Ever score on an insurance company?

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
With all the destruction from the storms lately we hear of all the disappointment when working with insurance companies but have you ever felt like you came out on top? My best was reshingling my home and another unattached garage after a hail claim. A buddy and I shingled as a side gig for years so I had all the tools (nail guns, compressor, toe holds ladders etc.) so I decided to tackle it myself as it was fall and he was busy harvesting. At age 65 it took some time to tear off 40 square from my cape cod with 10/12 pitch roof and tote 120 bundles up the ladder. I at times questioned my own sanity and my wife wanted me to hire someone to finish when I was only halfway done., but my pride wouldn't allow that to happen. End result I got a new roof done to my exacting standards and pocketed $17,000 dollars--the difference between the insurance check and the cost of materials. We bought some toys!

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Nothing to do with insurance, but my son and I resided my house ourselves. It was a lot of work crammed into 10 days, but based on estimates I had gotten earlier, we saved around $25,000.

Reactions: NWICY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Not insurance, but I bought a steel building and we put it up ourselves and cleared enough to pay for a 6000 pound construction lift and had $10k left over compared to having a contractor do it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't say that I scored off of this, but I was appreciative of my insurance company. In 2022, a semi totaled by 2015 car. I was a bit worried about the settlement since I had less than 80,000 miles on the car. I also wasn't sure if it was best to try and go through the semi's insurance company first or mine. I got 17,000 back for the car, which seemed very fair. And getting my ER and ambulance ride paid for was pretty seamless. I had most of my money before the semi's insurance even called me back. My only regret is I probably could have gotten a little money for the day and a half I had to take off of work from the semi's insurance. But I gained appreciation for those that have to deal with that stuff after an injury or have to deal with a really tough insurance company. Because even though the whole thing was pretty simple for me, it still took a lot of time.

Reactions: khardbored

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
25 years or so ago, our aluminum livestock trailer got picked up by a storm and thrown into a hog yard on its top. The insurance claim agent offered to total it out for some reason, but my father declined. The repairs were like $800 and I still use it.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Enough of the "my wife bought the ingredients and baked a cake for $4.37 and the store -bought one was $6.00". I want to hear about besting the man! :D:D:D

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Got $12k when my car was totaled in college. Found basically an identical car 2 years newer and like 20k less miles for $8k. So thank you to the ISU employee who ran a red in a university truck and t boned me at the University and Jack Trice intersection. Paid for most of my semesters tuition

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I wouldn't say that I scored off of this, but I was appreciative of my insurance company. In 2022, a semi totaled by 2015 car. I was a bit worried about the settlement since I had less than 80,000 miles on the car. I also wasn't sure if it was best to try and go through the semi's insurance company first or mine. I got 17,000 back for the car, which seemed very fair. And getting my ER and ambulance ride paid for was pretty seamless. I had most of my money before the semi's insurance even called me back. My only regret is I probably could have gotten a little money for the day and a half I had to take off of work from the semi's insurance. But I gained appreciation for those that have to deal with that stuff after an injury or have to deal with a really tough insurance company. Because even though the whole thing was pretty simple for me, it still took a lot of time.
Should have sued the trucking company …they would have probably cut you a decent check.

Reactions: wxman1

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Should have sued the trucking company …they would have probably cut you a decent check.

Yeah, I thought of that quite a bit later. But it's probably bad karma, right?!?! I wasn't hurt at all---the ambulance ride was strictly on the recommendation of the nurse that stopped and helped me get out of the car. At the ER, they told me I'd be very sore the next few days but I was fine and only took one of the muscle relaxers they gave me. (There was a car that hit me at the end of the accident---the semi sent me through 3 lanes of traffic and spinning and a car hit my drivers door at the end of it all. That driver had just gotten a new car 6 days before and he called me the next day because he also was having trouble getting a hold of the semi's insurance. He was sore and asked how I was. I didn't think it was the time to say that I felt great. I'm guessing he doesn't look back at the whole thing thinking how lucky he was.)

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah, I thought of that quite a bit later. But it's probably bad karma, right?!?! I wasn't hurt at all---the ambulance ride was strictly on the recommendation of the nurse that stopped and helped me get out of the car. At the ER, they told me I'd be very sore the next few days but I was fine and only took one of the muscle relaxers they gave me. (There was a car that hit me at the end of the accident---the semi sent me through 3 lanes of traffic and spinning and a car hit my drivers door at the end of it all. That driver had just gotten a new car 6 days before and he called me the next day because he also was having trouble getting a hold of the semi's insurance. He was sore and asked how I was. I didn't think it was the time to say that I felt great. I'm guessing he doesn't look back at the whole thing thinking how lucky he was.)
I have heard drunk drivers will often not be as injured in accidents as they should be due to their muted reflexes. :)

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Have any left? Asking for a friend

• Haha
Reactions: BigCyFan

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
With all the destruction from the storms lately we hear of all the disappointment when working with insurance companies but have you ever felt like you came out on top? My best was reshingling my home and another unattached garage after a hail claim. A buddy and I shingled as a side gig for years so I had all the tools (nail guns, compressor, toe holds ladders etc.) so I decided to tackle it myself as it was fall and he was busy harvesting. At age 65 it took some time to tear off 40 square from my cape cod with 10/12 pitch roof and tote 120 bundles up the ladder. I at times questioned my own sanity and my wife wanted me to hire someone to finish when I was only halfway done., but my pride wouldn't allow that to happen. End result I got a new roof done to my exacting standards and pocketed $17,000 dollars--the difference between the insurance check and the cost of materials. We bought some toys!
you mean like a hit-and-run and never got caught?

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
If you "come out ahead" against an insurance company it's usually a hollow victory. At least in my case it was.

My wife started a new job and signed up for an aflak indemnity policy. Paid maybe $30 into that policy then was able to cash in on it for $10k. The downside? It was because she had cancer.

House always wins (big time) with insurance. Gotta pay for all of those commercials somehow (so that the balance sheet meets the criteria for not-for-profit).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron