Favorite opening movie scene

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That was going to be my vote. It's a master class in exposition without a lot of dialogue. By the time it's over, you know exactly who Indy is, and who the primary villain is. It sets the stage for the entire film, if not the whole franchise.

Is Belloq really the "primary" villain? Not Toht (the guy made up to look like Himmler)?

I do agree with you it is great visual storytelling and worldbuilding, though.

The dissolve from the studio splash into the jungle mountain is perfect.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Honestly I love Gone in 60 Seconds.

Whish I could find the whole opening though.
"Kip that's not a tool... that's a damn brick!"

Reactions: alarson

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Is Belloq really the "primary" villain? Not Toht (the guy made up to look like Himmler)?

I do agree with you it is great visual storytelling and worldbuilding, though.

The dissolve from the studio splash into the jungle mountain is perfect.
It's definitely Belloq. At least Indy sees it that way. He doesn't call out to Toht when he threatens to blow up the Ark.

They're bitter rivals. They're both interested in the same woman. And the whole scene in the Cairo bar lays it out pretty plainly that Belloq is Indy's nemesis in the film. Toht is evil, but closer to Dietrich as far as importance goes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's definitely Belloq. At least Indy sees it that way. He doesn't call out to Toht when he threatens to blow up the Ark.

They're bitter rivals. They're both interested in the same woman. And the whole scene in the Cairo bar lays it out pretty plainly that Belloq is Indy's nemesis in the film. Toht is evil, but closer to Dietrich as far as importance goes.

Maybe. I don't know if there's really a "primary" villain. There's three.

There's Belloq -- essentially an "evil" version of Indiana for collaborating with the Nazis and allegorically the Vichy French before there was a Vichy French submitting to the Nazis.

Toht is pure Nazi evil. Like I said, he's cast, dressed, and made up to look like Heinrich Himmler, the main architect of the Holocaust and probably the most evil Nazi of them all. Belloq is an ******* but the worst he does is put Indy and Marion in easily-escapable situations. Toht was just about to torture and mutilate Marion with a red-hot poker because he thought it would be fun before Indy swoops back in.

Dietrich is one the same tier (the meathead German colonel who barks a lot of orders and openly advocates turning Toht loose on Marion while captive). He is notionally in charge of the whole thing.

All three of them get what is coming to them at the same time at the end in memorable fashion.

Each have their allegorical and practical contrasts to Indy and Marion.

Belloq does have the best counterpoint, though --

"We have always done the same kind of work. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. But if would have taken only a nudge to make you the same as me, to push you out of the light. You know it to be true! How nice. And how ironic the timing."

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For a comic book hero movie the opening of Blade has always been the best one to me even though it’s now ancient by comic book movie standards. Night club scene where the sprinkler system goes off with blood then Blade/Snipes shows up for an awesome action scene. Still cool now but was mind blowing at the time. MCU reboot is coming soon.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Patton walking onto the stage under the flag, addressing the troops. You don’t want to die for your country, you want the other poor ###### to die for his country!

Reactions: arobb

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Jackson sums up 3,000 years of stuff without making it a boring history class.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
The opening scene of Rundown where the Rock beats the crap out of everyone to take a Super Bowl ring

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That was going to be my vote. It's a master class in exposition without a lot of dialogue. By the time it's over, you know exactly who Indy is, and who the primary villain is. It sets the stage for the entire film, if not the whole franchise.
Also, Temple of Doom had a really good opening scene.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The opening scene of Blade was awesome. The first couple of movies were ok, but the first 5 minutes of the first movie were the best in the series.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Listen. Here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table then you are the sucker.

Help Support Us

Become a patron