F1 2024 Discussion

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Interesting FP2 for sure. Merc looked good on the fast laps and Red Bull surprising didn't. Seemed like some thought was that Red Bull and Ferrari hadn't quite turned up engine modes and gone full qualifying sim.

I was watching lap times during long runs on softs over the last 5 or so laps of those stints and man it sure seems like Red Bull race pace is going to be ominus again. Max was putting in 1.36.7-1.37.0 consistently with Merc/Ferrari pretty much matching each other about 1.37.2 - 1.37.5. Sure seems like Max is going to have at least several tenths of race pace cushion over the field still. Might be close enough for that chasing group to match Checo though if he's still going to be ~3 tenths slower than Max like last year.

Reactions: Bigman38

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Qualifying should be fun tomorrow with as little as you can tell by practice
Agree. So many teams treated P1 as just another testing session. Many with testing instruments on the car.
And with Bahrain, tires fall apart pretty quickly. Even qualifying may not relate to race pace. Thinking HAAS like stuff from last year where ever other week it seemed like they would qualify ok but then just eat their tires. This track is brutal on tires.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Agree. So many teams treated P1 as just another testing session. Many with testing instruments on the car.
And with Bahrain, tires fall apart pretty quickly. Even qualifying may not relate to race pace. Thinking HAAS like stuff from last year where ever other week it seemed like they would qualify ok but then just eat their tires. This track is brutal on tires.

Yeah that's exactly what Haas did, treated it like another testing, heavy fuel runs. From what i've seen from Niko and Kevin, the car is at least a little better than last year. Hopefully doesn't eat tires as much.

Loved Guenther, but Ayao may be better from a technical direction. i just am tired of being dead last man...

Reactions: ISUKyro

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Yeah that's exactly what Haas did, treated it like another testing, heavy fuel runs. From what i've seen from Niko and Kevin, the car is at least a little better than last year. Hopefully doesn't eat tires as much.

Loved Guenther, but Ayao may be better from a technical direction. i just am tired of being dead last man...

I think they’ll probably be pretty bad to start but hopefully Ayao being in charge makes them better at developing over the season. Watching drive to survive reminded me just how far they fell off compared to the field last year.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I think they’ll probably be pretty bad to start but hopefully Ayao being in charge makes them better at developing over the season. Watching drive to survive reminded me just how far they fell off compared to the field last year.

They need to go back to the business model they had when they first got into F1... just a carbon copy of Ferrari.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Aston Martin looking good, Alpine looking horrendous, pretty mid performance from Mercedes.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ferrari, Red Bull, Aston Martin and Mclaren all look really promising so far, hopefully a good battle for second place this year. Not sure what to think about Mercedes.