ESPN's Why Your Team Will Not Be Going To The Final Four

IA_Cyclone70

Aug 13, 2016
Fort Worth, Texas
Myron Medcalf's article on why each team in this week's AP top 25 will not make a run to the Final Four.

24. Iowa State Cyclones
The Cyclones, winners of five in a row, look good at the right time, and they have a road win over potential No. 1 overall seed Kansas. But every-shot-is-a-good-shot Deonte Burton is always lingering, waiting to sabotage undersized-but-efficient Deonte Burton (14.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.5 BPG, 1.8 SPG, 39 percent on 3s in Big 12 play). Can they lead Iowa State to the Final Four?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18785200/why-your-team-not-going-final-four

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Myron Medcalf's article on why each team in this week's AP top 25 will not make a run to the Final Four.

24. Iowa State Cyclones
The Cyclones, winners of five in a row, look good at the right time, and they have a road win over potential No. 1 overall seed Kansas. But every-shot-is-a-good-shot Deonte Burton is always lingering, waiting to sabotage undersized-but-efficient Deonte Burton (14.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.5 BPG, 1.8 SPG, 39 percent on 3s in Big 12 play). Can they lead Iowa State to the Final Four?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18785200/why-your-team-not-going-final-four

Well....he's not wrong. If Burton can continue to play within the offense, this team will continue to improve even at these later stages of the season.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
It's like Prohm himself has said, we are pretty good when 3 of the big 4 have good nights. But when Deonte is on, that creates the best matchup problems for our opposition.

Would be nice to see all four crush it this last month.

I still think rebounding is our Achilles heel.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It's like Prohm himself has said, we are pretty good when 3 of the big 4 have good nights. But when Deonte is on, that creates the best matchup problems for our opposition.

You just can't coach "tall". :)

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I think the "3 out of 4" thing needs to be more like "Deonte and 2 of the other 3". The other 3 are not as bad when they're bad. Monte is never really bad and Thomas and Long a bit interchangeable.

But when Deonte is good, he's a matchup nightmare and our best player. When he's bad, he hurts the team badly.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You just can't coach "tall". :)

No kidding. Have you seen teams like Louisville, Florida State, UCLA, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting? Not to mention Gonzaga and Baylor. These teams have talent and length up the ying-yang. Only hope is teams like KU, who we are competitive with, still can garner a no. 1 seed. So, you never know. But also why I won't pick KU to go to the final four.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

It would be spectacular to see the basketball team play like they can for a complete game. I don't think anyone can beat them when everyone is on.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No kidding. Have you seen teams like Louisville, Florida State, UCLA, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting? Not to mention Gonzaga and Baylor. These teams have talent and length up the ying-yang. Only hope is teams like KU, who we are competitive with, still can garner a no. 1 seed. So, you never know. But also why I won't pick KU to go to the final four.
For me, it's watching Baylor reach up & pluck rebounds out of the damn sky. That 7-footer they have has such loooooooooooong arms, he can dunk without leaving the ground. He was standing next to DJ at one point and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the difference in heights (and then I remember that DJ is a full foot taller than me...).

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Good thing Bad Deontes minutes have been replaced by good Deonte and Buford (who is unstoppable). Bad Deonte hasn't been on the floor nearly as much lately.

Correct. Even the bad game at TT was just an off night, not due to taking bad shots. Most importantly, he continues to contribute in other ways even when his shot isn't falling. The team still has some upside as I think Deonte will continue to get more consistent. Then there's the almost daily improvement of Young. I would like to see some plays for him to pop out for a short jumper which he has shown he can hit pretty consistently. (Not sure there are stats for jump shots, but it would be interesting to see his shooting% on jumpers.)

Also, is Holden back fully from his concussion? Seemed like he was starting to make a contribution when that happened.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

We've shown though when we don't turn it over, it makes up for lack of rebounding. Its the only way we hung with and beat Baylor.

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014
Nice try Myron. "Every shot is a good shot" Deonte disappeared when he became a consistent part of the offense including regular touches on possessions. If anything, Deonte will be the reason ISU goes to the Final Four. The bigger the game the bigger Deonte plays - check out his numbers vs Gonzaga & KU. Now get!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We've shown though when we don't turn it over, it makes up for lack of rebounding. Its the only way we hung with and beat Baylor.

Do not forget we generate a lot of steals and turnovers from the other guy, too. Yes, we are awful at generating "extra possessions" through the offensive glass or preventing second-chance points from our opponents on the defensive glass. Yet, have a Monté Morris and his preternatural ability to not turn the ball over and Monté, Naz, DJ, and Deonte hawking for the ball on the perimeter and looking to go fast the other way goes a long way to make up for that.

Haaland had us as a net zero "extra possessions" team, relative to our competition, in Big 12 play when you account for the perimeter action, as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron