Favorite Professor

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So I'm sitting here looking at my schedule for fall semester, does anyone have a favorite professor (either at ISU or anywhere else) and a story to possibly go with why they are your favorite professor?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Ken Kruempel because of SUPERNODES!

Ken Kruempel - Rofflehaus

In all seriousness, Dr. Kruempel was a really great professor and his class is really the first one that made me buckle down and actually work through a class and made me understand what I was working on.

He may be anal but he makes engineers pay much much more attention to the details

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Professor Paul Hollenbach/Religious studies.

Wonderful human being. Sadly...he developed Alzheimers later in life and I am pretty sure he has sinced passed away.

A caring individual.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I took a EE class for non EE majors taught by some guy that kind of looked like a muppet. I think his name was Bartlett, or Barret, or something. He talked about music a lot, and speakers, and all the engineering related to that, and somewhere about halfway through the semeseter he threw out the engineering. He said we weren't doube E's, so we'd never need that stuff anyway and instead he talked about interviewing skills, how to answer certain questions that all interviewers asked, how to negotiate job offers, etc. Turned out to be one of the most important classes I took at ISU.

By the way, during the Engineering portion of this class, I don't think anyone ever scored above 50% on his tests. Man they were hard. The nice thing was, the last day of class he called people up individually to show them their grade in his book. I went up and he pointed to the B next to my name. I kind of sighed and said "ok" and he said, "Hang on, how's this" and he erased the B and penciled in an A.

Last edited:

dmcbrady

Apr 1, 2008
Wichita, Kansas
Fred Haan

I think the class was Aero 161 or something along those lines (was 5 years ago). Suddenly, in the middle of lecture he starts to sniff and asks, "Do you guys smell something?" We all are looking at eachother like, "Well, it is Gilman, so we always smell something". He continues, "No i seriously smell something". He walks into the hall and comes back with cookies for the class.:wink:

Or another story with him was opening day for the Cubs he did an entire lecture with his baseball glove on. Didn't mention anything about, just did the lecture with his glove.

Last edited:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Eric Northway, Religious Studies. I took 205: Intro to World Religions as an elective because I thought it would be interesting. It was! I also learned a lot and Northway made the class entertaining and very enjoyable (not to mention, easy). I liked it so much I took 210: World Religion in America in the summer from him and had the same experience. Great guy!

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
David Stuart - History of Rock n Roll, etc. Awesome teacher and a good friend

Kathleen Waggoner - Law & Politics & American Judicial Practices. Great Teacher and thought provoking subject matter. She could be a little intimidating to speak to initially, especially with that contraption on her hand and arm, but she was one of my favorite professors there.

Steffan Schmidt - Great guy, Great Educator

Last edited:

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Belknap--Phil 230--the guy tutored death row inmates in Nebraska while he worked on one of his degrees, and had some awesome stories about it. It was the first class that I actually wanted to attend everyday and I hated missing because I knew I'd miss a example that makes things "click" or a good story.

Curtis--Acct 215--former mayor of Ames, lost a finger to a lawn mower, loved going to his class. Had no interest in law beforehand but now I just want to know more.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I think I will split the honor between Dr. Apt and Dr. K. G. Madison.

Dr. Apt, (who taught military history at ISU) until he was taken from us, was the most enthusiastic lecturer I've EVER heard speak. And there was never a class that he "just mailed in".

I remember listening to him with rapt attention, as he got more and more worked up over the topic of the day. He just had "it".

Dr. K.G. Madison taught medieval history, and had a personable manner that was hard to beat. I was an awful writer, until he sat me down in his office once, and in a 30 minute session, taught me all one needed to know in how to write a paper.

After that one lesson, I blossomed into a good writer.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Belknap--Phil 230--the guy tutored death row inmates in Nebraska while he worked on one of his degrees, and had some awesome stories about it. It was the first class that I actually wanted to attend everyday and I hated missing because I knew I'd miss a example that makes things "click" or a good story.

Curtis--Acct 215--former mayor of Ames, lost a finger to a lawn mower, loved going to his class. Had no interest in law beforehand but now I just want to know more.
Sweet! Have him this semester for Acct 215 :biggrin:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
David Stuart - History of Rock n Roll, etc.
Kathleen Waggoner - Law & Politics & American Judicial Practices. Great Teacher and thought provoking subject matter.
Steffan Schmidt - Great guy, Great Educator

I LOVED his Poli Sci 215 class. He was really funny and had tons of information. I loved it when he would break into a story and start yelling in spanish. Great class and great prof.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Dr. Charles T. Wright, Computer Engineering. Explained interrupts with a parable about his wife making him a sandwich. Sadly he died in a car accident near Eldora in 2000 my senior year at ISU.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
ISU - Professor Wilsey, Biology. He was just a funny guy (not intentionally), but didn't seem to care. Somehow knew my name by the end of the class (class size of 250).

Iowa - Professor Holstein, Judeo-Christian studies. Profiles - Jay Holstein - fyi - December 11, 2006 - The University of Iowa

Probably the best professor in terms of keeping the interest of the class. He was just amazing at getting people to come back - even though what he was teaching isn't particularly interesting to most.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
David Stuart was pretty good.
Curt Hoff really isn't a professor but is pretty good.
Gotta love the Geo 100 lady. (can't think of her name)
Gary Koppenhaver was a good teacher and I learned the most in that class.
HDFS 276 lady had some funny moments.

And of course Fred Choobineh

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Mike Crum - Transportation

I used him as a reference for pretty much every logistics class I had and still use him to this day for projects I do in my career. He was, and still is, always happy to help.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Choobineh? That guy lived in a fantasy world. Could ramble on and on about his brilliance. Ofcourse, all his stories were lies.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Have him this semester for MIS 330!

After some deliberations, my favorite professor so far (2 semesters at ISU) is Dan Krier. I thought his class was hard as can be, but I learned a lot. Maybe had I opened the book during the semester I would have done better. He had an obsession with "modernity", but was very knowledgable.

Another one I really liked was Anne Clem. Her Accounting 284 class was extremely easy, but she didn't just hand you an A. You had to do the homework and ok on the tests. Enjoyed going to class because you could always count on an interesting story from her family happenings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron