cowboys 37-31 in double overtime."

Wow that has to hurt the tailfeathers over east.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

Was EIU even mentioned? What a slap in the face if Iowa State and UNI have the top spots for this. *Que the Hok fans claiming their win over Penn State should be ahead of ISU-OSU*

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hawk fans will say that their program expects greatness so nothing they've ever done is worth celebrating because they maintain continuous excellence or something stupid like that.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
"Best Sports Moment in Recent Memory"

This.

Iowa/PSU 2008, Orange Bowl 2009, among other things were not as big as ISU's victory over OSU in terms of recent history. They do not have the same importance for the program that ISU's does.

However, if you look at all time, 1985 UI/UM game would easily beat it. #1 vs #2 with last second field goal wins every time.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Have to agree with AmesHawk.

In the modern era the Michigan v Iowa game has to be right at the top. It was the pinnacle of the rebuild and had two heavyweights going at it.

I remember that as a turd of a game. The ISU v OSU game sure was more exciting, but #2 in my opinion

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This.

Iowa/PSU 2008, Orange Bowl 2009, among other things were not as big as ISU's victory over OSU in terms of recent history. They do not have the same importance for the program that ISU's does.

However, if you look at all time, 1985 UI/UM game would easily beat it. #1 vs #2 with last second field goal wins every time.

I'd like to see the initial ballot again, don't remember all the candidates — I assumed if it wasn't going to be ISU-OSU (which has advantage for being fresh in voters' minds) the iowa-u-m game would be near the top.

I recall a few wrestling choices. Average sports follower outside of ISU-Iowa fanbase probably wouldn't rank those too highly.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This.

I won't argue ISU has been involved in a bigger game than 1 vs 2 last second field goal in college football...

But after that ISU's two year period of steamrolling the entire Big 12, beating Kansas five times in a row and finishing with a #3 ranking easily outclasses anything in the state since. The 2000 ISU basketball team is the best football or basketball team in the state in the past several decades.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If this is recent sports history, then ISU-OSU deserves to be ranked #1.

If this was biggest ever sports history moment then I really have to wonder what the hell these people were thinking.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If this is recent sports history, then ISU-OSU deserves to be ranked #1.

If this was biggest ever sports history moment then I really have to wonder what the hell these people were thinking.

Because anyone outside of die hard Iowa fans remembers/cares about a football game played in 1985. I mean honestly, what could they have possibly been thinking?

It's a fan poll. Of course it's going to be the most recent. It's always going to be the most recent.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Because anyone outside of die hard Iowa fans remembers/cares about a football game played in 1985. I mean honestly, what could they have possibly been thinking?

It's a fan poll. Of course it's going to be the most recent. It's always going to be the most recent.

I don't think I said anything about Iowa did I? I'm not sure that OSU game was the best moment in ISU's history let alone the state of Iowa's

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Have to agree with AmesHawk.

In the modern era the Michigan v Iowa game has to be right at the top. It was the pinnacle of the rebuild and had two heavyweights going at it.

I remember that as a turd of a game. The ISU v OSU game sure was more exciting, but #2 in my opinion

If you just take it from the standpoint of the game itself I agree that ISU/OSU should be #2. If you look at the far reaching aspects of the victories, I think you have to go with ISU over OSU.

Hundred plus years of college football and it takes ISU beating OSU to get a playoff? That is history that won't be soon forgotten.

Reactions: cdnlngld

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Have to agree with AmesHawk.In the modern era the Michigan v Iowa game has to be right at the top. It was the pinnacle of the rebuild and had two heavyweights going at it.I remember that as a turd of a game. The ISU v OSU game sure was more exciting, but #2 in my opinion
If you just take it from the standpoint of the game itself I agree that ISU/OSU should be #2. If you look at the far reaching aspects of the victories, I think you have to go with ISU over OSU. Hundred plus years of college football and it takes ISU beating OSU to get a playoff? That is history that won't be soon forgotten.

Kick *** point on the playoff. Really some part of the playoff plan needs to be named the "Cyclone Rule".