Feeling a little sorry for Notre Dame WBB...

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Kind of off topic here fanatics, but I watched the Big East championship last night and feel sorry for Notre Dame and their coach Muffet McGraw (Coach Fennelly used to be her assistant WAY back when). Notre Dame won the 2001 National Championship and have been to the Final Four twice and Sweet 16 eight times. Muffet is being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.

HOWEVER, despite all that success, they have never ever in school history won a Big East Championship! Can you believe that? UConn has won 18 Big East titles and Notre Dame has won zero. They have been to the title game 8 times and lost all 8. Amazing. Imagine having to be motivated to compete every single day in that league knowing the big gorilla waiting for you at the top?

By comparison, the Big East makes the Big 12 tourney champions race seem pretty balanced over the years, with ISU, K-State, OU, TAMU, and Baylor generally always in the mix.

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
I don't know how long they have been playing the tournament on UCONN's second home court in downtown Hartford but what do you expect.

They have some talented teams but I always think they are overrated. The conference is so large you play everyone once and only three team twice during the season. People complain about the Big 12 and fell it is unbalance with the North and South but at least you play half the conference twice.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Kind of off topic here fanatics, but I watched the Big East championship last night and feel sorry for Notre Dame and their coach Muffet McGraw (Coach Fennelly used to be her assistant WAY back when). Notre Dame won the 2001 National Championship and have been to the Final Four twice and Sweet 16 eight times. Muffet is being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.

HOWEVER, despite all that success, they have never ever in school history won a Big East Championship! Can you believe that? UConn has won 18 Big East titles and Notre Dame has won zero. They have been to the title game 8 times and lost all 8. Amazing. Imagine having to be motivated to compete every single day in that league knowing the big gorilla waiting for you at the top?

By comparison, the Big East makes the Big 12 tourney champions race seem pretty balanced over the years, with ISU, K-State, OU, TAMU, and Baylor generally always in the mix.

While in principle I agree with what you are saying it is really hard to feel bad for a school that believes they are so elite that they deserve their own TV contract for football yet cherry pick the Big East for basketball and a few other lessor sports. Notre Dumb can suck it.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

One of those ncaa tourney runs included a win over ISU that ended the career at ISU for Megan Taylor. So hell no do I feel sorry for her.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
???

Megan Taylor's last game was a loss to Vandy, not ND. Vandy was coached by current Ohio State coach Jim Foster.

I stand corrected. Notre Dame was at that regional in Denver as I was there and we would of played them had we won. Excuse me for being wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron