Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just noticed that a member or two that I enjoyed conversing with are MIA, and no longer listed as members. I am sure it is a very frequent occurence to report someone's post when you don't like it or don't agree with it, but what about those who enjoy their comments? If a member gets reported, yet has a high rep, doesn't that mean that a large majority of members either agree with them, or don't find their posts offensive? Is there a criteria for eventual reinstatement?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
unless you are being a total *** or attacking someone, I doubt anyone would do anything about a post that is just not the same viewpoint as you have. I know darts and I used to get into it pretty good, and he was always 100% wrong, but we never got nasty about it. So I doubt any of our posts got reported. I bet there is less reporting of posts than you think. Heck I am the second most prolific poster, and I have never reported a post.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
unless you are being a total *** or attacking someone, I doubt anyone would do anything about a post that is just not the same viewpoint as you have. I know darts and I used to get into it pretty good, and he was always 100% wrong, but we never got nasty about it. So I doubt any of our posts got reported. I bet there is less reporting of posts than you think. Heck I am the second most prolific poster, and I have never reported a post.
I've never reported a post either, mainly because the people I disagree with are half the fun of having a discussion. Threads would suck if everyone just agreed on everything, particularly in the political cave. Possibly there are more sensitive members?

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I've never reported a post either, mainly because the people I disagree with are half the fun of having a discussion. Threads would suck if everyone just agreed on everything, particularly in the political cave. Possibly there are more sensitive members?

No one has been removed do to there beliefs. Constantly breaking site rules will get someone banned. And it usually means after multiple warnings.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
In particular, I miss herbiedoobie. I found his posts to be witty and sharp. He may have challenged some of the more illogical posts and users, but isn't that the intended purpose of a message board?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
No one has been removed do to there beliefs. Constantly breaking site rules will get someone banned. And it usually means after multiple warnings.
I understand that there has to be a criteria and system to keep it a friendly board, and I am all for that. I'm just weighing in with the other side of the story. Supporting my peeps you know:wink:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Herbie is the poster I speak of, though I am sure there are others. Every once in a while you just have an epiphany that so and so hasn't posted for a while, and you miss their input. Herbie had a way of being very direct with his points, but nothing that I found even mildly offensive.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I can assure you that ONLY members that repeatedly and purposely break rules are banished. Usually it takes severe actions to be banished forever and I can assure you that members are given ample warnings before being removed from the site.

Some good examples, without giving names, are members that repeatedly send vulgar PMs to members that are threatening or otherwise "bad", members that repeatedly break the posting rules even after being reminded and warned several times by mods via PMs and members that do other severely inappropriate things. Most of the time there are several warnings followed by a temporary ban followed by the permanent ban.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
i skipped the multiple warnings and went straight to the temporary ban. not trying to brag, just throwing it out there to see if anyone is impressed.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Ok... A member who makes threats I will agree has to go.

But people that create a little stir and make people think isn't that bad. I would hate it if we all become sheep on this board and always agree with everyone. What fun is that.

This board also became too sensitive. One person says one wrong thing and they get so much negative rep it isn't even funny. I can see if a person is constantly like that, but a new member could make a comment off the bat and be burried in Neg rep for ever.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Ok... A member who makes threats I will agree has to go.

But people that create a little stir and make people think isn't that bad. I would hate it if we all become sheep on this board and always agree with everyone. What fun is that.

This board also became too sensitive. One person says one wrong thing and they get so much negative rep it isn't even funny. I can see if a person is constantly like that, but a new member could make a comment off the bat and be burried in Neg rep for ever.

Nobody has been banned simply for creating a stir. There are numerous posters around here who do little else.

In my short time as a mod, only a handful of users have been permanently banned. Most all have been for making direct insults towards other members or repetitive rules breaking - usually language. All have had temp bans first.

I'm hard pressed to think of a single member banned, temp or perm, simply for "what" they've posted - aside from the language apect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron