Ever score on an insurance company?

FancyRex

Jan 19, 2023
Comparatively that's fantastic insurance. My wife works for Mayo Clinic which is known as one of the best health care facilities in the world and our insurance is much worse than that (family of 4).
If you don't mind my asking. Which Mayo site?

I live in Phoenix and service the Phoenix one from time to time for my company.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
$1300 per month is appx the ENTIRE cost for BC/BS PPO monthly premiums, for two 40yo and a kid. Are you sure the employer was paying any of that?

We have about 20 people and we pickup 80% for the PPO plan, so the monthly for our employees is like $250.

Not BC/BS. I work for an out of state company. Yeah it sucked!!

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Glad you can afford to lose $300k overnight if your house burns down, and you can rebuild from petty cash and its no impact to your finances. I thought i was doing well, but must be a pauper.

Some insurances are indeed, "not good value", but to absolute it like that... well that is just dumb.
Once the insurance weasels its way out of paying you, you'll wish you had a little more petty cash on hand to cover that loss. Like maybe all that money you blew on premiums

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And when the insurance company finds a way to weasel out of paying up, I'll be here to remind you I told you so

Once the insurance weasels its way out of paying you, you'll wish you had a little more petty cash on hand to cover that loss. Like maybe all that money you blew on premiums

So since this has never happened to me I guess I'll stick with paying not even that much for car insurance.

But please, feel free to think you have the one size fits all life advice.

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
25 years or so ago, our aluminum livestock trailer got picked up by a storm and thrown into a hog yard on its top. The insurance claim agent offered to total it out for some reason, but my father declined. The repairs were like $800 and I still use it.
Should have let them total it and then bought it back. I had a small chevy S-10 years ago. Bought it new at a ridiculous low price because it was a previous year model that didn't sell (who wants an S-10 right?). Then got hit by another driver. Insurance paid me about $2k more than I bought it for, bought it back from them for pennies, spent about $4k fixing it up and then traded in for a new full-size truck. Basically, got a full size new 4W drive truck for what I paid for it initially. No fraud just kept asking questions. I've owned a dozen trucks since then and this was the best buy I ever made.

Reactions: khardbored

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
This is further evidence you don’t know how math works. Surprised this account is still active ….

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
And when the insurance company finds a way to weasel out of paying up, I'll be here to remind you I told you so

Can you show us on this doll where the insurance company touched you?

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Son had accident in 2007 driving a 1997 F150. Car was towed to an Ames shop. Snowstorm happened the next day. Adjuster didn’t want to dig to look under the truck for damages. Offered a great settlement with me keeping the vehicle. I had a local shop pick it up and work on it. Simple repairs. Found out the adjuster thought it was four wheel drive. Profit was 4 times the repairs and truck driven for eight more years

Reactions: nrg4isu and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't recall if insurance ever was involved but one year a snow plow slid down a hill and totaled the front of my Ford Explorer.

I had been trying to get rid of it for a while and long story short the city of Cedar Rapids paid for the towing, and gave me a check that covered the cost of a used Corolla that I got a few years out of at least.

I'd lean toward insurance not being involved and CR just wanting to take care of it before I took any additional steps.

Reactions: NWICY

Mar 21, 2021
I dont know but **** insurance companies and the horses they road in on.

I just got my renewal for this year. 40% increase with no claims since last renewal.
I've found that they'll offer a competitive rate to get your biz, then generally steadily jack your rates up, even though you file no claims. 40% annuallized not unusual. I don't really blame them - if clients don't shop/leave, I'd blame the clients.

As such, I switch insurers every 2-3 years. Back and forth between GEICO and AllState last 20 years. Just switched to AAA this week, through an independent agent here in MN. They came in at ~50% less than anyone else. Took an online defensive driver course to save. I'm paying in the $600s/year for auto.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

How much are you thinking people spend on house insurance? I pay about 1200/year. My one claim, from the derecho, would have taken me 20 years of premiums to cover it.

I think you are overestimating how much insurance costs or underestimating how much things cost to repair.