Ever cheat on a final?

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I had to a programming class and had one of my friends write all the programs for me. The class was extremely hard for an entry level course. Our first assignment was to write "Hello World". If you are/were a programming student you might know what I am talking about. Anyways our second assignment was to write the windows calculator. The expanded version with sqrt and such. That was the first one I had him write.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Sounds like someone has a problem with us dorks! :skeptical: Yes, I'm a dork, I admit it, deal with it. I'm so dorky I took a final in a grad class, 4th exam when only the top three scores counted, the professor told me I didn't need to take it, and the best I could do was increase my overall points in the class by a single point. Just because I wanted to see how well I knew the material, and, being the complete dork I am, it wouldn't have seemed like I finished the course unless I took the exam.

Just to show you I'm not a complete stick in the mud, let's just say that several of my high school classmates would not have graduated (or remained eligible for extra-curriculars) had I sat anywhere other than the middle of the room. It's fair to say I took absolutely no precautions to cover my answers. They reciprocated - I seldom paid for liquid refreshments - legal or otherwise. :smile:

hahaha your the guy that showed up to the party by himself with a box of wine.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Depending on how you define cheating, I'll bet over half the students at Iowa State do in some capacity.

I'm straight and simple on it. Study for the test, take in nothing but your pens (and blank blue books, if appropriate), and take your test. Unauthorized notes, looking off the neighbor, whatever, I'd call cheating.

Whether your bet is right or not, that's pretty weak of over half the students, then.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm straight and simple on it. Study for the test, take in nothing but your pens (and blank blue books, if appropriate), and take your test. Unauthorized notes, looking off the neighbor, whatever, I'd call cheating.

Whether your bet is right or not, that's pretty weak of over half the students, then.

As I said, it depends. I've had classes where even asking another student for help was cheating. I'd LOVE to see that one enforced. The only person who was allowed to answer questions was the professor, and failure to visit her during her office hours with said question was unacceptable. Well, when she had office hours from 11:00-11:50 on MWF, those don't work for 90% of people because they're in class. She would not answer questions via e-mail nor telephone. Unfortunately, she can't be relieved of her duties due to tenure. :sad:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
As I said, it depends. I've had classes where even asking another student for help was cheating. I'd LOVE to see that one enforced. The only person who was allowed to answer questions was the professor, and failure to visit her during her office hours with said question was unacceptable. Well, when she had office hours from 11:00-11:50 on MWF, those don't work for 90% of people because they're in class. She would not answer questions via e-mail nor telephone. Unfortunately, she can't be relieved of her duties due to tenure. :sad:

That would be a weak performance on the teacher's part.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Academic Regulations: Academic Dishonesty: Iowa State University Catalog 2009-2011

If caught cheating, you more than likely (depending on the severity of the incident) would get a:

a) Disciplinary Reprimand: An official written notice to the student that his/her conduct is in violation of university rules and regulations.
b) Conduct Probation: A more severe sanction than a disciplinary reprimand, to include a period of review and observation during which the student must demonstrate the ability to comply with university rules, regulations, and other requirements stipulated for the probation period.

sk22

Nov 29, 2007
Des Moines
Nope, never have.

Have a good story though. I was in Risk Management with Dr. Power. During one of his exams which was in a typical Gerdin classroom there was a kid in the back row with a cheat sheet below the table on their thigh. He quietly walked around to the back of the room and in one quick motion raised his hand into the air, slammed it down on the test, crumpled it, and said "get out, you're done!" Everyone in the class probably jumped a foot out of their chair when his hand hit the table. It was awesome.

That scared the hell out of me. The kid then had to apologize to the whole class and sit in the front the rest of the semester.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The biggest cheating I've ever done wasn't on an actual exam, but for Phys 221 my roommate had taken it the previous semester and saved all the pdfs of the problem solutions for the weekly WebCT problems. For those of you who didn't have the pleasure, the WebCT problems were a massive amount of homework each week. I didn't feel too guilty about it since there were no actual duplicates of problems, but I could always find one that was very similar to show me how I should be working it. I actually still learned the material well this way, because I still did fairly well on my exams, and didn't have to put in such brutal study hours for that class.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron