Facebook shuts AI system down after it creates its own language

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I read an informative article about this weeks ago and it's not what these articles try to make it out to be. The program was designed to negotiate between computers using deep learning tactics. They actually used English words but made them not spoken English to be more efficient. It repeated words for count and emphasis based on past success. So negotiations were like "want i i i i i i give ball ball ball ball new" during negotiation with a ball and something else. They refer to that as a new language. And I believe they put new parameters in to ensure they used sensical phrases to ensure we know why they chose what they did. I'll find the article and post after my softball game.

Last edited:

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I read an informative article about this weeks ago and it's not what these articles try to make it out to be. The program was designed to negotiate between computers using deep learning tactics. They actually used English words bit made them not spoken English to be more efficient. It repeated words for count and emphasis based on past success. So negotiations were like "want i i i i i i give ball ball ball ball new" during negotiation with a ball and something else. They refer to that as a new language. And I believe they put new parameters in to ensure they used aensical phrases to ensure we know why they chose what they did. I'll find the article and post after my softball game.
That's not nearly as exciting.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Language evolves all the time. Heck, just the invention of texting has caused humans to invent a new language that is barely understood by those of us who were just taught English. It's not a stretch to think that computers could create a much more efficient language, hopefully, they keep us in the loop.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's not so different from playing chess, which computers have done really well for a long time now. You give the program an objective (maximize, minimize or optimize some variable), lay down some foundational ground rules, then tell it to do whatever it can within the rules to achieve the objective.

But it seems they are forgetting the follow rules part. I guess not much different them some people. What were they negotiating for? I didn't see it mentioned in the article.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here you go:
https://www.fastcodesign.com/90132632/ai-is-inventing-its-own-perfect-languages-should-we-let-it

I think anyone who reads this will come to different conclusions than they did from reading the other article.
Well apparently at least one of the computers is continuing to use English long enough to post this fake news and keep us off their trail.

tenor.gif

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I read an informative article about this weeks ago and it's not what these articles try to make it out to be. The program was designed to negotiate between computers using deep learning tactics. They actually used English words but made them not spoken English to be more efficient. It repeated words for count and emphasis based on past success. So negotiations were like "want i i i i i i give ball ball ball ball new" during negotiation with a ball and something else. They refer to that as a new language. And I believe they put new parameters in to ensure they used sensical phrases to ensure we know why they chose what they did. I'll find the article and post after my softball game.

So it's only a matter of time before they started with the "double plus good" type speak...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron