Farmageddon 2025 - Ireland

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
My extended family and myself have been thinking seriously about an Ireland-England-continent trip.

So, what I hope to learn eventually, since this would be my top overseas trip ever, is tips how to incorporate this Cyclone game into an overall immersive trip.

Advice from travel mavens would be highly prized. Thanks!
Look at CIE tours. Partially owned by the Irish government. On a tour of England with them right now and did Ireland 2016 and Scotland 2017

Reactions: CyValley

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Get your passport early. Takes longer than you think!

Always good advice to get it early, but just an FYI - if you've done that and it still hasn't arrived well after their projected timeframe, try reaching out to a state representative.

Our daughter's was taking forever, passport office told us it wasn't through the process yet, and wouldn't be done before our trip, so our only option was to drive to a regional office (closest one with an available appt was Chicago) to complete the process in person. Called congressman's office and they had it overnighted to our house within 3 days.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Always good advice to get it early, but just an FYI - if you've done that and it still hasn't arrived well after their projected timeframe, try reaching out to a state representative.

Our daughter's was taking forever, passport office told us it wasn't through the process yet, and wouldn't be done before our trip, so our only option was to drive to a regional office (closest one with an available appt was Chicago) to complete the process in person. Called congressman's office and they had it overnighted to our house within 3 days.
That has worked for just about everyone I know who has tried. I've had an issue with my passport and trusted traveler in the past two years, and my Congress person who represents District One here in Iowa has been zero help/unresponsive.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I've been to Ireland before.... I highly recommend it. Very fun place and the people are really nice. Guinness is fantastic, too. You won't regret going.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Ill be making the trip. I have over a year to convince my wife to allow a pit stop in Scotland on the way back to play St Andrews.

Edinburgh is totally worth it. Went there in the fall of 2018. Beer is expensive, but all the art museums are free. At the castle (not free), she can see where Mary, Queen of Scots, gave birth to James (future king of England), and then she can go to the lower town to visit the church where Agatha Christie got married. She can also visit Holyroodhouse, official Scottish residence of the UK royals.

Highly recommend staying at the Radisson Blu, a hop, skip and a bagpipe from the castle.

And haggis is a "well tidy scran". (don't worry, that means "tasty")

Reactions: johnstoncy

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
Check those Credit Card Benefits, a few have Pre-check/Global Entry reimbursement.

Also Global Entry is awesome. It includes TSA Pre-check. For immigration back into US you can use a mobile app where you enter flight info and take your photo allowing a quicker immigration process and customs should be a bit expedited. Get passport first, then you actually have to have booked international trip, then you can apply for Global Entry. You do have to go for a interview and finger print scan at an airport immigration office (Minneapolis, KC, Chicago, closest to Des Moines).

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Edinburgh is totally worth it. Went there in the fall of 2018. Beer is expensive, but all the art museums are free. At the castle (not free), she can see where Mary, Queen of Scots, gave birth to James (future king of England), and then she can go to the lower town to visit the church where Agatha Christie got married. She can also visit Holyroodhouse, official Scottish residence of the UK royals.

Highly recommend staying at the Radisson Blu, a hop, skip and a bagpipe from the castle.

And haggis is a "well tidy scran". (don't worry, that means "tasty")
If you venture outside of the main downtown touristy section, Beer is no more expensive than anywhere else.

Is it $3.00 bottles of Busch light cheap? No, but it's far better beer. I made up a pub crawl for myself and the wife as my birthday present when we were there in 2022, and routinely paid around $5.50-6 for a pint of something delicious we can't get on tap in the States.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
As I teacher and also an Iowa St grad… this game in Ireland doesn’t make too much sense. I’ve heard marketing and branding…but..this game will be watch by..an alum, a rival, and those that don’t want to sleep in. I know it sounds cool and exciting…doesn’t do much for me. Take away a chance for home fans (yes, I know we are away) to have an effect! I know many that would be pissed to lose a home game! Not one fan base ever wants that! With that… great friend with a k st grad and he isn’t happy! Negates home field and true farmageddon! Goodby big 12!
You know this will be week 0 right? If the schedule trends the same as it has in the past this will be the only high major game with like 3 g5 games being played on that day. It will be the ONLY game on major tv and after a long off season all fans look forward to football. This game will get 3-5 million viewers.

Outside of a conference championship game or playoff game this will be our most watched game of the 2025 season.

Reactions: aobie and MJ29

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
If you venture outside of the main downtown touristy section, Beer is no more expensive than anywhere else.

Is it $3.00 bottles of Busch light cheap? No, but it's far better beer. I made up a pub crawl for myself and the wife as my birthday present when we were there in 2022, and routinely paid around $5.50-6 for a pint of something delicious we can't get on tap in the States.

Depends on what a pound sterling is worth. But you're right, it's stoopid to drink what you can get at home when you're abroad.

Here's a run-down on current UK beer prices (not a guarantee of what they'll be in 2025).

Damn, I remember when the £ was worth nearly two bucks. Vive le Brexit! (except that I had to go through customs in Madrid while flying from Edinburgh to Seville, and wouldn't have had to if that wanker BoJo hadn't gotten his way)

Help Support Us

Become a patron