F*CK IOWA

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Hiesman trophy winner and war hero??? I think u are misinterpreting what they think of him.
Heisman trophy winner I will agree with, in fact he was the first one to pass after winning the award. But not sure I would call him a war hero. Yes, he died in the war, but it was in a training accident, it's not like the guy was Audie Murphy here. Thanking him for serving is one thing, but that does not make him a hero just for getting killed.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Heisman trophy winner I will agree with, in fact he was the first one to pass after winning the award. But not sure I would call him a war hero. Yes, he died in the war, but it was in a training accident, it's not like the guy was Audie Murphy here. Thanking him for serving is one thing, but that does not make him a hero just for getting killed.
I personally didn't say he was a war hero, but I am saying that most Iowa fans believe that.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I personally didn't say he was a war hero, but I am saying that most Iowa fans believe that.
Like a lot of things with Kinnick EIU fans have spent the past 80 enriching what the man did. You used to hear things like he was destined for greatness, could have been president and saved a ship loaded with soldiers. The truth is the guy was on a training flight, developed oil pressure problems and was told to return to base. He crashed on the way back, and according to the reports they were surprised that he was killed in the crash, and his plane and body was never recovered. Horrible accident, but does not make him a war hero no matter what fans like Gonzo thinks.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Like a lot of things with Kinnick EIU fans have spent the past 80 enriching what the man did. You used to hear things like he was destined for greatness, could have been president and saved a ship loaded with soldiers. The truth is the guy was on a training flight, developed oil pressure problems and was told to return to base. He crashed on the way back, and according to the reports they were surprised that he was killed in the crash, and his plane and body was never recovered. Horrible accident, but does not make him a war hero no matter what fans like Gonzo thinks.
He actually conducted a water landing that his fellow pilots said was flawless.

"Pilot and bunkmate Bill Reiter was flying alongside Kinnick when he first spotted the oil pouring from his friend’s plane, according to a letter Reiter later sent Kinnick’s parents. Reiter radioed Kinnick to alert him of the problem, but little could be done. Reiter watched as Kinnick, calm and efficient, performed what he described as “a perfect wheels-up landing in the water.” From overhead, Reiter believed he saw Kinnick in the water and clear of the plane, though Kinnick didn’t signal. Reiter raced to the approaching rescue boat and guided it back to the crash site, but all that remained when crews arrived were paint chips and a gasoline slick, according to various letters."

Regardless, the guy had every opportunity to avoid serving and opt for something cushier, but chose to serve.

I'd argue that anyone who's given their life in military service to their country deserves to be called a hero. You don't, so be it. Would love to hear what your criteria is.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
He actually conducted a water landing that his fellow pilots said was flawless.

"Pilot and bunkmate Bill Reiter was flying alongside Kinnick when he first spotted the oil pouring from his friend’s plane, according to a letter Reiter later sent Kinnick’s parents. Reiter radioed Kinnick to alert him of the problem, but little could be done. Reiter watched as Kinnick, calm and efficient, performed what he described as “a perfect wheels-up landing in the water.” From overhead, Reiter believed he saw Kinnick in the water and clear of the plane, though Kinnick didn’t signal. Reiter raced to the approaching rescue boat and guided it back to the crash site, but all that remained when crews arrived were paint chips and a gasoline slick, according to various letters."

Regardless, the guy had every opportunity to avoid serving and opt for something cushier, but chose to serve.

I'd argue that anyone who's given their life in military service to their country deserves to be called a hero. You don't, so be it. Would love to hear what your criteria is.
Couple of points, if it was a perfect landing in the water, he would have been alive and in the water, which he was not. The other pilot said he saw him in the water but not waving, so he was not knocked out when he landed, he would have had a life vest on so he should have been floating in the water. We will never know what happened for sure, I would guess he was either killed during the crash or knocked out, never got out of the plane and went down with it.

This was WW2, everyone served, I am not taking away anything from the man for serving, but I really do not consider him a hero either. That term should be used for those that actually fought and did great things to save the lives of his fellow soldiers. We overuse the term HERO today; in my opinion it takes away from those that were truly hero's in the war.

Just saying he served and died during that service should be enough, but the EIU fan base have to take it further, which I do not agree with, it's just my opinion and does not matter, but to me, he was not a hero.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My father volunteered in WW II because he knew he would be drafted and thought he had more control over what unit he went to by signing up.

His younger brother was drafted and died of meningitis 19 days after he was assigned to a naval base for training.

I don’t think there is some big distinction between draft and volunteer for WW II.

Reactions: RezClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Couple of points, if it was a perfect landing in the water, he would have been alive and in the water, which he was not. The other pilot said he saw him in the water but not waving, so he was not knocked out when he landed, he would have had a life vest on so he should have been floating in the water. We will never know what happened for sure, I would guess he was either killed during the crash or knocked out, never got out of the plane and went down with it.

This was WW2, everyone served, I am not taking away anything from the man for serving, but I really do not consider him a hero either. That term should be used for those that actually fought and did great things to save the lives of his fellow soldiers. We overuse the term HERO today; in my opinion it takes away from those that were truly hero's in the war.

Just saying he served and died during that service should be enough, but the EIU fan base have to take it further, which I do not agree with, it's just my opinion and does not matter, but to me, he was not a hero.
No offense, but I'll take the word of one of his fellow pilots who was there and saw it happen. He could have played it safe and remained stateside during the war playing for the Navy wartime football team, but he chose to serve active duty. That decision alone makes him a hero in my book.

Again, difference of opinion. I lost an uncle in Vietnam. He was by no means Rambo or carrying guys out of battles saving lives, but he went, served, and died. I never knew him but he's always been a hero to me. To you he's someone who "just got killed."

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
And they have like 100 herky statues all over town and on about every damn corner. The Homer Simpson one is bad. Bo James had 32oz Busch Lights on Saturday for $5. Pretty good deal on that.

1715630752802.png

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No offense, but I'll take the word of one of his fellow pilots who was there and saw it happen. He could have played it safe and remained stateside during the war playing for the Navy wartime football team, but he chose to serve active duty. That decision alone makes him a hero in my book.

Again, difference of opinion. I lost an uncle in Vietnam. He was by no means Rambo or carrying guys out of battles saving lives, but he went, served, and died. I never knew him but he's always been a hero to me. To you he's someone who "just got killed."
He chose to learn to fly and was killed, people like Jimmy Stewart and many other famous people felt the need to not only serve but be in combat, they could have chosen not to but didn't.

My point is today we overuse the term hero, whether they actually did anything or not, other than served. During WW2 basically everyone in that age group served, many volunteered to do so, they are to be admired for their service, but I would not call them hero's for being part of the war. If you want to, have at it, but I think we overuse the term.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Hiesman trophy winner and war hero??? I think u are misinterpreting what they think of him.
They were referring to his father going to ISU as if that's somehow a sick burn on kids named Kinnick. Nobody gives a **** about where Kinnick Sr. went to school.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
They were referring to his father going to ISU as if that's somehow a sick burn on kids named Kinnick. Nobody gives a **** about where Kinnick Sr. went to school.
The two times I encountered this situation, the parents were shocked and startled of the ISU connection. You are correct, to a point, nobody cares about where he went to school until they find out it was Iowa State.

Reactions: carvers4math