Faster Offense?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting article. Would be better if it was explained in noob fan level (noob = me) but I think your take is generally accurate.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Basically the setter just gets the ball to the hitters faster (low ball arch), and the hitters start their motion earlier. If you've seen Texas play, they are notorious for the "moon ball" where they set the ball really high to their hitters and they have to wait longer for it to come down. The opposing block can get ready with a slow offense and have to be quick and guess with a fast offense. Texas can run the moon ball cuz they can just hit over the block lol. I think we ran a slower offense in 2013 and weren't as good.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Basically the setter just gets the ball to the hitters faster (low ball arch), and the hitters start their motion earlier. If you've seen Texas play, they are notorious for the "moon ball" where they set the ball really high to their hitters and they have to wait longer for it to come down. The opposing block can get ready with a slow offense and have to be quick and guess with a fast offense. Texas can run the moon ball cuz they can just hit over the block lol. I think we ran a slower offense in 2013 and weren't as good.

True that but at least Hooker is gone!

Screen-shot-2011-09-05-at-11.17.15-PM.png

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Basically a 'quick' set is known as 'first' tempo, and is generally shorter and tighter to the net. The purpose is indeed to make it tougher for blockers to close and seal the block. For the most part, middles will always approach for a first tempo ball. If they prove proficient at executing the first tempo sets, they will almost always be able to hold (freeze) the opposing MB, who will have a hard time getting outside to close a block on a first or second tempo set to the OH/RS.

A perfect pass will always make a first tempo set easier to execute, and often - upon realizing that they will get a 'free' (non-attacked) ball, all three hitters will assume a first tempo set is coming.

For the most part, moon balls (third tempo) are considered an "out-of-system" set, usually because a poor pass makes setting anything quicker more difficult/risky. Of course, if you have a Hooker or an Eckerman, you know that even though the block will be set, they have the ability to hit over/around, or tool the block.

Most teams will be forced to adjust their defense for a proven 'faster' offense.