Fantasy football help

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
So last year was the first year I got involved in a keeper league for fantasy football. This means I need to make a decision on who to keep in the next week. We apparently are keeping up to 5 players, but the benefit of not keeping more is you can draft in the earlier rounds. If I was forced to keep 5 I would keep Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, CJ Anderson, Mike Evans, and Deandre Hopkins. If I had to do it right this second I would only keep 3 in AP, Johnson, and Anderson. For what its worth we play with 1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 2 flex and 1 te.

Here is the rest of my team in positional order

QB: Joe Flacco, RGIII
RB: Adrian Peterson, CJ Anderson, Trent Richardson, Reggie Bush
WR: Calvin Johnson, Mike Evans, Deandre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, Keenan Allen, Cordarrelle Patterson & Anquan Boldin
TE: Larry Donnell & Kyle Rudolph

K&D irrelevant

All advice is welcome

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
hard to say without knowing exactly what picks you're giving up in exchange for selected a keeper, you were kind of vague on that front.

I think you have the three obvious keepers selected

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Well I did really poorly in the league after Peterson got suspended and Johnson played most of the season hurt, basically I would be picking in the top 3 picks of the original round, it would be a snake style draft after that. Again this is my first time doing it and it wasn't very well explained, but from what I understand, if I keep 3 that means the earliest I would pick would be the "4th" round.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
How many teams? I would probably keep all five and play to win the league this year. Looks pretty loaded.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Personally, out of that team, I would keep AP (1st round Value), Anderson (1/2 round value), Evans (2nd round value), Calvin (2/3 round value) and Hopkins (3/4 round value). That gives you a couple stud RB's and 3 stud WRs. Good base to build from.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
If I remember right there are only 10 teams, but with Benjamin from Carolina and Nelson in Green Bay going down with injuries top flight receivers will be hard to come by. I think it is probably in my best interest to keep all 5 at this point and hope I can get another quality player for that last flex position. All 5 of those guys look to be in the top 30 for ADP but I have reservations about 3 of the 5 due to other roster moves their teams made. Hopkins is now wr1 in houston but with a terrible qb, who knows what will happen with Evans because now Winston is in tampa, and Anderson still plays in a pass first offense with Monte Ball returning to full health to split the workload. OOORRR I could be over thinking all of this like I am prone to do.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So last year was the first year I got involved in a keeper league for fantasy football. This means I need to make a decision on who to keep in the next week. We apparently are keeping up to 5 players, but the benefit of not keeping more is you can draft in the earlier rounds. If I was forced to keep 5 I would keep Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, CJ Anderson, Mike Evans, and Deandre Hopkins. If I had to do it right this second I would only keep 3 in AP, Johnson, and Anderson. For what its worth we play with 1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 2 flex and 1 te.

WR: Calvin Johnson, Mike Evans, Deandre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, Keenan Allen, Cordarrelle Patterson & Anquan Boldin

K&D irrelevant

All advice is welcome

I've never played in a keeper league, but from what I understand it's all about VALUE when figuring out who to keep. So it's not as much about flagging the biggest names/studs on your roster and keeping them, but instead finding the best guys who cost you the least in terms of what round picks you lose by keeping them. CJ Anderson is a no-brainer, because I'm guessing he'll cost you little if anything in terms of what round you'd lose your pick.

Would help to know exactly how your league works in terms of what you lose when you keep a guy, and what rounds you drafted everyone last year.

If it's a 10-team league, you can do much better than Flacco at QB in my opinion. Also, Calvin's a stud but he's falling and isn't as highly ranked this year as he was last year.

Cycodolphan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2010

K&D irrelevant

All advice is welcome

If I understand it correctly, I'm pretty sure I would keep all 5 of the guys you listed.
If you're in a 10 team league and most guys are keeping their 3-5 best players, then the first rounds are gonna be super diluted anyways. The guys you would be keeping are the appropriate values for the top rounds, so you're probably best holding on to them.

Of course, if you knew what the rest of your league was doing it would clear this up even more.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
If I understand it correctly, I'm pretty sure I would keep all 5 of the guys you listed.
If you're in a 10 team league and most guys are keeping their 3-5 best players, then the first rounds are gonna be super diluted anyways. The guys you would be keeping are the appropriate values for the top rounds, so you're probably best holding on to them.

Of course, if you knew what the rest of your league was doing it would clear this up even more.

We have up until an hour before the draft (sept 3rd) to set our keepers, general conversations are that most are keeping 3 to 4, but even still all 5 of the guys I would keep are projected top 30 guys, in a ten team league you would expect to grab 3 top 30 guys, where as I can have 5 by holding on to the ones I have. I guess at this point does the risk of losing evans/hopkins or both outweigh the reward of the ability to draft some unknown player? My gut is telling me no, but I don't know if I am over valuing those guys.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Just checked the settings over lunch break, draft order is randomized, couldn't find anything on what I would lose by keeping players, would seem that by keeping players I just have to wait until a certain round to draft, so if I keep 5 I will wait until the 6th round to pick.

Cycodolphan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2010
Just checked the settings over lunch break, draft order is randomized, couldn't find anything on what I would lose by keeping players, would seem that by keeping players I just have to wait until a certain round to draft, so if I keep 5 I will wait until the 6th round to pick.

You have to keep in mind the age of Hopkins and Evans too. AP and CJ are great now, but Mike Evans is one of the most promising young receivers in the NFL. You could be keeping him for the next 10 years. (If thats is allowed under your rules of course)

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Keep all 5 and try to upgrade the QB. 5 is quite a bit for a keeper league.

The more I think about it the more this seems like the best option. And yeah I was shocked when the set the number so high, I was expecting 2 or 3 and having to make an actual difficult choice, but with 5 there seems to be a natural cutoff on my team.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
You have to keep in mind the age of Hopkins and Evans too. AP and CJ are great now, but Mike Evans is one of the most promising young receivers in the NFL. You could be keeping him for the next 10 years. (If thats is allowed under your rules of course)

Yeah I think it is allowed because the rules stated there would be keepers for 2016 as well, so I may try to target a rookie running back in this draft.