FAA issues airworthiness certification to Alef flying car.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For all the emphasis on fuel efficiency of vehicles, a flying car seems to be a step back. Having to fight the constant force of gravity would be a significant waste of energy.

Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Seems to me like having both car and plane in one is NOT that great. Why drive if you can fly? If you can fly, why carry along all the driving structure weight? Range maybe?

But sign me up for the Jetson One, as soon as it is 20% bigger for my fat American a$$ and maybe an hour of run time. But for <$100k right now it's a hell of a recreational vehicle!

Will be interesting to see how this market develops. I DO think it is going to be limited somewhat by having to have a special license. Even if some of the vehicles don't require a pilots license, you are going to need some kind of special training - similar to a motorcycle license. Just basic things like avoiding trees, power lines, et al.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Regulatory speaking...this is decades from being in production and approved if ever. There have been many attempts at this in the past and one of the biggest hurdles has seemed to have been the marrying of DOT vehicle regulations regarding crash protection etc. and FAA regulations of aircraft performance and complexity.

It is easy to design and build a prototype.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The problem with flying cars is when they fail, they don't just coast to the shoulder, they drop from the sky. Airplanes and helicopters have extensive maintenance routines and highly trained pilots at the helm to keep them as safe as possible. There is no such thing for self-owned vehicles like this, at least yet. You think getting infrastructure to charge vehicles is difficult, this would be next level.

Reactions: Clonefan94

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Why the Jetsons doing Astro wrong like that?

Family pet can't even ride with the family?

**** you, George Jetson
It's hilarious that for all the advanced technology of the show, the dog was pulled behind using a string held by a kids arm that magically goes through glass.