Urbandale
We ask for the national spotlight, this is what happens:

A&M -'00 Huge loss at home on ABC
OU - '02 Huge loss on the road on ABC
Mizzou - '04
KU - '05
Utah - '10
Texas - '11

We can never establish any legitimacy as a program, because we lay eggs on the biggest stage. We can't complain about ISU being slighted when they do this to themselves over and over again. Such a perfect setting - crowd that was ready and what are they treated to???? A bunch of turnovers and really inexcusable penalties and what not. Beyond frustrated right now. 30 years of following ISU is enough to turn anyone into a natural born pessimist.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
We ask for the national spotlight, this is what happens:

A&M -'00 Huge loss at home on ABC
OU - '02 Huge loss on the road on ABC
Mizzou - '04
KU - '05
Utah - '10
Texas - '11

We can never establish any legitimacy as a program, because we lay eggs on the biggest stage. We can't complain about ISU being slighted when they do this to themselves over and over again. Such a perfect setting - crowd that was ready and what are they treated to???? A bunch of turnovers and really inexcusable penalties and what not. Beyond frustrated right now. 30 years of following ISU is enough to turn anyone into a natural born pessimist.

Its quite alright for me, I've become accustomed to such a thing because of the pro sports teams I follow. Nothing new to me...

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
See my list, I am right there with you.

At least the Celtics and Red Sox have been good the past decade.

But back to ISU laying eggs everytime it is there tun to step up... we're getting closer as a team, we're there as a fan base, but definitely closer as a team.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Utah last year was a big national spotlight? The game was on FCS. And they showed up for NU pretty good last year. By definition ISU is only in the national spotlight when they are playing a tough opponent so the record isn't going to be good, but they do show up occasionally.

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Utah last year was a big national spotlight? The game was on FCS. And we showed up for NU pretty good last year.

Utah was right after beating Texas last year I believe, we had the chance to prove we weren't a fluke.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Tonight was our night to get the college football world's attention. To take the next step. To crack the Top 25. Instead, we took a step back. Very disappointing to see the team look so unprepared and undisciplined. On top of that, all the injuries could make for a long rest of the season.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Utah last year was a big national spotlight? The game was on FCS. And we showed up for NU pretty good last year.

This program has had so many opportunities to gain credibility over the years. Do you ever wonder why ISU is always talked about as being left out in the realignment mess? It is because of debacles like this. This game was hyped for 2 weeks. The fan base was primed and ready ----- and ----- another disastrous blowout loss.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
30 years of following ISU is enough to turn anyone into a natural born pessimist.

36-years for me. You're forgetting:

- Ok State, 1976
- Iowa '77
- NC State, Peach Bowl '77
- TX A&M '78. Bluebonnet Bowl '78
- OU '81

Etc, etc, etc.

We're Iowa State and we're always gonna be one of the bottom 15 Div 1 programs in history of college football. And the way "money ball" is being played in Div 1 that's why we're gonna stay that way. But I still love my 'Clones; but I feel like Charlie Brown after all these years.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

- Ok State, 1976
- Iowa '77
- OU '81

Etc, etc, etc.

We're Iowa State and we're always gonna be one of the bottom 15 Div 1 programs in history of college football. And the way "money ball" is being played in Div 1 that's why we're gonna stay that way. But I still love my 'Clones; but I feel like Charlie Brown after all these years.
One day we'll get over the hump.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

- Ok State, 1976
- Iowa '77
- OU '81

Etc, etc, etc.

I'm with ya. Maybe I've just always been a moron who believed someday just once ISU would be able to legitimately compete instead of being a bottom feeder. You'd think after 30 years I would have learned my lesson. Just to add to the pain, we both left out the loss to Alabama in the Independence Bowl after outplaying them all night long.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This was my first thought tonight. Another embarrassing blowout in the national spotlight.
To be honest though this really wasn't a game in the national spotlight. This was an evening game on FX when the rest of the nation was watching the ABC game with Wisconsin and Nebraska. Also, what happened with our game is what pretty much everyone across the nation thought would happen (even though it shouldn't have happened that way).

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I was thinking about this exact same thing. How many times over the years have we been in a position to get a program changing win only to blow up in spectacular fashion. We have to find a way to win a few of these if we are ever going to be taken seriously. There is no excuse for us to flop as bad as we did tonight.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
This program has had so many opportunities to gain credibility over the years. Do you ever wonder why ISU is always talked about as being left out in the realignment mess? It is because of debacles like this. This game was hyped for 2 weeks. The fan base was primed and ready ----- and ----- another disastrous blowout loss.

ISU also needs to win more mid and low tier games so they get more opportunities to be on the big stage. National profile games are tough to win for any program.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I was thinking about this exact same thing. How many times over the years have we been in a position to get a program changing win only to blow up in spectacular fashion. We have to find a way to win a few of these if we are ever going to be taken seriously. There is no excuse for us to flop as bad as we did tonight.

These are the types of games that can start to change the perception of a program. All this did tonight was reinforce the image of ISU as a hopeless also-ran.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
ISU also needs to win more mid and low tier games so they get more opportunities to be on the big stage. National profile games are tough to win for any program.

The stage was set tonight. 2 weeks to prepare. Perfect weather. Sold out stadium. And,,,, 3 turnovers in the first quarter. 34-0 at half. Inexcusable penalties.... And this same thing has happened repeatedly over the years. It would have been one thing to have played a good game and to have lost --- at least ISU would have competed. Not the case tonight and unfortunately, not the case in most instances when ISU finally has a chance to change its football image. Games like this are a golden opportunity to grow a program, instead just another miserable memory for a bunch of fans.