Every bridge, every small waterway?

Signs for creeks: yes or no

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Is there some larger purpose to having signs identifying creeks and streams on bridges? I noticed they put up a sign on the new Beaver Ave interstate bridge that says “Beaver Creek” but the sign is before the interstate when coming from the south.

I feel like Missouri always has signs for their creeks but this is a newer thing in Iowa. I guess I just don’t see the purpose.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm guessing it has something to do with the government controlling the waterways. If they don't mark them, then there may be a misunderstanding of ownership.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Is there some larger purpose to having signs identifying creeks and streams on bridges? I noticed they put up a sign on the new Beaver Ave interstate bridge that says “Beaver Creek” but the sign is before the interstate when coming from the south.

I feel like Missouri always has signs for their creeks but this is a newer thing in Iowa. I guess I just don’t see the purpose.

Yes. As it happens, Beaver Creek flows through my grandparents' farmstead in Boone County (a mile from the town Beaver). It's very cool to be reminded when crossing that bridge that I could literally get on a tube and ride all the way from the farm down to the golf course there -- except of course for all the barbed cattle wire that would shred me along the way.

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Has anybody else noticed the Ditch Number signs going up now too?

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
14184303_10103513393403420_5216461491064057164_n.jpg

I enjoyed seeing this one in Colorado :)

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This is definitely an Iowa/Midwest thing, but it's not new. I distinctly remember them growing up. Once I started traveling a lot I found it odd not seeing them elsewhere. That and the signs telling you mileage to different towns. In other states you might get a pointer, but certainly no mileage.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
I've noticed the new ditch signs as well.Ditch 206 on the north side of HWY 20 between I-35 and Fort Dodge is finally getting the recognition that's been long over due!

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
A waste of time and money

That's my feeling too. Although the cost is probably relatively low it is still unneeded IMO. If you are that interested in where a creek goes look it up on Google Maps like I did yesterday for Dry Creek (semi ironic as parts of it are usually nearly dry while others are not) in NE CR.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
A waste of time and money

This is probably true also, but you know what's really a waste? In Texas EVERY single bridge has a sign that says it gets slick when it freezes. Wonder who got the contract to make/install those signs? It's Texas, how often does it freeze?

Wow...thought I should check myself before posting this. It's written in law and there is actually a schedule of when it should be displayed, though I don't think anyone is really removing them as scheduled.

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/sfb/watch_for_ice_on_bridge_sign.htm

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
My view is that it promotes interest and citizen investment in water quality and conservation. Sure, the signs cost money, but without clean water, what's the point anyway?

For example, are you more likely to care about an unlabeled creek that you cross, or one that is named?

We're having citizen meetings across the state here in Minnesota to increase engagement and come up with ways to monitor/improve water quality across the state. I'll get flamed for this, but the buffer law is NEEDED to improve our lakes, rivers, and streams. If you are responsible for nutrient-based runoff, you are also responsible for making sure as little as possible leaves your stead. It shouldn't be the problem of the people downstream.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My view is that it promotes interest and citizen investment in water quality and conservation. Sure, the signs cost money, but without clean water, what's the point anyway?

For example, are you more likely to care about an unlabeled creek that you cross, or one that is named?

We're having citizen meetings across the state here in Minnesota to increase engagement and come up with ways to monitor/improve water quality across the state. I'll get flamed for this, but the buffer law is NEEDED to improve our lakes, rivers, and streams. If you are responsible for nutrient-based runoff, you are also responsible for making sure as little as possible leaves your stead. It shouldn't be the problem of the people downstream.

So let me follow the logic here.

No sign----there's a stream, but I don't care about water quality

With sign----there's a stream, and it has a name, so I now care about water quality

• Creative
Reactions: Bewilderme

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So let me follow the logic here.

No sign----there's a stream, but I don't care about water quality

With sign----there's a stream, and it has a name, so I now care about water quality

Maybe not you, if you're being disingenuous about it. But they're trying something, which is better than what anyone in the legislature is doing. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't. But generally speaking, raising people's awareness of something makes them more likely to buy it or become invested in its outcome. So yes, that's exactly the logic.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It took me, a born and bred city boy, a long time to realize that when people talked about ditches they were really meaning creeks and not the lowered area off the side of a road.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
It took me, a born and bred city boy, a long time to realize that when people talked about ditches they were really meaning creeks and not the lowered area off the side of a road.

I've literally never heard an Iowan call a creek a ditch until today. Maybe it's a regional thing in the state? I have seen it labeled that way in Indiana.