Fairfield Teacher Murdered

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I’d like Iowa to bring back the death penalty for these two. No hope. Firing squad if we could.

The victim’s family is not calling for this; they are showing some incredible grace. I don’t know the murderers and I think they should be locked up for the rest of their lives but they are 16 years old and will have decades to try to find a small way to contribute positively to the world. And if they don’t and are truly irredeemable, well, they’ll still be behind bars for their entire lives.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
I have a standing agreement with a buddy of mine who lives on the bayou for use of his marsh to destroy evidence if someone hurts my wife or daughters

I have a picture of some of the gators on his property I break out whenever a new boy comes around
Be careful, knew of an instance of a dad using a shotgun as a joke when a boyfriend came pick up his daughter for prom. He was charged and I think spent the night in jail.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Be careful, knew of an instance of a dad using a shotgun as a joke when a boyfriend came pick up his daughter for prom. He was charged and I think spent the night in jail.

It’s even worse because they would have to spend like 9 hours in the trunk of my car to get there.

For some reason, my daughters stopped bringing boys around.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Well, a quick check of records show at least in terms of this town it is not a myth. So it looks like one murder in nearly 15 years in a town of 10,000. That is an actual annual murder rate of 0.7 per 100,000. According to the link below that would put it between Glendale, CA and Gilbert, AZ as the 6th lowest murder rate among the ~350 cities w/ at least 100k people in the US. For reference DC was 10th highest at 22.8, or over 30x the murder rate per capita of Fairfield. So yes, despite this murder it is safer than almost every city in the US over 100k.
View attachment 91585

Iowa is a really safe place to live. Small town Iowa is usually even safer. Still stuff happens. Fairfield always seemed like a nice town to me, but I never spent more than a few hours there, and that was usually with my 12K biking friends.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Using murder rate to determine the safeness of a place seem a little foolish. There are so many more things that influence how safe I feel than whether or not I think I'm gonna get murdered. The reality is that most murders aren't random acts. They are committed by people close to their victims. I'd bet the random act of violence level is a lot more similar than murder rates would imply.

In addition, the environment one grows up in really determines ones feeling of safety. I grew up in a semi-busy urban area. I never felt safe visiting my friends farms in college and staying in a place that was dead quiet at night and no one locked a dang door. Meanwhile, give me a busy street and a deadbolt on a door and I'll sleep without a worry at night.

It isn't the perfect way to judge a town for violence, but it is a pretty good one. The fact that you don't feel safe in rural areas that have low crime rates is mostly on you. The numbers don't lie.

That being said, it is alway good to be somewhat on your guard. Idiots are everywhere, there just more organized in the urban areas.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It isn't the perfect way to judge a town for violence, but it is a pretty good one. The fact that you don't feel safe in rural areas that have low crime rates is mostly on you. The numbers don't lie.

That being said, it is alway good to be somewhat on your guard. Idiots are everywhere, there just more organized in the urban areas.

The perception of safety is interesting. Don't the crime stats say America is safer than the late 60s and 70s, but people like to say how they didn't lock their doors and kids ran free in those days?

I feel safer in the Chicago loop or LA than the small town I spent time in where meth and opioids have destroyed the community.

Maybe it's the perception an outsider

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The perception of safety is interesting. Don't the crime stats say America is safer than the late 60s and 70s, but people like to say how they didn't lock their doors and kids ran free in those days?

I feel safer in the Chicago loop or LA than the small town I spent time in where meth and opioids have destroyed the community.

Maybe it's the perception an outsider

You've got it. Perception >> reality. We are emotional and reactive creatures, especially for base things like personal safety.

And a big part is comfort and what you are used to. Im always on edge in big cities, because theres so many people you have to watch out for. People from cities probably find the isolation and aloneness of being out in the country unsettling.

• Agree

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You've got it. Perception >> reality. We are emotional and reactive creatures, especially for base things like personal safety.

And a big part is comfort and what you are used to. Im always on edge in big cities, because theres so many people you have to watch out for. People from cities probably find the isolation and aloneness of being out in the country unsettling.

An outsider in a small town doesn't make me feel safe and comfortable at all. It just doesn't.

And if the place has a downtown with collapsed buildings and every open garage seems to show a hoarder...

But it's all perception. I absolutely did not feel safe the last time I visited my hometown. Not surprisingly the per capita crime rate was also higher than Compton at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: CascadeClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If you want to feel safe don’t move to Marshalltown.
And yet, between 2006-2019 there were 4 murders, or a rate just over 1 per 100k. https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Marshalltown-Iowa.html

So you are almost 90x and 30x more likely to get murdered in STL or DC, respectively.

This murder is tragic and terrifying. But it does not change the fact that it is far safer in small towns than large cities, and it isn’t even close. I understand people feeling more comfortable in surroundings more familiar to them, even when it goes against reality.

• Agree

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It would appear this was a student who murdered a teacher over grades. It could happen in a small town or a big city, and the teacher could have been any race or gender. Why are people trying to make this into something it's not.

• Agree
Reactions: Raiders70 and arobb

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
And yet, between 2006-2019 there were 4 murders, or a rate just over 1 per 100k. https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Marshalltown-Iowa.html

So you are almost 90x and 30x more likely to get murdered in STL or DC, respectively.

This murder is tragic and terrifying. But it does not change the fact that it is far safer in small towns than large cities, and it isn’t even close. I understand people feeling more comfortable in surroundings more familiar to them, even when it goes against reality.
I was mostly joking about Marshalltown, although the one time I was there I witnessed a brawl between students and teachers out in the parking lot.(this was probably in the mid to late 90’s)

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown

Murder over the summer in Bondurant. The guy in from custody is actually from Lamoni originally.

• Dumb
Reactions: CloneJD

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Our school has some kind of appeal to the principal about grades, maybe try that before murder.

The principal made the math teacher keep giving a state qualifying wrestler a new algebra test until his grade was high enough to be eligible. Poor teacher kept using the same type of questions just using different numbers. Finally after he gave him the same ten question test with the exact same problems four times in a row, he got a high enough grade.

I have a question. Was his lack of success due to effort or due to just not being able to get algebra? I've always found it a bit impractical to hold people out of things or punish people based on anything other than lack of effort in high school. If the kid was mailing it in and just didn't give a ****, fine, hold him out and I realize that's the vast majority of cases like this in high school but there were instances when I was in high school, especially in math subjects where it was just really hard for people and it didn't seem like punishing them was really the answer.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
An outsider in a small town doesn't make me feel safe and comfortable at all. It just doesn't.

And if the place has a downtown with collapsed buildings and every open garage seems to show a hoarder...

But it's all perception. I absolutely did not feel safe the last time I visited my hometown. Not surprisingly the per capita crime rate was also higher than Compton at the time.

Murders usually occur between people that know each other.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have a question. Was his lack of success due to effort or due to just not being able to get algebra? I've always found it a bit impractical to hold people out of things or punish people based on anything other than lack of effort in high school. If the kid was mailing it in and just didn't give a ****, fine, hold him out and I realize that's the vast majority of cases like this in high school but there were instances when I was in high school, especially in math subjects where it was just really hard for people and it didn't seem like punishing them was really the answer.

Fairly sure it was effort. The teacher told him he knew he had practice after school but he would be at school an hour early to give him extra help. Also offered to help during his study hall. Wrestler rightly calculated the teacher would be forced to keep testing him. He was a sophomore in Algebra I, I don’t think it was rocket science.