Evidence of life found in the atmosphere of Venus

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
This thread (and some of the threads linked in it) are good resources.

I'm not getting super excited yet as phosphine is some nasty stuff (at least for us). There's a ton more work we need to do, but that's pretty standard for science. Open a door, and now you have a bunch of new potential doors to open.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You can laugh a lot at the science in Star Trek, but one episode of the original series ("The Devil in the Dark") addressed a serious thought. We always assume that life is carbon based. But in radically different environments it is possible that life finds an entirely different route. When looking for life we may need to be careful that we are looking/thinking outside the box as well.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You can laugh a lot at the science in Star Trek, but one episode of the original series ("The Devil in the Dark") addressed a serious thought. We always assume that life is carbon based. But in radically different environments it is possible that life finds an entirely different route. When looking for life we may need to be careful that we are looking/thinking outside the box as well.
Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Reactions: Candide

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

This is the thing about "is there life out there?" that has always left me wondering. I'm not even sure we understand the question. We don't know anything, there could be countless other types of "life" out there that we simply have no idea exists or have even dreamed of. It's a big place out there.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
screen-shot-2017-09-18-at-1-58-04-pm.png

Reactions: aauummm

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
This is the thing about "is there life out there?" that has always left me wondering. I'm not even sure we understand the question. We don't know anything, there could be countless other types of "life" out there that we simply have no idea exists or have even dreamed of. It's a big place out there.
I concur. There are more than a couple of places we haven’t looked.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Covid, derecho, hurricanes, fires, a meteor coming early November, and now an alien invasion.

What else ya got?

Help Support Us

Become a patron